NTDP 2018 - 2019 Season Thread

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
USA Hockey announced its home NCAA schedule for the season. USA Hockey Arena will host games between the U18 team and the University of Minnesota (October 13), Bowling Green (November 21), the University of Maine (December 8), Lake Superior State (December 16), Holy Cross (January 1), and Adrian College (January 8).

Maine and Minnesota should be good events. I'm not sure there will be much of a crowd for the Holy Cross and Adrian games, as they are both on Tuesdays -- and the HC game is in the afternoon of New Year's Day. That's a very odd date -- neither the NTDP, nor the Plymouth Whalers before them, ever scheduled a home game in this arena on a holiday.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I see there's a roster thread for this but figured I'll post it here too. Daniyal Dzhaniyev added to the U17 roster. Don't know anything about him except what the article obviously says. Played for the New Jersey Titans which I don't remember a whole lot of players coming out of except programs like the North Jersey Avs, NJ Colonials, Jersey Hitmen...put up some points though and for them to add him he must have some skill. Excited to see what transcribes with him.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Watched the U.S. play against the Swedes today and it was good to see Jack Hughes being Jack Hughes. That goal that he had really showed his shiftiness as he deked out the D man and his hands are so quick. He's never trapped no matter where he is on the ice. I can only guess how many points he'll put up this year but excited to see him against some good college teams this season. I'm going to try and make it over to Pittsburgh for the USHL Fall Classic and see him play two games.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Jack Hughes was good in the last two games as well at the showcase, puck just seems to stay with him. Hastings showed confidence in him playing him a lot late in the game when we were down vs Canada. Kid is a stud

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Also getting really excited as the season is well under a month away. Few early games for the 02’s vs NAHL competition then the fall classic for the U18’s. As the 17’s open up against Madison at home the U18’s play 7 consecutive games vs some high end NCAA competition in October. Headlining that is Minnesota coming to USA Hockey arena, should be a good one.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Little side thought...saw the pictures on social media of the U17’s doing picture day and they were wearing the jerseys Team USA wore at the Olympics last winter. I hope they don’t use those as a jersey throughout the year. They are awful (just my opinion). I love the regular blues and whites with the USA across the chest.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Little side thought...saw the pictures on social media of the U17’s doing picture day and they were wearing the jerseys Team USA wore at the Olympics last winter. I hope they don’t use those as a jersey throughout the year. They are awful (just my opinion). I love the regular blues and whites with the USA across the chest.

They will. They have to wear what Nike tells them to wear. And don't worry, saying those jerseys are awful isn't exactly a novel opinion.

Reactions: NTDP

teemussalami1

Mar 16, 2017
They will. They have to wear what Nike tells them to wear. And don't worry, saying those jerseys are awful isn't exactly a novel opinion.

Highly doubt they use those jerseys. U18's were wearing normal jerseys today.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
We get our first look at the U17's tonight as they take on the Johnstown Tomahawks of the NAHL in an exhibition game. Game will be streamed on HockeyTV. I'll probably watch early tomorrow morning as I have dinner plans tonight. A real game is finally here!

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
We get our first look at the U17's tonight as they take on the Johnstown Tomahawks of the NAHL in an exhibition game. Game will be streamed on HockeyTV. I'll probably watch early tomorrow morning as I have dinner plans tonight. A real game is finally here!

I am looking forward to a scouting report from you, NTDP. I will not be seeing the team in action until opening weekend at USA Hockey Arena on October 5th.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I am looking forward to a scouting report from you, NTDP. I will not be seeing the team in action until opening weekend at USA Hockey Arena on October 5th.

Gotcha covered. Does Pete Krupsky go on the road and broadcast games on the radio or online? I thought I saw him at a Youngstown game last year. Imagine it’s hard with two teams and a high probability one is at home while the other away.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Gotcha covered. Does Pete Krupsky go on the road and broadcast games on the radio or online? I thought I saw him at a Youngstown game last year. Imagine it’s hard with two teams and a high probability one is at home while the other away.

I haven't listened to a radio broadcast since the Whalers were here, so I'm not sure if Pete Krupsky goes on the road with them. The local high school radio station no longer carries the games, and I haven't had the desire to look for them via streaming radio.

I do miss seeing Sean Baligian around the arena, since he wasn't doing the color commentary with Pete at all last year. Sean's a really nice guy, and a fellow Habs fan. He would always stop by and at least say hello, or if he had a few minutes talk a little Habs hockey. It was funny watching him walk around the arena, greeting so many people. Pete, on the other hand, never seems to even acknowledge anyone as he walks around the arena or restaurant. Kind of odd for someone heading up communications for an organization.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I haven't listened to a radio broadcast since the Whalers were here, so I'm not sure if Pete Krupsky goes on the road with them. The local high school radio station no longer carries the games, and I haven't had the desire to look for them via streaming radio.

I do miss seeing Sean Baligian around the arena, since he wasn't doing the color commentary with Pete at all last year. Sean's a really nice guy, and a fellow Habs fan. He would always stop by and at least say hello, or if he had a few minutes talk a little Habs hockey. It was funny watching him walk around the arena, greeting so many people. Pete, on the other hand, never seems to even acknowledge anyone as he walks around the arena or restaurant. Kind of odd for someone heading up communications for an organization.

I didn’t mind Sean either. Had fun passion for the game. Im going to try and make it to the Minnesota game as well as a tournament up there. Will be nice to see you and your wife again and talk a little hockey throughout the game.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The U17's lost to Johnstown of the NAHL 6-2 in the opening game of the season. Connor Kelley and Hunter Strand scored for USA. First period was really bad on both sides as it was a feeling out process and just getting used to it again. But it was glad to see some NTDP hockey, those jersey are beautiful. Anyway Johnstown played pretty well and I might pay more attention to the NAHL this year. I don't think any other junior league has as many kids come into their programs uncommitted and leave after 3-4 years committed to a D1 program. So they might be a team to keep an eye out for because they played pretty well against Team USA.

Since there is a roster thread for these guys I'll just post in both places as far as player talk. Can't take much from the first game but both goaltenders saw action even though the website says it was Commesso all game. Nobody was great, some were good, others just vanilla but it's game 1. Defensemen: Jacob Truscott - Had a few bad turnovers but is an offensive minded player. Wasn't a great first game for him.
Tyler Kleven - He was good, looked pretty big, had two plays where he rushed the puck out of the zone himself. Got beat to the front of the net on one of Johnstown's goals though.
Eamon Powell - Had a few good shots, dished the puck quickly. Also made 2 good stops on D, one of them sliding to block a pass attempt.
Forwards
Thomas Bordeleau - He was noticeable at times. Had a good play to bat the puck down and deke a guy immediately afterword. Was able to get some time and space in the O zone.
Hunter Strand - He had a well placed shot on USA's 2nd goal. Buried it.
Dylan Peterson - Had a nice steal in the neutral zone and dished puck off to create a 2v1.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Just got around to watching the 2nd game of the year vs Johnstown. U17's won 4-3 in OT with a game winner by Luke Tuch who played well throughout the game. Thought he was good on both sides and made some smart plays.
On D Kleven was the best one out there. Can really accelerate and showed off a really hard shot throughout this one. Reads plays too as her intercepted a breakout pass.
Eamon Powell - Showed more of his shot throughout this one.
Daniel Laatsch - Fought hard in corners, won the puck to a breakout this way.
Jacob Truscott played better, had a bad turnover in the slot but he was more steady than Friday.
Dylan Peterson - Showed why he was highly touted for the OHL draft, able to use his edges to his advantage and turn around players and create passing lanes.
Thomas Bordeleau - Great slap shot that was well placed to beat the G low. He was good in the game before too.
Ty Smilanic was better in this game, had a good quick wraparound goal.
In goal Noah Grannan played very well making some difficult saves in tight with his pads. I know Commesso is the more touted goalie but Noah stood tall in net and made some impressive saves.

Good bounce back game overall against a good NAHL team.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
The U-18’s get their first game action in the USHL pre season taking on the Muskegon Lumberjacks tonight. First of 2 games against them before going to the fall classic in 2 weeks. Really excited to see this group again.

Muskegon has some players to watch as well - we may remember Randy Hernandez who played with us two years ago. Interested to see his improvement this year. Alex Gaffney was their tender from the North Jersey Avs and Danill Guschin who played as an underage at the Hlinka and showed very well. Really skilled player.
On D watch for Cam McDonald, heard he can break the puck out well and makes smart decisions with it

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Just realized I don’t think this game is being streamed due to renovations at the Lumberjacks arena. Muskegon’s article says it might have an audio stream though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad