NTDP 2017-18 Season Thread

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Time to start the season thread for the program. U-17's routed the Wilderness last night and the U-18's should do something similar tonight. Although I'm not sure it'll be 12-1.

Just one game but the young guys looked good last night. It was a team in the NAHL and they had a lot of rookies playing for them as well, but the NTDP still looked good. They moved the puck really well, were quick to lose pucks, used the ice well and got a lot of pucks towards the net. Boldy was good, Turcotte was all over the ice. He's quick and looks really hard to knock off the puck. I didn't see that part to his game when I saw him at youth nationals last year. He stripped the puck off quite a few players sticks last night. Marshall Warren was a beast out there. Made real smart passes but was also the biggest physical presence on D. A big surprise was Vlasic, who I thought would be more of a bigger shut down D really stepped up at the line and had good gap control all game. Showed offensive flare and he has a lot better hands than I thought.

Quinn Hughes was fantastic too, his speed through the neutral zone was evident especially when he went around 2 guys over the blue line to set up a goal in the 2nd period. Wilderness we just overmatched all game but they had a few d men that made some nice plays getting out of their zone. Can't really blame them, they were just over matched in all aspects.

This U-17 team will get it's fair share of games they get knocked around in the USHL, happens every year. Remember last year when the opening game they beat the Muskegon Lumberjacks 7-1 and then got brought back to reality when they played Youngstown the following weekend.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Quinn Hughes was fantastic too, his speed through the neutral zone was evident especially when he went around 2 guys over the blue line to set up a goal in the 2nd period. Wilderness we just overmatched all game but they had a few d men that made some nice plays getting out of their zone. Can't really blame them, they were just over matched in all aspects.

Jack Hughes** right. This U17 team is so exciting, there are several seriously talented players that could be legitimate NHL stars down the line.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I think in 10 years we'll look back and be blown away by how much talent was in both the U17 and 18 team at one time. Both have so much potential.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I missed both exhibition games last weekend, as we were out of town. Glad to hear the U17 team looked so good. I am looking forward to the home regular season beginning next month. It is shaping up to be a fun season for both squads.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Haha yes I did mean Jack Hughes** was on autopilot. The U-18 team played good too. Bode Wilde has really quick feet as he had a few givaways and got back into the play and stole the puck. He had a nice rush where he deked around the defender to get a chance and then assist on the play. Agree that we have talent spread around on both these squads, this will be imo the most exciting year to watch both teams since the years of Werenski, Matthews on the U-17 while Milano, Eichel, Tuch and co. were on the U18 squad.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The U17 team got off to a good start with a 10-5 win over defending USHL champs Chicago.

I picked up our season tickets yesterday. This year's gift is a knit winter cap. Looking forward to the first home game on Friday - - the U18 squad versus Miami (OH) University.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
While the U18 team lost to Miami (OH) University on Friday, it was an exciting game. If Team USA could have stayed out of the penalty box they may have pulled it out. Jonathan Mor played in net and struggled at times. Hopefully we get to see Drew DeRidder soon.

This weekend will be my first look at the U17 squad with two home games versus Green Bay.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
We had out first look at the U17 team last weekend, and they were very impressive -- beating Green Bay twice. The team moved the puck and skated extremely well, and both goaltenders were solid. Other than a little letdown late in the 2nd game that turned a solid 4-1 lead into a closer that it should have been 6-4 victory, the team dominated the Gamblers for most of the 6 periods of action. This squad has not lost a game yet this season.

So many players looked good that it is difficult to pick out those who really stood out. I will say that Jack Hughes looked very impressive, though. He can really skate and handle the puck. He scored a highlight reel goal in Sunday's game, skating around several opponents before beating the goalie. You can see it on the NTDP website's highlights of the game at around the 1:10 mark of the highlight clip.

I think this U17 team has a chance to be very special. It will be interesting to see how they do next weekend against a different opponent, with Cedar Rapids coming to town.

Edited to add link to highlights from yesterday's game.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMCx4

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Is there anywhere I can watch complete NTDP games?

From the NTDP website:

"All NTDP home games and contests within the United States Hockey League are broadcast live on HockeyTV. The pay-per-view service offers multiple options for visitors enjoyment. From live streaming media to archives on-demand, visitors can enjoy games from anywhere in the world."

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
From the NTDP website:

"All NTDP home games and contests within the United States Hockey League are broadcast live on HockeyTV. The pay-per-view service offers multiple options for visitors enjoyment. From live streaming media to archives on-demand, visitors can enjoy games from anywhere in the world."

Thanks for the info but I guess I should have added where I can watch the games online for free.

Hockeytv looks cool but at $30 a month it costs more than NHL gamecenter live. Cant pay for another service unfortunately.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Thanks for the info but I guess I should have added where I can watch the games online for free.

Hockeytv looks cool but at $30 a month it costs more than NHL gamecenter live. Cant pay for another service unfortunately.

Sorry, I don't know much about HockeyTV. I was just quoting the NTDP website. I wouldn't pay $30/month for it, either.

The only other place I know of where the games are televised is on our local Comcast system. The production is done by Schoolcraft Community College, but it's only useful if you are local to this area. The program posts highlights on YouTube, but not full games.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Had my first opportunity to see Drew DeRidder play goal for the U18s last night, and he was impressive. While he let in two goals, neither could be blamed on him -- the first was on a 2-0 odd-man rush, and the second was from a redirected shot. Check out the highlight reel below beginning at the 1:45 mark. Drew made several excellent saves to keep the score 3-2 in favor of Team USA. Previously, DeRidder had two shutouts in his last four games, so he appears to be picking up where he left off playing for Cedar Rapids last season and settling in nicely with this team.

The U18s dominated the game, but the score was kept close because they spent way too much time in the penalty box and gave up more odd-man rushes than I can remember seeing in a game in a long time. The coaching staff definitely has some things to work on with the boys.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
u17s seem strong, usually they don't fare so well against USHL competition in the beginning.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'm kind of sad to see that this thread hasn't been as active as years past.

@Whalers Fan and @NTDP - I hope you guys are doing well. Two of the best posters on this site.

I like to check in here from time to time on the NTDP as the program has been churning out absolute studs for the past few season.

I was wondering, do you guys have any idea of what's going on with JD Greenway this season? On the Leafs board we've heard that he hasn't played a game this year in the NCAA due to personal reasons? Do you guys have any idea as to what has gone on with him?

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Its like a tale of two cities with the U17s flying through the competition undefeated at the U17 Hockey Challenge, and the U18s winless in their first 3 in the 5 nations tournament. The u17 team is something else, and the u18s are struggling now.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I'm kind of sad to see that this thread hasn't been as active as years past.

@Whalers Fan and @NTDP - I hope you guys are doing well. Two of the best posters on this site.

I like to check in here from time to time on the NTDP as the program has been churning out absolute studs for the past few season.

I was wondering, do you guys have any idea of what's going on with JD Greenway this season? On the Leafs board we've heard that he hasn't played a game this year in the NCAA due to personal reasons? Do you guys have any idea as to what has gone on with him?
Thanks for the kind words. I wish this thread was a litle more active, too, but will try to post my impressions of the home games as the season progresses. We missed the game the last home games, and both teams have benn away at tournaments since, so it has been awhile since I have been to a game. There are two home games this coming weekend, so I am looking forward to seeing some hockey.

Not sure what is going on with Greenway. I do not follow the NCAA that closely.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Its like a tale of two cities with the U17s flying through the competition undefeated at the U17 Hockey Challenge, and the U18s winless in their first 3 in the 5 nations tournament. The u17 team is something else, and the u18s are struggling now.
While the U18s have had some nice individual performances in the games I have seen, so far this season they have not looked sharp collectively as a team. I think they lack depth at the forward positions. It will be interesting to see if Jack Hughes gets moved up from the U17s, and how that changes things between the two squads.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Thanks for the kind words. I wish this thread was a litle more active, too, but will try to post my impressions of the home games as the season progresses. We missed the game the last home games, and both teams have benn away at tournaments since, so it has been awhile since I have been to a game. There are two home games this coming weekend, so I am looking forward to seeing some hockey.

Not sure what is going on with Greenway. I do not follow the NCAA that closely.
The U17's won the gold. Congrats!

Reactions: clevelandcane

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Week recap - U17's

U17's vs Sioux Falls Stampede
What a beautiful arena the Stampede play in. Would love to go and see that place sometime. The U17's fell 6-3. That's two straight to USHL teams with the prior one being the first game since the World U17's against a good Chicago Steel team. Fensore played a good game on D, as did Seidem, and York. The usual suspects of McCarthy, Warren, and Helleson weren't as visible in this one. Fensore had a few times where he controlled the puck in the O zone and got around a few players to set up a play. He also was tough to get around all game and made some smart chip plays to get the puck out of danger. I'm going to keep a closer eye on him in the coming games. Spencer Knight was good in net. Wasn't his fault on some of those goals. Made a highlight reel save in the 2nd as he had to come across the crease with a glove save. He's big and athletic in net.

For Sioux Falls a few players stood out. On offense Jaxon Nelson was good, but not overpowering. This is a guy we've heard about since he absolutely shredded Minnesota high school hockey two years ago. He's big and can move out there, he reminds me of a less talented Tim Gettinger of the Soo Greyhounds. But he scored a nice deflection goal. Mitchell Mattson (North Dakota) and Nolan Walker (St. Cloud) both play very aware and sound games. They dish the puck well but also have good sticks in the passing lanes throughout the D zone. Lucas Bereault had a beauty of a goal to get things going. Took a pass coming over the blue line and faked backhand only to go forehand right over the glove of Knight. All with speed, it was a pretty goal.

U17's vs Omaha Lancers

Lancers won 6-1. Not much to really say from the U17's in this one. They looked disjointed and Omaha took it to them in all 3 zones. USA didn't have many great chances. Come to think of it I don't even remember who scored our goal. Jack Hughes didn't do much in these two games. He tried to dance around people a little to much and against USHL defencemen that isn't always going to work. On Omaha I like Filip Suchy's game. He's from the Czech Republic and showed some really good vision along with speed on a breakaway that led to a nice backhand deke to beat Cameron Rowe. Noah Cates (Minn-Duluth) who is also a Flyers pick has a really quick release on the puck. He caught a pass in the slot and it was off his stick short side in no time. He also protects the puck well coming over the blue line, USA had a hard time knocking him off it all game. Cam Reagan and Hunter Carrick on D had good showings too.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Nice to see you posting again, NTDP.

The U17's home game versus the Chicago Steel was a lot like what you described in their game against Omaha. They did very little, and Jack Hughes also did not stand out. The score was closer than the actual game, IMO. It was the first poor game we have seen them play at home this season. Hopefully they will turn things around this Thursday at home against against Fargo.

The U18's have also struggled some lately. They looked sloppy against Adrian College on the night before Thanksgiving, needing an overturned Adrian goal and then overtime to beat a team they were clearly bigger, faster and more talented than. The team continues to get out of position defensively and give up breakaways and odd-man rushes. In the game against Adrian they were able to get away with it, as their defensemen were much faster than the Adrian forwards, so they were able to get back and recover most of the time. The bright spot in that game was Drew DeRidder in goal. He continues to impress me when I see him. Drew's puck handling skills really stood out in this game.

The U18's then were blown out in a road game at Lake Superior State over the holiday weekend. Hopefully they will get their act together before this weekend, as they will be hosting the University of Michigan on Saturday evening. We have some friends joining us for the game, and from talking with the box office manager there should be a very good crowd for the game -- most of the seats around us were already sold a couple of weeks ago. The team is expecting a big crowd for the game versus Michigan State on December 17th, too.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Thanks for the update on the U18's this past week. Wasn't able to catch those but will this coming week. Since I've been out of it the past month/half how has Wahlstrom, Wilde and co. looked? I wish I could come up for that one against Michigan. Would be a hell of an atmosphere.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Wahlstrom had the game winner in overtime on a nice shot against Adrian College, and Wilde had the other goal. However, Wilde has been a little shaky defensively lately, as have the rest of the blue liners.

Too bad you can't make the Michigan game. There's always the MSU game two weeks later, though, with the return of former NTDP coach Danton Cole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->