NTDP 2017-18 Season Thread

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Anyone going to the game tonight in Plymouth? They are doing a poster series give away and was wondering if anyone would be willing to sell theirs? It's a giveaway to first 500. Any help would be appreciated.

I will be at the game tonight. If I end up with a poster, I will let you know. I already have an autographed Larkin poster from a couple of seasons ago when he attended a game and signed stuff for the season ticket holders. I'm not a Red Wings fan, so I do not really need a 2nd poster. I only stood in line to get the first one autographed because I was getting a puck signed for a friend who is a huge Wings fan/STH and collects that stuff.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Here's a fun article on the NTDP program.

USNTDP hockey model will lead to world domination

Thanks for posting this. It was an interesting read from a Canadian media perspective. However, I'm not sure why they quoted U18 coach Seth Appert so much about the U17 team. It's his first year coaching in the program, so he's never coached a U17 squad.

ALF AmericanLionsFan, I have a Dylan Larkin poster for you from last night's game. If you will pick up the cost of shipping, it's yours. Send me a private message and we can work out the details if you are still interested.

The weekend games between the U18's and Sioux City were entertaining. The NTDP dominated play in both games, but lost on Friday night in a shootout due to poor defensive plays on the first 3 SC goals and a power play goal resulting from a terrible charging call against Farabee late in the 3rd period. Farabee was rightfully pissed, as the SC player clearly ran over his own goaltender, yet Farabee was sent off for charging. After the quick PP goal, Farabee left the box, headed straight to the referee, really let him have it, and then left the ice for the dressing room. We thought he'd been tossed from the game, but Farabee was back on the ice for his next shift with Wahlstrom and Hughes, so I'm not sure what happened.

Saturday's game was a much better outcome, with the NTDP dominating on the scoreboard as well as the play on the ice. DeRidder is clearly a much better goaltender than Mor, which helped, and the defense didn't have as many lapses, either -- just one goal was due to a defensive screw up.

Mattias Samuelsson was missing in action for both games. I'm not sure if he's injured, or if something else is going on.

It was entertaining listening to the Sioux City radio broadcaster for both nights -- we sit right in front of the visiting press box and can always hear the visiting announcers. We wished we were watching the same games as him, as the game he was watching sounded a lot more exciting. Weak wrist shots were excitedly described as great saves from blistering slap shots, and simple passes were amazing plays. :laugh: He was quite the homer, too, with him calling for a penalty every time a SC player went to the ice, regardless of the reason. Once, after a SC player tripped over his own feet and the announcer began screaming for a penalty, both myself and the guy who sits next to me turned around at the same time and asked "what game are you watching?". :laugh: Normally we never say anything to the visiting broadcasters, so it was very funny that we both had the exact same reaction to that call.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The U17 team looked impressive again last night in beating Sioux Falls 6-3. The team really moves the puck and skates well. They have been a joy to watch this season, even with Jack Hughes now playing for the U18 squad. Last night Trevor Zegras and Alex Vlasic really stood out with their play. Vlasic can skate pretty well for a big defensemen -- the scouts will probably be drooling over him in the 2019 NHL Draft.

Don't look now, but Team USA is actually in first place in the USHL Eastern Conference after winning 9 of their last 10 games. We may be seeing post season hockey for the first time here in Plymouth since the Whalers left.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
The U17 team looked impressive again last night in beating Sioux Falls 6-3. The team really moves the puck and skates well. They have been a joy to watch this season, even with Jack Hughes now playing for the U18 squad. Last night Trevor Zegras and Alex Vlasic really stood out with their play. Vlasic can skate pretty well for a big defensemen -- the scouts will probably be drooling over him in the 2019 NHL Draft.

Don't look now, but Team USA is actually in first place in the USHL Eastern Conference after winning 9 of their last 10 games. We may be seeing post season hockey for the first time here in Plymouth since the Whalers left.
I've only followed the NTDP for a few seasons. Is it true the teams have never made the playoffs? If so, and this team makes it... fantastic!

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I've only followed the NTDP for a few seasons. Is it true the teams have never made the playoffs? If so, and this team makes it... fantastic!

The NTDP has only been playing full time in the USHL since 2009. They have made the playoffs (either once or twice), but not since the program moved from Ann Arbor to Plymouth -- this is their 3rd season in Plymouth. It's difficult for Team USA to make the USHL playoffs, as the U17 team plays the majority of Team USA's USHL games and that squad usually struggles in their first year in the program. This season, though, the U17's have been playing extremely well. Team USA currently leads the Eastern Conference by 6 points, and has played fewer games than any other team in the league. With both the U17 and U18 teams playing well right now, the team looks to be in good shape to make it to the playoffs this spring.

Reactions: clevelandcane

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
The NTDP has only been playing full time in the USHL since 2009. They have made the playoffs (either once or twice), but not since the program moved from Ann Arbor to Plymouth -- this is their 3rd season in Plymouth. It's difficult for Team USA to make the USHL playoffs, as the U17 team plays the majority of Team USA's USHL games and that squad usually struggles in their first year in the program. This season, though, the U17's have been playing extremely well. Team USA currently leads the Eastern Conference by 6 points, and has played fewer games than any other team in the league. With both the U17 and U18 teams playing well right now, the team looks to be in good shape to make it to the playoffs this spring.
Who would you say are the best players on the U17 team? Who is WJC quality?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Who would you say are the best players on the U17 team? Who is WJC quality?

With Jack Hughes now playing on the U18 squad, Cole Caufield is now the leading scorer on the team, and leads the team in goals scored by a large margin (40 G 11 A). Matthew Boldy and Alex Turcotte have also been contributing a lot offensively. Tony Zegras has impressed me with his skating and puck handling. Sean Farrell and Michael Gildon have also impressed.

On the blue line, Alex Vlasic has the combination of size and skill that will make NHL scouts drool, as he skates and handles the puck very well. I think he may end up being the 2nd most desired prospect out of this class behind Hughes.

Both Spencer Knight and Cameron Rowe have played well in net, and could be similar to the Oettinger / Wohl situation where both teammates eventually end up on the U20 WJC. At the very least, Knight should be on a future WJC team. It's a nice change from last season's U17 team, where the goaltending was a disaster, with both goaltenders being let go from the team midseason. Fortunately, the program invited Drew DeRidder to play for the U18's this season and he's been one of the biggest bright spots on that team.

Last edited:
Reactions: clevelandcane

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
With Jack Hughes now playing on the U18 squad, Cole Caufield is now the leading scorer on the team, and leads the team in goals scored by a large margin (40 G 11 A). Matthew Boldy and Alex Turcotte have also been contributing a lot offensively. Tony Zegras has impressed me with his skating and puck handling. Sean Farrell and Michael Gildon have also impressed.

On the blue line, Alex Vlasic has the combination of size and skill that will make NHL scouts drool, as he skates and handles the puck very well. I think he may end up being the 2nd most desired prospect out of this class behind Hughes.

Both Spencer Knight and Cameron Rowe have played well in net, and could be similar to the Oettinger / Wohl situation where both teammates eventually end up on the U20 WJC. At the very least, Knight should be on a future WJC team. It's a nice change from last season's U17 team, where the goaltending was a disaster, with both goaltenders being let go from the team midseason. Fortunately, the program invited Drew DeRidder to play for the U18's this season and he's been one of the biggest bright spots on that team.
Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

WCSGarrett

Zamboni Driver
Feb 18, 2018
Seattle
www.youtube.com
The U17 Team, having just completed their third and final International Tournament of the season, took home Gold for the third time and boasts a perfect 12-0-0 record. Very nice job, boys.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The U17 Team, having just completed their third and final International Tournament of the season, took home Gold for the third time and boasts a perfect 12-0-0 record. Very nice job, boys.

I think they actually finished 14-0-0 in international competition, which is a very impressive accomplishment. After watching the U18 Five Nations tournament last week, I'm looking forward to seeing the U17 squad again this weekend. They are so much fun to watch.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
With Cole Caufield, Alex Turcotte, Spencer Knight and Cam York joining Jack Hughes on the U18 squad, the U17s may not be quite as much fun to watch for the rest of the season. On the plus side, though, moving those players up (except for Knight) should really help the scoring for the U18 team in the WC after the season. The U18s have struggled to generate offense from anything other than their first line until now.

I'm not sure moving Knight up is the best idea, though, where he'll be fighting for ice time with Drew DeRidder, who has played well all season. However, this does open up more playing time for Cameron Rowe in goal for the U17s.

WCSGarrett

Zamboni Driver
Feb 18, 2018
Seattle
www.youtube.com
With Cole Caufield, Alex Turcotte, Spencer Knight and Cam York joining Jack Hughes on the U18 squad, the U17s may not be quite as much fun to watch for the rest of the season. On the plus side, though, moving those players up (except for Knight) should really help the scoring for the U18 team in the WC after the season. The U18s have struggled to generate offense from anything other than their first line until now.

I'm not sure moving Knight up is the best idea, though, where he'll be fighting for ice time with Drew DeRidder, who has played well all season. However, this does open up more playing time for Cameron Rowe in goal for the U17s.

Should be interesting to see the kids with a larger role on the U18 squad. The U17 team is also suffering a couple injuries if I recall correctly. Hoping for the best from here on out.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
Why are they adding a 19-year-old to the U17 roster?

Goalie Jake MacLennan, born 9/23/98... How does that work?

wisssh

Oct 2, 2005
North America
probably just for the weekend calls ups happen every year because injury or suspensions
USHL games YES.... if international like U 17 challenge or 5 nations NO

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Why are they adding a 19-year-old to the U17 roster?

Goalie Jake MacLennan, born 9/23/98... How does that work?

Jonathan Mor was not dressed for last night's game, so something is up with him -- either injured or not happy about being demoted to the younger U17 team. So the program needed a backup goalie, and MacLennan was probably available. As @wisssh said, for USHL games the player does not need to fit the U17 age bracket, just the USHL age requirements.

BTW, Cameron Rowe played a great game in net last night in the U17's 7-2 win over the Western Conference's first place team, Omaha. He's going to benefit from Spencer Knight being moved up to the U18 squad.

Reactions: Frannel

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Team USA clinched a USHL playoff spot last night with the U18's 10-3 route over Madison. The team will earn a first round bye if they can hold onto first place in the conference, and it would be surprising if they didn't considering how well the U18 team is playing right now. There will be post season hockey in Plymouth again this Spring.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
Team USA clinched a USHL playoff spot last night with the U18's 10-3 route over Madison. The team will earn a first round bye if they can hold onto first place in the conference, and it would be surprising if they didn't considering how well the U18 team is playing right now. There will be post season hockey in Plymouth again this Spring.
You are just a lucky fellow ;-)

trufflepiggy

Oct 13, 2015
Has the USHL changed their playoff format? How would giving a first round bye work?
Really enjoying watching these teams, btw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad