Confirmed with Link: Nuke scored a MotherF****ing goal!!!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I love how much chaos he creates along with the rest of that checking line. They are responsible defensively, but when they get into the offensive zone they just hem people in with constant pressure.

Chaos is a good way to put it. He looks like a wrecking ball swinging through a construction site when he flies around the zone and to the net like he does. With or without the puck. He just drives through all the contact like it's nothing.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
upload_2019-12-24_0-42-25.gif

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think it was TMV who mentioned that Nuke has pretty much been precisely the player they were looking for and never really got when they acquired Colin Wilson.

Personally if they want to try him a little higher in the lineup, that's fine. In fact I'm pretty sure he has spent an odd shift here and there with MacKinnon or Kadri in the past few games that wasn't just the result of an on-the-fly change. But I think he's at his best on the 3rd line where he provides solid defense and an extra scoring weapon in the event the top line or Kadri aren't delivering.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think it was TMV who mentioned that Nuke has pretty much been precisely the player they were looking for and never really got when they acquired Colin Wilson.

Personally if they want to try him a little higher in the lineup, that's fine. In fact I'm pretty sure he has spent an odd shift here and there with MacKinnon or Kadri in the past few games that wasn't just the result of an on-the-fly change. But I think he's at his best on the 3rd line where he provides solid defense and an extra scoring weapon in the event the top line or Kadri aren't delivering.

I want to say they put him out with Mack & Mikko after Landeskog's fight. So I think Bednar isn't against playing him a bit higher.

I get why hes stayed on that line, but there are times I think Kadri could use not only the defensive help, but someone who can create something as well. Nuke could have even more points if Calvert or PEB could finish more consistently.

Reactions: Pokecheque

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Since his 1st goal. 7G 4A 15gms +10 37 shots

Joe, have you found a free top-6 winger?
He could easily have 3-5 more goals as well. He’s producing, but he’s still snake bit.

I’d like to see him have some shifts with Mack/Rants. Nuke/Rants down low is a lot to deal with.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Any idea what went wrong with him in Dallas? They were very high on him after this first season.

Injuries, teams making adjustments, Lindy Ruff souring on him, you name it.

And it seems clear now that his very promising rookie season was more of an indicator of his offensive ceiling than it was a portent of things to come. The Stars went all-in on him being a, well, star, and he's really just a very good complementary depth player.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Any idea what went wrong with him in Dallas? They were very high on him after this first season.

Imo, it's conflict of identity as a hockey player.

He was an east-west player as a prospect. This was very impressive to scouts, east-west player with impressive physical attributes.

The problem with being an east-west player is that everything (skating, vision, hockey IQ, shot, etc) needs to be on elite level. And this isn't even limited to NHL, it's not like Nichushkin dominated KHL.

I think he realized this and made a change in his game. The transition hasn't been a very smooth one, but it seems to be a successful one (more time is probably needed to truly have a verdict).

I believe that you are seeing a player who has finally made a full transition and has finally become comfortable with his new style.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Imo, it's conflict of identity as a hockey player.

He was an east-west player as a prospect. This was very impressive to scouts, east-west player with impressive physical attributes.

The problem with being an east-west player is that everything (skating, vision, hockey IQ, shot, etc) needs to be on elite level. And this isn't even limited to NHL, it's not like Nichushkin dominated KHL.

I think he realized this and made a change in his game. The transition hasn't been a very smooth one, but it seems to be a successful one (more time is probably needed to truly have a verdict).

I believe that you are seeing a player who has finally made a full transition and has finally become comfortable with his new style.

Wow that's interesting because I commented a few weeks ago about how he's about the most north-south player I've ever seen. I should probably dig up some old footage of him his rookie season in Dallas.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think you might've made a mistake here, before he was drafted and even after he is an extremely north to south player that had a bad degree of blinder mode. Now I don't think his offensive skill-set is entirely useless, he's a solid playmaker, but his vision won't ever come to the overall he was picked at. He's limited at the amount of playmaking he can conduct compared to someone like Backstrom.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think you might've made a mistake here, before he was drafted and even after he is an extremely north to south player that had a bad degree of blinder mode. Now I don't think his offensive skill-set is entirely useless, he's a solid playmaker, but his vision won't ever come to the overall he was picked at. He's limited at the amount of playmaking he can conduct compared to someone like Backstrom.

Glad I'm not the only one who remembered it that way lol. My memory of watching Nuke in his draft year is that he was a lot of fun to watch because no matter where he got the puck, he would charge straight towards the goal 99% of the time, regardless of the specifics. But because he was such a physical monster & had decent hands, he could simply blow through/past everyone that got caught in his way until he was promoted to the KHL.

In hindsight, the flaws should've been clear, but I didn't prioritize skill or creativity nearly as much back then.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Glad I'm not the only one who remembered it that way lol. My memory of watching Nuke in his draft year is that he was a lot of fun to watch because no matter where he got the puck, he would charge straight towards the goal 99% of the time, regardless of the specifics. But because he was such a physical monster & had decent hands, he could simply blow through/past everyone that got caught in his way until he was promoted to the KHL.

In hindsight, the flaws should've been clear, but I didn't prioritize skill or creativity nearly as much back then.
Lol, spot on cgf!!! That's pretty much how he played; get the puck and take it to the net that even Don Cherry would be proud. I didn't really mind him because he carried a certain amount of risk and that risk was certainly noticeable. I respect the Stars FO for having the balls to draft him that high, but in the end it was a bad pick even though he's finally found himself as an NHL player. However, I don't think he would be as effective if he wasn't in Bednar's heavy north to south system with strong forecheque characteristics, which fits Nuke perfectly like a glove. I just don't like seeing some Star fans hoping he fails because he wasn't good in Dallas, he's as good of a lad you want to cheer for.

Reactions: cgf and CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What really happened in Dallas is that Nuke got in a contract dispute, ended up in the KHL, demanded a good contract, and significantly underperformed. Due to his age, Dallas could get out of the deal for 900k. With their cap situation and love of UFAs, they needed every penny of the 2.5m savings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad