Line Combos: Nutivaara/ Kiersted/ Juulsen/ Connauton/ Stillman

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Who do you think is the pick to be paired with Strålman? I understand Q wants to keep everyone fresh, and will probably rotate the three someone evenly, Health dependence.

Nuti kind of gives that defensive structure. He seems good in his own end, can handle the body, and knows how to get puck out. Also he is pretty good at holding the opposition blue line and getting pucks on net.

Fors had a good game last night (Wednesday February 17th at Carolina.) I was watching hìm most of the game, and through the first two periods I thought this guy gives a lot of room in his defensive Zone gaps coming over his own Blue Line. Plus he kind of shies away from the body. Boy did I see a different player in the third period! He is first an offensive defenseman from what I can tell, but doesn't shy away from the body at times, and his speed makes him able to handle his own defensively. Just has to keep up with smart decisions on the puck. I noticed last game, and his last game, he has trouble sometimes getting the puck over his own Blue Line when he exits. In hìs second last game he had a brutal turnover that would have led to a goal, except Judge saved his bacon. Looking forward to seeing him more.

Juul has been mostly good, but his last game wasn't that good. His last game he got caught out of position, as well as turned the puck over a few times. He is a prototypical two-way defenseman I'd say. He hammers the body, has a heavy shot, and can also skate very well. He is very interesting to me. Again, I would like to see him get another shot.

I would do a poll, but I think everyone's personal answer would change almost game by game. You could select one option today, and then in a week want another defenseman.

I think Q will put in whoever is playing the best at the moment, and who matches up the best against an opposition. A good problem to have to say the least.

Last edited:

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
With Juulsen there are five righties and only Yandle shooting left. It can be a bit limiting.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Basically, they all need to play more, as they haven't played much over the last couple years. Especially Juulsen. But it's also good that they dont play all games. That might lead to mistakes. This is a good season to ease them all in. Less so in Nuti's case, but we also have to play them all to keep them all fresh. I think it's safe to say that one of these guys or Gudas gets claimed by Seattle. It's good that we'll still have 7 solid d-men for next season though. I think they're all headed in the right direction, Juulsen looks the most rusty but that's understandable.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I figured Nuti would impress more but haven't been overly happy so far.
Seem to remember him getting caught in NZ a fair bit when paired with Stralman.

Forsling and Juulsen seem to have some upside as fringe top 4 guys.
Forsling is a decent skater, on display last night and his compete is noticeable.

Juulsen has the makings of a Gudas like defenseman which I love but he just needs more games to gain confidence and muscle/brain memory.

Think all 3 likely split the 56 games, so they all play around 17-20ish games?
Less if we add a top 4 D through trade.
Q will ride the hot hand and has been doing a good job so far with taxi squad.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
lets be honest they are all better than matheson because they generally make strong decisions.
Do they? Juulsen was all over the place, and Nuti has gone on several ill-timed rushes where he lost the puck in very Matheson-like fashion. I don't mind it and trust that they are just rusty though.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Depends if Forsling makes a mistake ;) We have the five players we play. I do wonder if we Nuti instead of Yandle would make for a better all around team
It might, but it would never happen. No way Yands gets his streak broken by a healthy scratch now, unless he bombs! His offense would really have to dry up.

If Fors does make a mistake and sits on Saturday, I could see Nuti going in. More defensively responsible.

If Fors plays OK, maybe Juuls goes, since it's a B2B.. :dunno:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I know this won't be popular, but I would switch Forsling and Weegar for a bit. I would love to see Ekblad with someone who won't hog the puck. And actually passes it back to him when it's called for. And I think Forsling's all around game can handle the position.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I know this won't be popular, but I would switch Forsling and Weegar for a bit. I would love to see Ekblad with someone who won't hog the puck. And actually passes it back to him when it's called for. And I think Forsling's all around game can handle the position.
Interesting thought. I don't think it will happen though because Ek and Weegs are our shutdown pair. The offensive dynamics could get a positive impulse but defensively I believe it would be a step back.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
That would certainly expose any weaknesses in Forsling's game. Weegar-Strålman would be interesting to see, as I don't love the Strålman-Gudas shutdown combo so far.

Reactions: austropanther

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Lets be real here: Juulsen, and Forsling are JAGs.

Playing any one of them in top 4 for an extended period of time is asking for trouble.

Nuutivara's impact has been above what is expected so maybe he is suited for a larger role?

I think Q is doing the right thing cycling players in and out with the compressed schedule.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Lets be real here: Juulsen, and Forsling are JAGs.

Playing any one of them in top 4 for an extended period of time is asking for trouble.

Nuutivara's impact has been above what is expected so maybe he is suited for a larger role?

I think Q is doing the right thing cycling players in and out with the compressed schedule.
What’s a jag?

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I also wonder why they would think Juuls is a jag, when he is a former first round pick from not that long ago?

A first round pick from five years ago. That doesn't carry much weight nowadays. Hasn't done much to cash in on that promise.
imo he's already good as gone since he goes back to waivers if and when he needs to report to Syracuse.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
A first round pick from five years ago. That doesn't carry much weight nowadays. Hasn't done much to cash in on that promise.
imo he's already good as gone since he goes back to waivers if and when he needs to report to Syracuse.
he has missed a year-and-a-half with a serious eye injury. He has only played in three games since said injury.

Reactions: KW

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
he has missed a year-and-a-half with a serious eye injury. He has only played in three games since said injury.

Sure, but he got added as a depth guy who has only a very narrow window of opportunity. In the Bolts game he got benched after 5mins of TOI so the writing is already on the wall.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Exactly. He may well become super solid. He’s got the wheels and the brain (unlike say Matheson) so it’s a great gamble to pick him up.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
It's obvious now that Fors has jumped to the top of this group.
The Dallas goalie being the first star, but I think he at least deserves the third star, if not the second. Guy played out of his mind!

Reactions: Pepe Cahones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad