OT: Nwhl

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I had no idea the pro women's hockey league was starting so soon. But it starts today, and you can stream all the games free this year.

http://nwhl.co/cross-ice-pass/

I always enjoyed watching the women's Olympic hockey games. This could be fun. Besides, it's more hockey :)

edit: Not sure why I cant get the title to be in all caps...

It's an admin setting.

I've been hearing about it off and on all summer. I think it's cool. Hard to truly get invested without a team in Philly.

If their business model works, then great. The issue I see is that there's now two pro women's hockey leagues, and the first one only barely gets by. It'd be nice if the NHL helped them out a bit, but ultimately I think the two leagues will have to come together at some point in order to work.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
What is the other pro league?

I agree about hard to really get into it without a team in Philly, but I suspect if it does well Philly will be one of the first expansion teams.

The first game of the season was sold out early, so that is a plus.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
The other league is the Canadian Women's Hockey League. The big difference between them now is that only the NWHL pays its players. It seems that for now, most Canadian players are staying in the CWHL while a lot of Americans are going to the NWHL.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
I see. Well, competition doesnt hurt. Maybe both leagues will merge one day :)

Some names to watch:

Alexandra Carpenter (New York Riveters): 82 points in 37 games last year at Boston College.
Hanna Brandt (Connecticut Whale): 70 points in 38 games.
Emerance Maschmeyer (Boston Pride): 1.56 GAA in 3 years at Harvard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad