Nutrition and diet help while working nights

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Ive been on this journey thats fluctuated over the last year. in all ive lost 30 pounds to date but as i said its been a rollercoaster.

Im going to start working nights in a few weeks for a project and the last time i went on a long stint of nights i gained 30 pounds.

I dont want to lost the little momentum ive gained the last 2 months and want to continue to try and get healthier.

Anyone have reccomendations for dieting and staying healthy while working at night.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Never worked nights, but I would suggest picking up a pair of Uvex blue light blocking glasses. Tried to link it but couldn't. They're on Amazon for about $8.

Been using for about a year now. I put them on 1-2 hours before I go to sleep and they work.

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
Maybe start by telling us why you gained weight last time you worked at night. Lack of exercise? Eating workplace junk?

If it's the latter, then all it takes is some self control. Make your own meals, microwave them at work. If you don't have a microwave oven then eat your meals cold. I used to do this when I was working on the road all day. Cold meals, I find are actually not bad at all. Just takes a little getting used to.

Reactions: irunthepeg

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I work nights. 4, 10 hour days. I only workout on my days off/first day of work, so I usually get to the gym 4 days a week. As far as diet goes I'm still trying to lose weight, so I do OMAD (one meal a day), so I'll have my meal around 5pm and that will be it. That is what has worked for me.

It should be noted that when I first went on nights I gained like 30 pounds as well. I didn't go to the gym at all and my diet sucked. It's real easy to put on the weight when you work nights.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I work nights. 4, 10 hour days. I only workout on my days off/first day of work, so I usually get to the gym 4 days a week. As far as diet goes I'm still trying to lose weight, so I do OMAD (one meal a day), so I'll have my meal around 5pm and that will be it. That is what has worked for me.

It should be noted that when I first went on nights I gained like 30 pounds as well. I didn't go to the gym at all and my diet sucked. It's real easy to put on the weight when you work nights.

Losing/gaining weight is as simple as calories in < calories out. If you're more active when you're not on nights, figure out how many calories you'd need per day with little activity and then adjust your diet as such. If you don't change your calorie intake you shouldn't really gain much, if at all. My theory is you probably go to the vending machine more on nights? Or fast food? Something changes with your diet and that causes the weight gain. Just try stick with the food you've been eating so far. And good luck with the intermittent fasting (essentially making your window that one meal). Have never tried it but I've heard it works.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
As somebody who has never worked nights, would you mind explaining to me why you feel like nights cause you to gain weight?

Congratulations on losing 30 lbs btw, that’s awesome progress!

Oct 18, 2011
Speaking from my own experience, I worked a very physical night job and was miserable I couldn't sleep at all, it killed my energy for the gym and I could never master a proper eating regimen. I lost weight but I honestly felt like shit all the time. Good luck

amj h

Apr 11, 2018
Eat 15 to 40 pieces of fruit every hour and 2 to3 bowls of pasta a day. Cook the pasta at home and take it to work.

Getting the fruit is toughr. I'd juice a lot of fruit at home and take the juice to work.

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
Eat 15 to 40 pieces of fruit every hour and 2 to3 bowls of pasta a day. Cook the pasta at home and take it to work.

Getting the fruit is toughr. I'd juice a lot of fruit at home and take the juice to work.

What do you mean by pieces? If you mean servings, wouldn't that be a little excessive?

amj h

Apr 11, 2018
What do you mean by pieces? If you mean servings, wouldn't that be a little excessive?
A piece means 1 apple, or one banana or 1 grapefruit.

So for 15 pieces of fruit you can have 5 grape fruits, 2 mangos 5 apples and 3 bananas. 5+2+5+3=15.

You will be surprised at how much fruit you can eat and still lose weight. Only works with fruit though.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
For me when i work nights and from the other people ive spoken to i crave suger over night. From what i read thats normal as your body was not meant to be up at night. I tend to eat crap stuff thats readily available from gas stations and such. Even when i get the normal 8hs of sleep im still exhausted and miserable and have no motivition to do anything else. Not seeing the sun 5 days a week is miserable.

Reactions: CLW

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I have a question about food. I want to replace pasta because it transforms in sugar or fat.
I try bean sprouts but the problem is the seasonning, soya sauce is very sugar, what is the alternative without sugar for the soya sauce and still have something good for taste. My receipe mix with other vegetables and chicken or other meat.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I have a question about food. I want to replace pasta because it transforms in sugar or fat.
I try bean sprouts but the problem is the seasonning, soya sauce is very sugar, what is the alternative without sugar for the soya sauce and still have something good for taste. My receipe mix with other vegetables and chicken or other meat.

Steam shredded cabbage as an alternate to pasta

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
For me when i work nights and from the other people ive spoken to i crave suger over night. From what i read thats normal as your body was not meant to be up at night. I tend to eat crap stuff thats readily available from gas stations and such. Even when i get the normal 8hs of sleep im still exhausted and miserable and have no motivition to do anything else. Not seeing the sun 5 days a week is miserable.

I had the same issue when I worked nights so i found a 24 hr grocery store and made a point to stop by almost every day after my shift. That slowed down my fast food intake substantially since i could pick up one of those oven roasted chicken or some premade salads when i lacked the motivation to cook after work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad