NTDP 2018 - 2019 Season Thread

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
USA U18's beat Muskegon 6-3. Listened to the audio stream on YouTube and York had a few assists and goals by different players. Caufield, Boldy, McCarthy had a snipe, Turcotte, Weight, and didn't catch the last goal because the feed broke down. Hughes had an assist from what I heard. Box score will be available later tonight I'm sure.
Sounded like Daniil Guschin had a decent game for Muskegon. Was around the puck a lot and I think he scored. Alex Gaffney the kid they tendered from the 02 birth year scored a wrister.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The USA Hockey All American Prospects game goes tonight in Minnesota. A number of NTDP players will be there including Jack Hughes, Spencer Knight, Cameron Rowe, Drew Helleson, Case McCarthy, Cam York, Marshall Warren, Henry Thrun, Alex Vlasic, John Beecher, Matt Boldy, Cole Canfield, Judd Caulfield, Michael Gildon, Owen Lindmark, Alex Turcotte, Danny Weight, and Trevor Zegras.

Game will be streamed on HockeyTV. Should be on the NHL Network but that’s the only place to watch tonight.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
USA U18's beat Muskegon 6-3. Listened to the audio stream on YouTube and York had a few assists and goals by different players. Caufield, Boldy, McCarthy had a snipe, Turcotte, Weight, and didn't catch the last goal because the feed broke down. Hughes had an assist from what I heard. Box score will be available later tonight I'm sure.
Sounded like Daniil Guschin had a decent game for Muskegon. Was around the puck a lot and I think he scored. Alex Gaffney the kid they tendered from the 02 birth year scored a wrister.
I am very interested to see what Danny Weight does this year, such a crowded group on this team, I wonder if he gets any attention or chance to stand out. He can be a sleeper like Gersich was years back.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I am very interested to see what Danny Weight does this year, such a crowded group on this team, I wonder if he gets any attention or chance to stand out. He can be a sleeper like Gersich was years back.

That’s an interesting comparison to Gersich. I’ll try and watch more of him this year. I’m interested in how Case McCarthy steps up this year. Saw him play Midget Minor in person a few times with the Jr. Sabres. And last year of course

Reactions: AmericanDream

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Late but was busy this week and just got to watch the AAPG. Some standouts from the U-18’s. Some reactions in no particular order.
Spencer knight was good between the pipes, such quick reactions. Cameron Rowe was good too.
John Beecher- showed off his speed a lot, protected the puck well too.
Marshall Warren - really fast on the back check. Had a really nice poke check in front of the net. Good breakout passes too.
Alex Turcotte - really good pass to Kaliyev on goal. Quick and deceptive.
Cole Caufield- quick snipe on 1st goal. Put it up quick on his 2nd off a great feed from Hughes. He’s just a goal scorer.
Jack Hughes - showed his speed going down the side from his own blue line all the way into the zone and cut across to get a shot on net. Really deceptive as you don’t know what he’s going next. Showed that on a quick pass on 2v1 to feed Caufield.
Matt Boldy - played really well on the D side of the puck. Had a few takeaways and played smart. Ripped a shot bar down to tie the game late. Then had a great give and go with Zegras to win it under a minute left.
Trevor Zegras - he’s got speed and hands that he’s shown since his Avon Old Farms days. Had a mini breakaway because of it in the 1st and scored the go ahead goal late.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dux917

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Picked up our tickets today. The home season kicks off this weekend with the U17 team playing Friday and Saturday evenings. I'm looking forward to seeing some hockey -- even though it means winter is just around the corner.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The U17 team got their USHL season off to a fine start last night with a 4-2 win over Madison. Offensively, the team looked good, dominating the play most of the game. Defensively, they had a penchant for turning the puck over in front of their own net -- doing that several times, but Madison couldn't take advantage. Team USA did get a break on the final empty net goal, as the play really should have been stopped due to icing, but for some reason the linesman waved it off despite the Capitols player beating the U17 player down ice. While Landon Slaggert lead the scoring with 3 points, the player I noticed was 6'4" Dylan Peterson. For a kid his size, he skated and handled the puck impressively -- although he didn't end up with any notable scoring chances. Noah Grannon looked good in net, but he didn't get tested a lot by what looked like a weak Madison team.

The same two teams play again tonight in Plymouth. Next Saturday we get our first look at the potent U18 squad in an afternoon game against the University of Minnesota.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Saturday evening's rematch between the U17's and Madison was entertaining. Team USA played a more solid game defensively, with just a single 2-0 breakaway surrendered (reminiscent of last year's U18 team), but otherwise the defense played well. The difference from Friday night was that Madison played a much better game, as this one ended up being pretty evenly matched. I guess the Capitols woke up a little and didn't take the team of 16 year olds lightly.

Drew Commesso played a solid game in net for the NTDP, stopping 42 of 43 shots, plus 2 of 3 in the shootout. Team USA had lots of scoring chances, but just couldn't put the puck in the net. Still, it was a good first weekend effort for the U17's.

I see the U18's lost at Ferris State last night 3-1, but outshot their opponents 45-27. It will be interesting to see how they fare over the next week, with games at Notre Dame and Michigan, followed by a home game against Minnesota. Those are some NCAA heavyweights in a short period of time. They play in Ann Arbor Friday night, then have a Saturday afternoon game versus Minnesota.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am coming away more and more impressed with Boldy. He has really been creating his own offense with Turcotte out and not lining up with Hughes much either. This is a name that might start showing up in top 10's real real soon.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
It was a fun weekend watching the U18 team vs. some top NCAA programs. We scored free tickets to Friday night's game at Yost Arena vs. Michigan, and then were back at USA Hockey Arena on Saturday afternoon for the game against Minnesota. Friday's night's game was a lot of fun. We sat behind the net near the band and student section, which provided lots of entertainment. The students had a sign reading "We Want Jack!" and chanted the phrase a few times before and during the game. :laugh: For the opening face off, U of M sent out defenseman Quinn Hughes to take the draw against his brother Jack, which was pretty cool for the two of them. The NTDP played a strong game, while Michigan suffered from some poor goaltending in Team USA's 6-3 win.

Saturday's game was closer than the 7-1 score would make you think. The game was scoreless until almost the halfway point of the 2nd period, and the NTDP only trailed 2-1 halfway through the 3rd period. Team USA had lots of scoring chances, but Minnesota's goalie played a great game. The roof caved in on Team USA in the final few minutes, especially after they had a goal disallowed while on a 6-3 power play. The Gophers then scored in the empty net to go up 5-1, and they also scored two more goals in the last couple of minutes when the U18's appeared to throw in the towel. Cameron Rowe looked good in the net the first half of the game, but he got beat on the glove side a few times in the third period.

Jack Hughes looked good in both games. He had a goal and two primary assists against Michigan, and assisted on the team's only goal versus Minnesota. He really drove the play on Saturday, and held his ground several times when the Gophers tried to muscle him off the puck (so much for all those comments about his size and strength). He also made an excellent defensive play on a back check, breaking up what would have been a 2-1 Minnesota break when one of the USA defensemen was caught up ice.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
TY Whalers Fan for the in person report. I take it you were once a Plmouth Whalers season ticket holder? Can you please explain the difference between the USHL/NCAA style of hockey to that of the OHL and what style do you prefer more?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
TY Whalers Fan for the in person report. I take it you were once a Plmouth Whalers season ticket holder? Can you please explain the difference between the USHL/NCAA style of hockey to that of the OHL and what style do you prefer more?
Yes, I was a long time Plymouth Whalers season ticket holder. We were sad to see the Whalers leave, but are grateful that the arena was sold to USA Hockey instead of being bulldozed for a commercial development.

The OHL was quite a bit different of an experience than the US NTDP. With the OHL, we would see future star players coming to town from the opposing team -- players like McDavid, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, Patrick Kane, etc. We do not see that caliber of player on the USHL opponents. There was a full four round seven game series playoff schedule, too, and playoff hockey is so much fun to watch. We don't really get that with the NTDP. They did make the playoffs last season, but that's not very common and there is almost no chance we will see them win a USHL title -- last season was the first time the program won a single USHL playoff game. With the Whalers, they qualified for the post season every year except that horrible final lame duck season. If you are a fan of hockey fights, those occur in the OHL but not with the NTDP -- the program does not allow their players to fight, even though the USHL does allow it. The NTDP's primary purpose is to prepare players for international competition, where fighting is not allowed.

From the home team perspective, we got to see some great players with the Whalers (Tyler Seguin, James Neal, Rickard Rakell, Vince Trocheck, Tom Wilson, etc.), but we also get that with the NTDP (Jack Hughes, Clayton Keller, etc.). We get a variety of different types of competition -- USHL, NCAA and the arena usually hosts an international tournament each season. That can be both good and bad -- it's sometimes hard to remember the variances in the rules between the three, as the NTDP plays by the rules of their opponent's affiliation. Things such as overtime rules, delay of game, etc. change depending on the opponent.

One of things I miss the most is the crowds. The Whalers drew much better than the NTDP, with average attendance of around 3,000. With the NTDP, crowds are in the 700 - 1,500 range, except for a few special occasions -- we had about 3,800 for the game versus the University of Michigan last season, 3,400 for the Michigan State game, and international games against Russia have drawn 2,000+. We would get a lot of opposing fans for Whalers games, especially from Windsor, Saginaw, London, Kitchener and Sault Ste Marie (for some reason the Sarnia fans didn't seem to travel as much). About the only opposing team fans we get now are family/friends of players -- I did have Teemu Selanne sitting next to me last year watching his son.

We still enjoy going to the games, though, and the quality of hockey is very good. The program treats us well, too.

Last edited:

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Disappointing losses at the World U17 Hockey Challenge but we took way to many penalties in that final game vs Canada Red. Have to look at the box score as the game just ended but it had to have been at least 6 and one in OT. Full props to Canada as the '02 birth year is strong for both countries especially some of the Ontario kids.

On D for the U.S. I liked Jake Sanderson - His play here has reminded me of Ryan Lindgren in 2014. Sure enough Ryan ended up going on to do great things for USA Hockey in further tournaments. I like the way he can play guys 1v1, and transition well.
Brock Faber - He got in peoples way a lot this game, had a play where he back checked hard and dove to knock the puck off a Canada Red stick.
Connor Kelley played well tonight too.

On forward Dylan Peterson scored from inside the slot off a really good feed from Smilanic behind the net. Bret Berard showed some good hands and was all over the ice tonight and Thomas Bordeleau has such good vision on the pp. Makes nice cross ice passes and disrupts the play with his forecheck. Overall disappointing game though, shot ourselves in the foot with penalties and didn't capitalize on chances. Guhle on Canada D with Villanueve was fun to watch. They had a lot to do with shutting us down and making offensive plays.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Am i the only one who is not impressed with Seth Appert? Lost four games in a row against Canada even though all three teams were far from their best possible. I was also not impressed how the U18 team played last spring. His teams take too much penalties and he does not know how to handle his roster correctly.

Wrobo is fortunately U18 team coach this season.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Am i the only one who is not impressed with Seth Appert? Lost four games in a row against Canada even though all three teams were far from their best possible. I was also not impressed how the U18 team played last spring. His teams take too much penalties and he does not know how to handle his roster correctly.

Wrobo is fortunately U18 team coach this season.
I was very critical of Appert’s coaching last season with the U18 squad. Defensively the team gave up more breakaways and odd man rushes than I’d ever seen by a major junior team. There was a definite difference in coaching from him versus other NTDP coaches.

I have not seen enough of the U17 team yet this season to form an impression on Appert this season, but I wasn’t pleased that he returned to the program.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Interesting game last night between the U18 squad and Bowling Green University. I had never seen a team dress so many players as Bowling Green — they had 26 players in uniform. The players barely squeezed into the bench . :laugh: Also, I am not sure if this is a new NCAA rule, but twice during the game there was a goal on a delayed penalty, and the penalty was still enforced after the goal . This happened once per team.

The U18 team was lethargic for the first half of the game, looking like they were already on the holiday break. They did pick up the intensity late in the 2nd period and carried it through the rest of the game. The slow start probably cost them a win, as they just fell short by a goal. Bowling Green was impressive, and played a physical game.

wisssh

Oct 2, 2005
North America
You are not the only one.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
It was a pretty good weekend of U18 hockey at USA Hockey Arena. Team USA beat The University of Maine 6-4 on Saturday in the annual Teddy Bear Toss night. The crowd wasn't too big, so there were not that many bears -- especially compared with last year's game versus the University of Michigan with 3,800 in attendance. The team played well from start to finish, and Jack Hughes got his scoring back on track with a goal and two assists.

Friday's loss to Youngstown was a little bizarre. The U18's fought back from a 3-0 deficit to take a 4-3 lead late in the 3rd period. Youngstown pulled their goalie, and it appeared Team USA scored an empty net goal -- at least it looked like it went in and bounced back out quickly to everyone I spoke with at the game. The ref waved it off with no whistle, and play continued with Youngstown then scoring to tie the game. We all were certain there would at least be a review of the empty net shot, but that didn't happen. Very strange. Youngstown scored in OT for a 5-4 win.

Saturday saw the return of an old friend to the arena, as well. Sean Baligian filled in as the public address announcer, and did the best job of any backup PA announcer filling in for the regular announcer Chris that I can remember at the arena -- whether for the NTDP or the Plymouth Whalers. Sean, for those who do not know, has been on local sports talk radio for many years, used to do the color commentary for home Whalers and NTDP games, and he's also a fellow Habs fan. I haven't seen him at the arena at all this year (and maybe last season, either). It was good having him back in the building -- Sean's a very nice guy and quite the hockey nut.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
USA Hockey Arena is hosting the U17 Four Nations Tournament this week -- USA, Russia, Slovakia and Switzerland. It is amazing how much different the U17 team looks when playing opponents their same age instead of against much older USHL players. Today they looked like a completely different team in dominating Slovakia. After watching Russia completely dismantle an over-matched Swiss team in the first game, I expect Team USA to do the same thing tomorrow evening. That should setup two pretty good match-ups between USA and Russia on Friday and Saturday evenings (Saturday's games feature the 1st & 2nd place teams in the late game and the 3rd & 4th place teams in the early match).

Reactions: JMCx4

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Tyler Kleven is really beginning to blossom on defense for the U17's. He's been their best player the first two games of the Four Nations tournament. He's physical, can handle the puck and skate, and has shown a hard and heavy slap shot. Late in last night's game against the Swiss, he let a shot loose from the top of the left faceoff circle directly into the goalie, and you could tell it really rattled the netminder. The uniform number 43 must be a good luck charm for the U17's. The past three seasons it's been worn by Quinn Hughes, Jack Hughes and now Kleven.

Russia has been very impressive in their first two games versus Switzerland and Slovakia. They have several forwards who can really skate and handle the puck. Also, defenseman Shakir Mukhamadullin (#27) has really impressed me. He has size, can skate and also has a hard shot -- he looks a lot like Kleven out there.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The U18's beat Muskegon 5-1 yesterday morning in the 2nd annual game for local students. There looked to be a few less kids than last year, but they still made a lot of noise. :laugh: Fortunately, once again the team set aside one of the boxes for us season ticket holders.

Interestingly, Muskegon is now 20-5-1 in the USHL -- and four of those five losses have been against the NTDP U18 squad!

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The U17 squad seems to have turned a corner since the holiday break. They have won 3 of their last 4 USHL games, after winning only a single USHL game before the holidays. Their only loss was last weekend to first place Tri-City, when they were missing both goaltenders (Drew Commesso was ill, while Noah Grannan has been MIA since the break). They won close back-to-back games this weekend against Central Illinois, and beat first place Tri-City the night before they lost Commesso.

Thomas Bordeleau, Ty Smilanic, and Luke Tuch have stood out lately up front, and Tyler Kleven continues to impress on the blue line. Commesso has been solid in goal, as well. The difference between beating Tri-City 5-4 one night and losing 8-2 the next was the absence of Commesso.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad