Number of Trades Allowed in ATD 2021?

Number of Trades Allowed in ATD 2021?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
You guys need to realize that 5 trades is not as much as you think it is. If you just want to jump over 2-3 picks to get your guy, this is a minor trade that exist as an option, and it can happen many times, but you just burn a trade with this.

I say 7 is a good number, because then you can make a couple of major trades and a few minor ones.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Eh, we can agree to disagree. I think 5 is a good number, and plenty. I know I won’t need to make more than 5 trades, anyways.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Whatever, I'm fine with 5 too, but I don't see the point. No one is gonna "break the draft" cumulatively, it has never been done. What has been done is a few major trades were hotly contested, but a cap on trades doesn't fix that.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Whatever, I'm fine with 5 too, but I don't see the point. No one is gonna "break the draft" cumulatively, it has never been done. What has been done is a few major trades were hotly contested, but a cap on trades doesn't fix that.

I wouldn’t complain if it ended up being unlimited, I just think capping it at 5 makes sense.

I liked (I believe it was Van’s) idea of a possible trade veto if 3 GM’s contest the deal. Although I thought that was always the rule in years where trades are permitted?

Reactions: Dirt 101

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I wouldn’t complain if it ended up being unlimited, I just think capping it at 5 makes sense.

I liked (I believe it was Van’s) idea of a possible trade veto if 3 GM’s contest the deal. Although I thought that was always the rule in years where trades are permitted?

I think if you contest a trade you should explain why, and the whole thing should be discussed, to avoid vendettas. Not simply vote against "just because". Back in the days there was a trade committee, which everybody except rookies could sign up for.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I think if you contest a trade you should explain why, and the whole thing should be discussed. Need to avoid vendettas. Not simply vote against "just because". Back in the days there was a trade committee, which everybody except rookies could sign up for.

Yeah that’s a good point. If someone is going to contest a trade they should state their case as to why it shouldn’t go through. It at least needs to be more than just “nope not good, don’t like it”.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
When Dreakmur votes for 7 trades, you know I'm right.

I change my vote for 7, to avoid dispersion.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
7 was the magic number that worked the last few times we had trades.

The only reason to limit the number of trades is to stop abuse.

Like the guy in the one draft who made 3 consecutive and time-consuming blockbusters with 3 different GMs to move up 3 spots...

Most GMs don't just trade for the sake of trading.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Eh, we can agree to disagree. I think 5 is a good number, and plenty. I know I won’t need to make more than 5 trades, anyways.

Have you participated in a trading draft before? Trades go by pretty fast. I think several GMs are going to find themselves capped at 5 trades, whereas a 7 trade limit will affect very few. And IMO that's a good thing.

I mean, limiting it to 5 trades won't kill anyone, but it starts to approach the realm of saving trades as a strategic mechanism. Which is maybe what some people want?

3 trade limit would be awful - at that point, I'd rather just have banned trades.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Like the guy in the one draft who made 3 consecutive and time-consuming blockbusters with 3 different GMs to move up 3 spots...

The only GM that does that is @ResilientBeast :lol:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Have you participated in a trading draft before? Trades go by pretty fast. I think several GMs are going to find themselves capped at 5 trades, whereas a 7 trade limit will affect very few. And IMO that's a good thing.

I mean, limiting it to 5 trades won't kill anyone, but it starts to approach the realm of saving trades as a strategic mechanism. Which is maybe what some people want?

3 trade limit would be awful - at that point, I'd rather just have banned trades.

100% agreed.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The only GM that does that is @ResilientBeast :lol:

:laugh:

I'm actually thinking of 2 particular GMs who made a ridiculous number of ultimately pointless blockbuster trades that held up the draft repeatedly and annoyed everyone. It was something like they made 15ish trades each, while nobody else broke 7 (and most didn't even approach 7).

Those 2 guys don't play ATD anymore.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
5 is enough.

The point of trading isn't to have fun wheeling and dealing but of helping get your team get out of a bind: "Oh, the guy perfect for my line won't available at my next pick" or "Nobody worth picking now fits my lineup, so trading down makes sense."

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
5 is enough.

The point of trading isn't to have fun wheeling and dealing but of helping get your team get out of a bind: "Oh, the guy perfect for my line won't available at my next pick" or "Nobody worth picking now fits my lineup, so trading down makes sense."

We reintroduced trading to mix it up, so there's an added element of fun. Not as a get-out-of-jail card.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
It's 5-3 right now, as I changed my vote from unlimited to 7. Can a Mod fix this, please?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Something those voting for 3 or 5 trades may not be considering...

Perhaps you’re thinking you won’t need more than 3/5 trades to get the key players your team needs, but you also need to consider those times when you’re indifferent about your upcoming pick and another GM really needs it. For example, if the trade number is too limited then you may not be willing to make a simple trade that allows another GM to move up 3 spots to get his guy because that would be wasting one of your valuable trades. Of course, the very same thing may happen to you later, and you will miss your guy.

In other words, don’t forget there needs to be 2 sides to every trade.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

The first one I participated in was under a full trade format.

I still think 5 is enough personally, but whatever the poll ends up at is the one we will go with. I guess I don’t care a whole lot either way. I won’t cry if it’s 7.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I picked 5 as it seems like a nice middle ground.

There should be some element of strategy involved in making deals. Being judicious in when/how you trade is the biggest factor. 5 allows you to make 2-3 moves in the early portions and still retain an ability to move in the middle rounds.

Most people won't even make 5 trades if that were the number picked. I think expanding the # beyond that gives those who have gone through trading drafts and figured out the lay of the land, an inherent advantage in posturing during the draft. And I say that as someone who is in that group IMO.

I don't think trading will slow the draft down tremendously, but I do think there should be a solid balance as a lot of people simply won't get involved in trading much/if at all.

Just my .02 but I'm game for whatever wins the vote.

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad