NTDP 2018 - 2019 Season Thread

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thomas Bordeleau, Ty Smilanic, and Luke Tuch have stood out lately up front, and Tyler Kleven continues to impress on the blue line. Commesso has been solid in goal, as well. The difference between beating Tri-City 5-4 one night and losing 8-2 the next was the absence of Commesso.

This has been very close to my conclusion in the games I've watched.

What do you think of Sanderson, Powell and Faber? I think those three are decent prospects who could be early round picks.

Some also think Peterson will be a high pick, but I haven't been that impressed by his game. He's big and can skate though, so there's potential there.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
This has been very close to my conclusion in the games I've watched.

What do you think of Sanderson, Powell and Faber? I think those three are decent prospects who could be early round picks.

Some also think Peterson will be a high pick, but I haven't been that impressed by his game. He's big and can skate though, so there's potential there.

So far, none of those three have really stood out enough for me to notice them much as yet. I have notices Peterson a little more, but that's really due to his size and not anything he's done on the ice. Watching a new U17 team is much different than following an OHL team, and it was a struggle for me when the NTDP first moved to Plymouth replacing the Whalers, since it usually takes time to figure out which players are going to emerge as top prospects (last year being the exception). So, now I just let the action unfold in front of me for the first half of the season and see which players catch my attention. I will try to focus a little more on those three as the season unfolds.

I do really like what I have seen from Commesso in goal all season. He's very composed, maintains his position, and handles the puck well. I think he's a future tender for Team USA in the U20 World Juniors. I'm not sure what's happened to his backup Noah Grannan, but the latter hasn't been dressed for any game since the holidays.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
So far, none of those three have really stood out enough for me to notice them much as yet. I have notices Peterson a little more, but that's really due to his size and not anything he's done on the ice. Watching a new U17 team is much different than following an OHL team, and it was a struggle for me when the NTDP first moved to Plymouth replacing the Whalers, since it usually takes time to figure out which players are going to emerge as top prospects (last year being the exception). So, now I just let the action unfold in front of me for the first half of the season and see which players catch my attention. I will try to focus a little more on those three as the season unfolds.

I do really like what I have seen from Commesso in goal all season. He's very composed, maintains his position, and handles the puck well. I think he's a future tender for Team USA in the U20 World Juniors. I'm not sure what's happened to his backup Noah Grannan, but the latter hasn't been dressed for any game since the holidays.

Its scary how much I agree with your takes Whaler Fan. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Puckhead44

May 16, 2018
Anyone know if Hughes will play this Friday? Does he play in all U18 games on schedule?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Anyone know if Hughes will play this Friday? Does he play in all U18 games on schedule?

He should be in the lineup, barring any unforeseen illness or injury. He has played in every U18 game, except when he was away at the WJC. If he's not, a friend of mine will not be happy, since he and his wife are coming to the game with us and he wants to see Hughes play. :laugh:

Puckhead44

May 16, 2018
He should be in the lineup, barring any unforeseen illness or injury. He has played in every U18 game, except when he was away at the WJC. If he's not, a friend of mine will not be happy, since he and his wife are coming to the game with us and he wants to see Hughes play. :laugh:
Ok thanks for the information. I work next to the arena and I'm going to Cjs tomorrow and wanted to finally see Hughes play live.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Ok thanks for the information. I work next to the arena and I'm going to Cjs tomorrow and wanted to finally see Hughes play live.
We will be at CJ’s for dinner before the game, too.

Since you work so close, you should come more often. It’s very good, and very inexpensive, hockey.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I hope you were not too disappointed in Hughes being scratched last night, @Puckhead44 . You wouldn't have been the only one, though. We walked into the arena just as the PA announcer was announcing Hughes being scratched. I told my buddy "well, at least you can still see the #1 rated North American goalie", and then Rowe was announced as the starter instead of Spencer Knight. :laugh:

I'm not sure why Hughes was scratched. It's the first time since he's been in the program that's happened (at least at home) -- except, of course, when he was away at the WJC around the holidays.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
We had an Igor Larionov sighting at last night's game. His son, Igor Jr., plays for Muskegon -- and he scored a goal. Dad was sitting in our row, but just over in the next section.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
@Whalers Fan (or anyone else): My wife & I are driving up to Cedar Rapids in mid-March to watch the RoughRiders host the U17 squad for a pair. It will be my first time watching an NTDP team play in person. Any current nameplates you'd suggest I keep a close eye out for? I'm prone to focus on goaltenders & D-men.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
@Whalers Fan (or anyone else): My wife & I are driving up to Cedar Rapids in mid-March to watch the RoughRiders host the U17 squad for a pair. It will be my first time watching an NTDP team play in person. Any current nameplates you'd suggest I keep a close eye out for? I'm prone to focus on goaltenders & D-men.
The U17's top players have been Ty Smilanic, Thomas Bordeleau and defenseman Tyler Kleven. Drew Commesso has been solid in goal for the team. Smilanic is the team's top scorer, and Bordeleau can provide some excitement with his skating and puck handling skills. Kleven has a big, heavy shot when he has the opening to unleash it. Commesso plays the goaltender position well, as he is quite good positionally, with good rebound control and puck handling -- plus he seems to stay composed even when the play gets hectic.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Thanks for the tips. I'll post here my St. Patrick's Day weekend impressions, and I'll have some arena & game play pix uploaded to my public Flickr page shortly thereafter. All amateur works, just a record of our hockey travels.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
It was an historic night for the U18 team at home. Cole Caufield, with a six goal night, broke Phil Kessel's program record for most goals. Meanwhile, Jack Hughes, with four assists, set the record for most points in program history.

There was a new player suited up for the team, as well. Matthew Berniers, a late '02 birthday, was in the lineup for the first time that I had seen, wearing #45. According to the game sheet, he had played in 5 previous games for the NTDP, but it's been a few weeks since the team has played here in Plymouth. He could really skate and handle the puck -- he even got in on the scoring in the 12-4 lopsided win over Green Bay. I'm not sure of Berniers situation, but it would be nice to see him with next season's U18 team. I think he could really help that team.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Too bad Caulfield didn't sneak onto the U17 roster Friday night. Cedar Rapids won 6-0, and the final score could've easily been double that had Noah Grannan not shaken off the jitters by the time the 2nd period got rolling & kept his overmatched teammates in the contest (to a small degree). From the opening puck drop to the final horn, the RoughRiders were on the bodies & in the faces of the USA kids in all 3 zones. Intimidation seemed to be the home team's game plan, and it worked to perfection. USA rarely had an open lane & when they did it wasn't for long enough to get a credible chance before they were punished. Final shot total for the visitors was 9, and they only registered 1 shot in the third period which came with 58 seconds left. That was the most lopsided hockey game I can remember attending in several years at many levels of the game. I sure hope the U17 boys can find a strategy to actually compete Saturday night - short of Cole Caulfield coming to Iowa by express bus.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Too bad Caulfield didn't sneak onto the U17 roster Friday night. Cedar Rapids won 6-0, and the final score could've easily been double that had Noah Grannan not shaken off the jitters by the time the 2nd period got rolling & kept his overmatched teammates in the contest (to a small degree). From the opening puck drop to the final horn, the RoughRiders were on the bodies & in the faces of the USA kids in all 3 zones. Intimidation seemed to be the home team's game plan, and it worked to perfection. USA rarely had an open lane & when they did it wasn't for long enough to get a credible chance before they were punished. Final shot total for the visitors was 9, and they only registered 1 shot in the third period which came with 58 seconds left. That was the most lopsided hockey game I can remember attending in several years at many levels of the game. I sure hope the U17 boys can find a strategy to actually compete Saturday night - short of Cole Caulfield coming to Iowa by express bus.

It was a much tighter game tonight, though the Rough Riders put up many more shots than Team USA. It was tied 1-1 at the end of regulation, and Cedar Rapids won in a shootout. Awesome game.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It was a much tighter game tonight, though the Rough Riders put up many more shots than Team USA. It was tied 1-1 at the end of regulation, and Cedar Rapids won in a shootout. Awesome game.
Agreed. Very impressed how USA-U17 came out early on Saturday night with a plan to take the physical play to CR. The youngsters clearly dominated Period 1, and played even with the RoughRiders in Period 2 as each team kept the other's offensive chances to a minimum by keeping puck movement on the perimeters. Period 3 swung to the home team, but USA stuck with it & carried a PP into the 4v4 OT session. By then they were obviously spent from 2 nights of physical hockey, and even a second man advantage gift to end extra time didn't give them enough life to put the game away. After that it was just a matter of which side would win the skills competition, and CR scored 2 to USA's 1 to treat the home crowd to a 4-point weekend.

Two U17 players stood out to me in this defensive contest. Tyler Kleven on D showed good speed & puck control, and used his size well in slowing speedy CR forwards as they crossed the USA blue line. Seems he got his reward from the coach with a first-up slot in the shootout. Second player was G Drew Commesso, a very confident netminder with good positioning & rebound control who plays "large" in the goal mouth (especially down low).

An entertaining weekend of hockey in Cedar Rapids, and the U17 squad came away with a point. I guess they left the scoring touch for the U18 team to play with instead.

Reactions: Patric Hornqvist

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Two U17 players stood out to me in this defensive contest. Tyler Kleven on D showed good speed & puck control, and used his size well in slowing speedy CR forwards as they crossed the USA blue line. Seems he got his reward from the coach with a first-up slot in the shootout. Second player was G Drew Commesso, a very confident netminder with good positioning & rebound control who plays "large" in the goal mouth (especially down low).

Kleven and Commesso have both impressed me all season. He doesn't unleash it often, but Kleven has a pretty good slap shot to go along with the traits you listed.

We missed last night's U18 game (were at a St. Paddy's Day party), but I see that newcomer Matthew Berniers recorded a hat trick in the route over Green Bay. That gives him 4 goals and 11 assists in just 7 games for the U18 team. I would really like to know more about this kid. He impressed me with his skating and puck handling on Friday night, which is the first time I've seen him. Not sure why he joined the U18 team instead of the U17's, and why so late in the season. I didn't see Dany Weight out there Friday, so that may have something to do with it. He's a late '02 birthday, so could be with the U18 squad again next season.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Uploaded photos from my visit to Cedar Rapids this past weekend (Team USA U17 vs. Cedar Rapids RoughRiders) to my public Flickr page. Nothing anywhere near award-winning quality, but they might offer some fans a bit of familiarity with the Cedar Rapids Ice Arena in case they want to visit someday. It was a good venue for watching hockey, and the fans were enthusiastic.

Reactions: mk80

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
It was an historic night for the U18 team at home. Cole Caufield, with a six goal night, broke Phil Kessel's program record for most goals. Meanwhile, Jack Hughes, with four assists, set the record for most points in program history.

There was a new player suited up for the team, as well. Matthew Berniers, a late '02 birthday, was in the lineup for the first time that I had seen, wearing #45. According to the game sheet, he had played in 5 previous games for the NTDP, but it's been a few weeks since the team has played here in Plymouth. He could really skate and handle the puck -- he even got in on the scoring in the 12-4 lopsided win over Green Bay. I'm not sure of Berniers situation, but it would be nice to see him with next season's U18 team. I think he could really help that team.

Beniers is on the U17 NTDP team and was called up to U18s probably to get a look at him in case they want to add him to the U18 worlds roster. In my viewings - Beniers plays an honest 2 way, 200 foot game and he can be plugged in on center or wing and also be used on PP/PK. Very versatile and probably why the U18s want to take a look at him as he could fill in anywhere if there was any injuries. He was used all over in the U17s games. The U17 NTDP teams really need some help up front or some kids to really develop over the next season. Their strength is the back end and they have trouble scoring. The U18s on the other hand are so strong up front its comical.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Beniers is on the U17 NTDP team and was called up to U18s probably to get a look at him in case they want to add him to the U18 worlds roster. In my viewings - Beniers plays an honest 2 way, 200 foot game and he can be plugged in on center or wing and also be used on PP/PK. Very versatile and probably why the U18s want to take a look at him as he could fill in anywhere if there was any injuries. He was used all over in the U17s games. The U17 NTDP teams really need some help up front or some kids to really develop over the next season. Their strength is the back end and they have trouble scoring. The U18s on the other hand are so strong up front its comical.
Damn, you're right -- I'm embarrassed that I don't remember him playing on the U17 team. It's been since sometime in January since I've seen a U17 game here in Plymouth, and I don't remember him sticking out like he has with the U18 team -- looking at the NTDP website, he only has 10 goals and 13 assists in 42 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->