Numerous NHL superstars to be paid their regular salaries during the lockout

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Accord, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Accord

Accord Registered User

There's a lot more to the article but I don't think i'm allowed to quote all of it so click here to read the rest: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1890452

:)

Edit: You posted entirely too much already, actually. No more than two paragraphs, please. - Sotnos

Last edited by moderator Sotnos: Sep 29, 2004
  2. Street Hawk

Street Hawk Registered User

Home Page:
    hmmm....

So, what is the official deal if the entire season is cancelled in regards to player's contracts? If a guy, who going into this lockout had 2 years left on his deal, would that mean that he would only have 1 year left or 2 years left if the season is cancelled?

Cause, if guys are getting paid a salary if they were hurt from last season, and the season is cancelled, wouldn't that mean that 1 year of their contract is taken off?

3. sunb

sunb Registered User

If they are injured then they are paid their salaries by insurance companies and not by the teams.

4. Benji Frank

Benji Frank Registered User

Home Page:
    I'm pretty sure everyone loses a season regardless of health status.... ie -> if they're in their option year now, they're contract is up next summer whether there's a season or not....

5. hockeytown9321

hockeytown9321 Registered User

Not necessisarily. There is no rule that syas contracts must be insured. Teams decide on a case by case basis whether to insure contracts or not. Insurance is extremly expensive, so its usually worth the risk to not insure the lesser contracts.

6. djhn579

djhn579 Registered User

I remember reading something about the Sabres not too long ago that mentioned only the top 5 or so contracts were insured. The rest would have to be picked up by the team if anything happened.

7. Accord

Accord Registered User

How much would it cost to insure a huge contract? I mean when you're paying a guy 8 million, it makes sense to get insurance, you never know what could happen.

8. hockeytown9321

hockeytown9321 Registered User

I don't know, buts its expensie. It gets more expnesive of the player has had a history of injuries or is older. It makes sense to get it for the guys making $8 million, but lower end guys are worth the risk not to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.