NTDP 2017-18 Season Thread

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Has the USHL changed their playoff format? How would giving a first round bye work?
Really enjoying watching these teams, btw.

I am not sure of the exact playoff format, but was told by the box office manager who is trying to put together a playoff ticket package that the top 2 teams in each conference get a first round bye, and the first round is a best of 3 series. Based on simple mathematics, that would mean that 6 teams from each conference qualify for the postseason.

I think Team USA needs just one more win to clinch that first round bye, so hopefully that comes this weekend. Even with a first round bye, though, I'm not sure they will get far in the playoffs with 5 players getting promoted to the U18 team. Conversely, if the current U18 team were to compete in the USHL playoffs instead of going to the U18 WJC, I think that Team USA would win the championship -- they've been that dominant. They should be the heavy favorite at the U18 WJC, too.

trufflepiggy

Oct 13, 2015
Are the call ups now permanent on the U-18 roster, or are they injury replacements? Could they rejoin the U-17's for the playoffs? Playoffs?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Are the call ups now permanent on the U-18 roster, or are they injury replacements? Could they rejoin the U-17's for the playoffs? Playoffs?

The call-ups were not injury replacements, but instead were promoted due to their play and because they were better than the players they replaced on the U18 squad. Some of them could in theory be sent back to the U17 team, but I think most -- if not all -- of them will stay with the U18 team and head to the U18 WJC in Russia. If anyone gets sent back, it would probably be Cam York. Jack Hughes and Spencer Knight are definitely staying up -- Hughes is the team's best player, and Knight is the U18's best option for one of the goalie spots along with DeRidder. I couldn't see Turcotte or Caufield being demoted, either, as both have played well since moving up and this team needs their offensive talents.

Vlasic and Fenscore did get a brief call-up last Thursday to fill in for Wilde and Miller on defense, but they were both back with the U17 team the next night.

Speaking of goalies, I see that Drew DeRidder was playing on the road last night for the U17 team in their win over Central Illinois. I didn't notice his absence on the bench for last night's U18 home game -- Knight started, and I just assumed DeRidder was dressed as the backup. I'm not sure who was on the bench last night for the U18's -- I will have to pay more attention tonight. The game sheet we get just had DeRidder and Knight listed as the goalies.

Last edited:

trufflepiggy

Oct 13, 2015
I do not understand how the penalties worked to give team USA a man advantage during the third period. At 15:17 there were several penalties called. A double minor to Chicago and two minors to team USA. Shouldn't team USA have been shorthanded 4 on 3 for two minutes, then have had a 5 on 4 power play for two minutes, with both penalized players returning to play, and the Chicago player continuing to serve his double minor?

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
Speaking of goalies, I see that Drew DeRidder was playing on the road last night for the U17 team in their win over Central Illinois. I didn't notice his absence on the bench for last night's U18 home game -- Knight started, and I just assumed DeRidder was dressed as the backup. I'm not sure who was on the bench last night for the U18's -- I will have to pay more attention tonight. The game sheet we get just had DeRidder and Knight listed as the goalies.

I believe I answered you already in another thread here somewhere, but just to be sure: Josh Graziano was second goalie for the U18s according to line sheet on NTDP twitter account

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Jez

Jun 6, 2017
New York
Even with a first round bye, though, I'm not sure they will get far in the playoffs with 5 players getting promoted to the U18 team. Conversely, if the current U18 team were to compete in the USHL playoffs instead of going to the U18 WJC, I think that Team USA would win the championship -- they've been that dominant. They should be the heavy favorite at the U18 WJC, too.

I couldn't agree more. That U18 team might be the best NTDP team ever (and the '96 and '97 were really good). They are so balanced upfront now that they have Wise back with Hughes playing up. I have been pleasantly surprised by Gruden who scored a fantastic between the legs goal over the weekend. But it's their defense that makes them so hard to play against. Wilde, Miller and the Samuelssons are nasty and so physical.

The U17 team has a chance in the playoffs especially with the bye but it is a very slim chance. They have some great talent up front still. I think Boldy and Zegras will go high in 2019 and Rolston will go very high in 2020 if he continues his play of the last few weeks. Beecher is finding his stride and I expect a great season from him next year. But if the USA take both Knight and DeRidder to the U18 Worlds then they are throwing the towel on the USHL playoffs.

I was looking at the dates though. The USHL season finishes on April 14. The U18 Worlds final is on the 29 I think. With the first round bye and if we imagine that the U17 hold the fort to start the 2nd round. Could the U18s finish the 2nd round and play the final? Last year the cup was won on May 24...

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I couldn't agree more. That U18 team might be the best NTDP team ever (and the '96 and '97 were really good). They are so balanced upfront now that they have Wise back with Hughes playing up. I have been pleasantly surprised by Gruden who scored a fantastic between the legs goal over the weekend. But it's their defense that makes them so hard to play against. Wilde, Miller and the Samuelssons are nasty and so physical.

The U17 team has a chance in the playoffs especially with the bye but it is a very slim chance. They have some great talent up front still. I think Boldy and Zegras will go high in 2019 and Rolston will go very high in 2020 if he continues his play of the last few weeks. Beecher is finding his stride and I expect a great season from him next year. But if the USA take both Knight and DeRidder to the U18 Worlds then they are throwing the towel on the USHL playoffs.

I was looking at the dates though. The USHL season finishes on April 14. The U18 Worlds final is on the 29 I think. With the first round bye and if we imagine that the U17 hold the fort to start the 2nd round. Could the U18s finish the 2nd round and play the final? Last year the cup was won on May 24...

Actually, I think defense is the worst part of this team. Wilde and Miller generate offense, but they are not good defensively, and should not be paired together -- that's poor coaching. Every game we witness multiple breakaways and odd man rushes by the opponent, and most of the time it's because Wilde and Miller are on the ice. They both need a lot of improvement on their defensive games if they want to make it in the NHL.

As for the USHL playoffs, I doubt the U18's would participate even if the U17's are still alive when the U18 WJC is over. The program has always geared the the U18 team towards winning the WJC being the team's goal, as well as their season finale.

Reactions: Jez

Jez

Jun 6, 2017
New York
Actually, I think defense is the worst part of this team. Wilde and Miller generate offense, but they are not good defensively, and should not be paired together -- that's poor coaching. Every game we witness multiple breakaways and odd man rushes by the opponent, and most of the time it's because Wilde and Miller are on the ice. They both need a lot of improvement on their defensive games if they want to make it in the NHL.

I agree that Wilde and Miller need to improve their decision making. I could see Miller play 4 years in college. Wilde makes questionable decisions about when to join the rush or when to stand up at the blueline but he is also so gifted offensively.

I don't think it's as dire as you describe though. They both battle hard and play physical which was the point I was trying to make. They are 17/18 years old d-men but they never seem to shy away from throwing a hit or clearing the crease.

I see that you live in Plymouth and I guess you get to see the team live, what would your ideal pairings be for the U18 team?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I see that you live in Plymouth and I guess you get to see the team live, what would your ideal pairings be for the U18 team?

Yes, we live just a couple of miles from the arena and have been season ticket holders since the NTDP relocated here from Ann Arbor -- this is their 3rd season in Plymouth. Before that, the Plymouth Whalers from the Ontario Hockey League played in the arena (it was called Compuware Arena then) and we were long time fans and season ticket holders with that team. Peter Karmanos owned both the team and arena, but was selling all his sports assets -- Whalers, Carolina Hurricanes, Florida Everblades, etc. USA Hockey jumped on the arena, as the NTDP had outgrown it's small home -- the Ice Cube -- in Ann Arbor. The Whalers were sold separately and that team was relocated to Flint, Michigan, which is about an hour north of Plymouth.

I would probably put Mattias Samuelsson with Wilde and Emberson with Miller to give each of the "defensively challenged" guys a more responsible partner.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
excited to see these boys in a few week hopefully destroy whatever Canada and the rest have to throw at us at the u-18.

Wise has been amazing and this could be his spotlight to shine for draft day - also would love to see them bring in Arthur Kaliyev for some experience if he becomes available.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
A little off topic. Is USA arena hosting the Summer Showcase again? Went nearly everyday last year. Seeing all those prospects and the NHL elite around you for 5.00 a day was best investment ever.....

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Thanks for the info and updates. For the record I miss the Whalers a ton......
Me, too. However, I consider ourselves fortunate that Karmanos sold the arena to USA Hockey instead of to a land developer. So we still have quality major junior hockey here instead of another commercial development.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I called USA Arena today. They said Canada is hosting the Showcase the next two years. Spoke with the guy in the box office. Hope he's wrong.

Whalers fan, you're right. My only issue is the visiting teams talent isn't all that great. USA Hockey I'm fine with. In the OHL days London, those stacked Windsor teams. Lots of great young players.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I called USA Arena today. They said Canada is hosting the Showcase the next two years. Spoke with the guy in the box office. Hope he's wrong.

Whalers fan, you're right. My only issue is the visiting teams talent isn't all that great. USA Hockey I'm fine with. In the OHL days London, those stacked Windsor teams. Lots of great young players.

Yes, the USHL teams do not bring in the top talent like the OHL did -- we are not seeing any opposing players like we used to with Stamkos, Tavares, McDavid, etc. Most nights you were seeing future first round talents on the opposing teams, and now the only first round prospects are on Team USA, except during the Five Nations tournament. The crowds are usually much smaller, too, except for special occasions like visits by The University of Michigan, Michigan State, or international games against Russia or Canada. Otherwise, the crowds are pretty small. I miss seeing lots of visiting fans in the stands, too. We used to get the same group from Saginaw sitting right in front of us every time the Spirit came to town -- we always had a great time with those nice people. Now, the only fans of the opposing USHL teams are family and friends of the opposing players.

I miss the intensity of the OHL playoffs, too. While Team USA did make the USHL playoffs this season, it just isn't the same as all those great Whalers playoff series we saw over the years. We pretty much knew this U17 NTDP team, without its five best players, was living on borrowed time in the playoffs.

With all that said, there are positives to having the NTDP here, too. We've hosted a Five Nations tournament each season since the program moved here, so we get to see some fine international players. There have also been some major NCAA programs who have visited, such as U of M, MSU and Notre Dame.

I do commend Karmanos for selling the arena to USA Hockey. As he moved into his retirement years, he was selling all his teams -- Carolina Hurricanes, Whalers and Florida Everblades (ECHL). There was no local person who was going to buy both the Whalers and the arena, so at least he made sure the arena would still be around hosting major junior hockey. Karmanos must have operated the Whalers at a financial loss over the 25 years he owned the franchise, but he did it because he believed in youth and junior hockey. Even with the money he made off the sale of the arena and team, I doubt it was really a sound financial investment over those 25 years.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
BTW, I just verified with the ticket operations director at the arena that the World Junior Showcase will indeed be held in Canada this summer. She said they are hoping to get it back at USA Hockey Arena next summer, though.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Any clue WHERE in Canada? Might still be worth a trip from The Lower 48.

Sorry, but I didn't ask where in Canada it would be held, and I'm not sure she would know that information. I doubt I would attend, even if it's held in nearby Windsor (about a 45 minute drive to their arena from my house, not accounting for border-crossing time).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->