NWHL and NHL linking up

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Apparently, the NHL is strengthening ties with the NWHL. What this means in terms of the NWHL I am not entirely sure. But on a hockey mailing list I belong to, it was said that the NWHL is withdrawing from Hockey Canada and moving to becoming a professional league. Which also means that the roster restrictions that are currently imposed by Hockey Canada will be removed. I wonder what this means as far as the Western Women's Hockey League? I guess this means that the top Oval-Xtreme players from Calgary, such as Hayley Wickenheiser will go out East and play for a salary as opposed to being in an amateur league. Does anyone know if professional women's players are allowed to play in IIHF events and the Olympics?

Here's the link for the NWHL press release: http://www.nwhlhockey.com/news.php?announce=39#news

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Shootmaster_44 said:
Does anyone know if professional women's players are allowed to play in IIHF events and the Olympics?

Why wouldn't they? The men are...

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
My wife and I have been calling for this for years now. I'd love to see a couple of promo nights, where it's a doubleheader, women's game then men's game, maybe an extra 5 bucks for a ticket. Women's hockey is getting so much better around the world, but it needs some promotion to become more mainstream.

cooksond

Apr 11, 2006
This is great for the women's game in Canada. Maybe it will allow for these players to actually make a little money and gain a little well-deserved recognition on the national scene. However, having said that, the first concern for the women's game in Canada should be getting a truly National League, or at least a National Championship. Currently, that isn't happening. The NWHL champions should, at the very least, be playing the WWHL champs for national supremacy with the goal of unification down the road. Both leagues are high quality with National team members (Wickenheiser and Campbell are regulars in Calgary, Cammi Granato played a year in Vancouver, Edmonton has some Olympians, Minnesota has some US olympians and Saskatchewan has at least 1 former national team member, along with former CIS stars on all the teams). Maybe coming up with a unified position before searching for a partner like the NHL would have been better. To me, it just seems like they skipped a step.

72projectmgr

May 3, 2006
Shootmaster_44 said:
Apparently, the NHL is strengthening ties with the NWHL. What this means in terms of the NWHL I am not entirely sure. But on a hockey mailing list I belong to, it was said that the NWHL is withdrawing from Hockey Canada and moving to becoming a professional league. Which also means that the roster restrictions that are currently imposed by Hockey Canada will be removed. I wonder what this means as far as the Western Women's Hockey League? I guess this means that the top Oval-Xtreme players from Calgary, such as Hayley Wickenheiser will go out East and play for a salary as opposed to being in an amateur league. Does anyone know if professional women's players are allowed to play in IIHF events and the Olympics?

Here's the link for the NWHL press release: http://www.nwhlhockey.com/news.php?announce=39#news

Sponsorship and funding?
Hockey Canada or revenues?
Gauranteed or chance?
The media coined the Womens Stanley Cup in the link you suggested, but did you read the article? Tax write off at best not support.

Last edited:

canuckhound73

if this is infact true, great.

The Hockey Canada roster sanctions are what downed the first franchise in Vancouver.

Now that the WWHL & NWHL have come to their senses & merged together for good, they NEED to be able to take steps forward & that cant happen as long as a team cant carry more than 3 non-canadian players.

By making it a pro league, this would not only help teams fill roster spots with Americans & overseas players, it will help other countries develop some of their talent, by having them compete against some of our best.

Bytown

Mar 8, 2003
This won't happan any time soon.

1)Teams do not draw fans teams avg from 20-100 a game with half of those beeing free tickets.

2)As with sponcership teams and the league have very few.

3)Half of the teams as of now are just staying afloat.It does costs $$$$ to run a nwhl team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad