GDT: NXT TakeOver New York (5th April 2019) - FRIDAY SHOW!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Everyone loved it, it just happened to be the 4th best match on a show that only had 5 matches.

Well, as definitive as this post attempts to seem, definitely have to disagree. Comfortably a top three match on the show, for me number two.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well, as definitive as this post attempts to seem, definitely have to disagree. Comfortably a top three match on the show, for me number two.

The point is the card had 5 matches which every match many people had at at least 4 stars. The spot they did on the ropes was one of the 3 or 4 best spots on the show. They had an excellent finish. You’re more than welcome to discuss it further.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The point is the card had 5 matches which every match many people had at at least 4 stars. The spot they did on the ropes was one of the 3 or 4 best spots on the show. They had an excellent finish. You’re more than welcome to discuss it further.

Tremendous, and you're certainly entitled to think that it was the fourth best match on the show. Perhaps if you are specifically looking for spots it makes sense. In no way is that a definitive take though, even if it was presented as such.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tremendous, and you're certainly entitled to think that it was the fourth best match on the show. Perhaps if you are specifically looking for spots it makes sense. In no way is that a definitive take though, even if it was presented as such.

I thought it was 3rd best so that wasn’t even my own take. Maybe you should say what you want to say about the match instead of analyzing the posts.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I thought it was 3rd best so that wasn’t even my own take. Maybe you should say what you want to say about the match instead of analyzing the posts.

As long as I'm on topic I think I'll post what I want. I don't quite see how you can say that it was the third best match after calling it the fourth best match on a five match card though. I've given my thoughts on the match already - quite a good match, second best of the night and close to first. I liked Riddle's in ring (I didn't really like some of his earlier stuff, but the potential was there) and Velveteen Dream always does a good job with his character work. He still needs some work in ring though.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As long as I'm on topic I think I'll post what I want. I don't quite see how you can say that it was the third best match after calling it the fourth best match on a five match card though. I've given my thoughts on the match already - quite a good match, second best of the night and close to first. I liked Riddle's in ring (I didn't really like some of his earlier stuff, but the potential was there) and Velveteen Dream always does a good job with his character work. He still needs some work in ring though.
I was pretty surprised he won but not surprised the crowd was for him. To a degree I think parts of it overdelivered as it seemed VD’s work was more important than it was previously compared to doing his character. Riddle also adapted well getting some heat on himself.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
Dave has spoken. congrats NXT.
NXT Takeover New York:
Ricochet & Aleister Black/War Raiders: 4.50 Stars
Matt Riddle/Velveteen Dream: 4.50 Stars
Pete Dunne/WALTER: 4.75 Stars
Io Shirai/Kairi Sane/Bianca Belair/Shayna Baszler: 3.75 Stars
Adam Cole/Johnny Gargano: 5.50 Stars

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Dave has spoken. congrats NXT.
NXT Takeover New York:
Ricochet & Aleister Black/War Raiders: 4.50 Stars
Matt Riddle/Velveteen Dream: 4.50 Stars
Pete Dunne/WALTER: 4.75 Stars
Io Shirai/Kairi Sane/Bianca Belair/Shayna Baszler: 3.75 Stars
Adam Cole/Johnny Gargano: 5.50 Stars

I am so proud of that final score. So proud. I totally agree with all of those scores and I am extremely happy Johnny Takeover and Adam Cole (2 of my absolute favorites) pulled it off.

f*** yes.

Reactions: Disclose

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I am so proud of that final score. So proud. I totally agree with all of those scores and I am extremely happy Johnny Takeover and Adam Cole (2 of my absolute favorites) pulled it off.

**** yes.

This is meant as a real question. Why would anyone be proud about a score that a wrestling reporter gave a match? If a person is a fan of the two wrestlers and thinks that they put on a great match, what else is there to care about?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wow so I have now been live for a 5-star match and a 5 1/2-star match. And a show average of 4.6.

I still have to watch the Pete Dunne/Walter match on the network, that match was not as heated in the building as the accolades for it makes it seem. Felt very much like a New Japan match in that regard where it just builds to a number of spots as opposed a start-to-finish crescendo. I thought there would be more chops to get it over.

This is meant as a real question. Why would anyone be proud about a score that a wrestling reporter gave a match? If a person is a fan of the two wrestlers and thinks that they put on a great match, what else is there to care about?
It's the originator of the system which has been acknowledged as an achievement by other wrestlers. Dave himself will tell you that too many people put more value in it than it's worth.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's the originator of the system which has been acknowledged as an achievement by other wrestlers. Dave himself will tell you that too many people put more value in it than it's worth.

He didn't originate the system, Cornette and someone I can't remember off the top of my head did, but I know that wrestlers pay attention to it. Bret Hart even wrote about feeling honoured (or something along those lines) by getting five star Meltzer reviews. For me it is an honest question though. The guy is a really good reporter. I never viewed his match ratings as more than a frivolity, but plenty of fans and, as you note, wrestlers put a lot of stock into it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Oh it's definitely just someone's opinion but @GKJ said it perfectly. Whether people like it or not, his ratings have mattered and that fire in NXT is there. I think to have that tied in as the first ever WWE match getting over 5 stars and being attached to NXT/Gargano/Cole.... it's just awesome.

Does it really matter at the end of the day? Nah. But it's like when (old school) video game magazines used to give high ratings to games. It would be talked about amongst the fans. Or if a movie is highly ranked on a website that has respect - it gets talked about.

So for me personally being a wrestling fan, I'm just proud my favorite brand and favorite wrestlers are doing things that are shaking the wrestling world.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
He didn't originate the system, Cornette and someone I can't remember off the top of my head did, but I know that wrestlers pay attention to it. Bret Hart even wrote about feeling honoured (or something along those lines) by getting five star Meltzer reviews. For me it is an honest question though. The guy is a really good reporter. I never viewed his match ratings as more than a frivolity, but plenty of fans and, as you note, wrestlers put a lot of stock into it.
Weasel Doolie.
Dave was on Cornette's show and backed it up too.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It’s all a matter of opinion at the end of the day. Some people like a certain style and loathe others and various types of matches. It’s why I think I’m like the only one here who has Dunne/WALTER at 5 stars over Cole/Gargano. They worked my favourite type of match to perfection imo.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Oh it's definitely just someone's opinion but @GKJ said it perfectly. Whether people like it or not, his ratings have mattered and that fire in NXT is there. I think to have that tied in as the first ever WWE match getting over 5 stars and being attached to NXT/Gargano/Cole.... it's just awesome.

Does it really matter at the end of the day? Nah. But it's like when (old school) video game magazines used to give high ratings to games. It would be talked about amongst the fans. Or if a movie is highly ranked on a website that has respect - it gets talked about.

So for me personally being a wrestling fan, I'm just proud my favorite brand and favorite wrestlers are doing things that are shaking the wrestling world.

Fair enough then, at least it is certainly a match worthy of praise and it does garner them a bit more attention.

Weasel Doolie.
Dave was on Cornette's show and backed it up too.

Yes, that's it. They also waited less time to go above the five star mark than Meltzer ever did.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

It matters way more now than it did before because now match quality actually makes people money on the indies, and people see a need to be some kind of empirical data to link it to, even if its existence is subjective. That said its lineage is to the 4-star movie rating system, which isn't want decides which movies make the most money of course.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
It’s all a matter of opinion at the end of the day. Some people like a certain style and loathe others and various types of matches. It’s why I think I’m like the only one here who has Dunne/WALTER at 5 stars over Cole/Gargano. They worked my favourite type of match to perfection imo.
If I rated matches I'd have the Walter match at the top too.

But I have a binary system 'cos arguments over degrees of greatness are pointless. The entire show falls in the "worth watching" category, opposed to the "not worth watching" one, so w/e.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Am I the only one around here that loved Riddle vs Dream??

I loved it and I thought the German Suplex spot on the ropes was ridiculous. And most nights that would be a top 2 match on the card.

I have it as the 4th best match but in the very least it's a 4.25-4.5 star match to me. I just thought Rocochet & Black vs War Raiders, Walter/Dunne and Cole/Gargano were better.

Calling it 4th best isn't meant to be an insult to the match but an insane compliment to the show as a whole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad