Nurse vs Butcher

Nurse or Butcher

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
weird response in a thread where both defencemen would be on your top pairing but sure

Ignoring offensive production, nurse is clearly the better player. I don't see this one as being close.

Absolutely both are better than our LD but I don't see these two players as being close at all.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
lmao how is nurse better than mete and kulak

oh wait forgot this site is under some impression that the habs LD suck

Montreal’s RD, G, and W obliterate Edmonton’s, but C and LD are Edmonton in a landslide. Montreal’s left side *does* suck.

Either Nurse or Butcher are better than anything they have on the left side. The right side is a completely different story.

Edmonton being an awful team doesn’t mean all their players are awful.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ignoring offensive production, nurse is clearly the better player. I don't see this one as being close.

Absolutely both are better than our LD but I don't see these two players as being close at all.

It’s closer than I thought it would be tbh.

I wonder how many posters have actually watched Nurse since the “he’s got low hockey IQ” takes were all the rage. Up until last year I might have agreed with them, but he took a huge leap forward.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
lmao how is nurse better than mete and kulak

oh wait forgot this site is under some impression that the habs LD suck

:puppy: A guy who was passed on waivers just a year ago who hasn’t even exactly established himself as a full-time top-6 guy

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Odd poll with an obvious answer. What’s the ulterior motive here? Make you feel all warm and fuzzy?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Odd poll with an obvious answer. What’s the ulterior motive here? Make you feel all warm and fuzzy?

there was significant debate in a recent trade thread involving the two fanbases. It’s not an odd poll when you consider when one of the defencemen was held up as a comparable for the other. I didn’t think the two were overly comparable. Glad you agree.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
there was significant debate in a recent trade thread involving the two fanbases. It’s not an odd poll when you consider when one of the defencemen was held up as a comparable for the other. I didn’t think the two were overly comparable. Glad you agree.

There was exactly one NJD poster arguing that Butcher is better in that thread, so this was not a significant debate involving "two fanbases".

Regardless, he actually brought up some good points.

Interestingly enough, in The Athletic's team previews they also have Butcher rated higher than Nurse in GSVA for the upcoming season, with Butcher at 1.1 versus Nurse at 0.7.

From the articles...

The Athletic said:
Butcher is the team’s most valued member on the left side and this season should test his mettle in the top four, a role he isn’t extremely familiar with yet. He’s been the team’s strongest play-driver on the back end for two straight seasons now on the strength of being the team’s most efficient breakout machine, but that’s a bit less impressive given his role. It’s time for him to prove he deserves more responsibility.

Nurse appeared to have a bit of a breakout season after scoring 41 points in 82 games, but his defensive decline is tough to ignore. He had the team’s second-worst expected goals against rate among defenceman ahead of only Caleb Jones and still has a bit to prove before he can be considered a legitimate top pairing defender. Where he may provide some tangible value is on the power play. Last season he was the better option with the Oilers scoring two more goals in 10 fewer minutes with him on the ice than they did with Klefbom.

They're the same age, but one guy was drafted #7 overall and came into the league 3 seasons later whereas the other guy was a 5th round pick that went on to play a full 4 years at college before finally making it to the NHL. Nurse also logs significantly more ice time than Butcher. So, of course this was going to skew heavily towards him. Maybe he is the better player, maybe not - but I don't think it's as crystal clear as you're making it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->