Proposal: NSH-VAN

FilTheThrill

Apr 17, 2017
The Preds need to shed some salary if they want to get Duchene and other pieces this offseason. The play of Fabbro has made Ellis expendable, especially when you factor in his new extension that will pay him almost $6.5 million for many more years. Here is my proposal, let's see what you think:

To VAN: R. Ellis, C. Jarnkrok
To NSH: T. Stetcher, A. Gaudette+

Not really sure what Gaudette's value would be, it seems like it would be less than it once was due to an underwhelming rookie year, although it seems like he did fine in the AHL. The plus, if need be, can be anything from a pick to a prospect, doesn't really matter.

This trade helps Nashville free up cap space to make some other moves, replaces Ellis with a pretty decent D-Man on a fair contract, and gives them a prospect that hopefully can help in the future.

It helps the Canucks as it gives them a nice 15G 15A utility forward in Jarnkrok (seriously, he's played in all situations even defense). It also gives them a legit top 4 defenseman, although he makes several million more than Stetcher, but you gotta pay something to get something.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Pass. Ellis and Jarnkrok are nice players, but it doesn't make a ton of sense for Vancouver to get older and more expensive. Value isn't bad though.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I would pass as well. Stecher is a solid top-4 and a local kid, and Gaudette is just getting started - don't know what we have but he projects to be a middle 6 centre.

Ellis for Nylander (TOR) seems like it would be a good swap.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I'd make Gaudette available for Ellis, we'd have to add to this as well; I'm not sure what, but it couldn't be Stecher. Jarnkrok isn't really a need, we have enough veteran bottom 6 centers.

I know many would not be thrilled with selling Gaudette, but we need to re-build our defense somehow. I'd be willing to pay assets for defensemen like Ellis.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I would consider Ellis for Stetcher and a small + if this is a cap move by Nashville but if the Preds want full value I have zero interest in the additional cap for players in their late 20's when the bulk of our core is in their early 20's. I would like to hang onto Gaudette to see what he actually is. His rookie year was interrupted by the Canucks collection of bottom 6 forwards, he was in the press box then in Utica then back up to Vancouver. He played better than our other bottom 6 players but with multi-millions tied up in Sutter and Beagle Gaudette didn't really get a chance to establish himself this season. I can see flashes of Kesler in his game and would really like to see what he can become.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I'd make Gaudette available for Ellis, we'd have to add to this as well; I'm not sure what, but it couldn't be Stecher. Jarnkrok isn't really a need, we have enough veteran bottom 6 centers.

I know many would not be thrilled with selling Gaudette, but we need to re-build our defense somehow. I'd be willing to pay assets for defensemen like Ellis.
Just keep Edler then. Dont have to trade anyone then

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I would consider Ellis for Stetcher and a small + if this is a cap move by Nashville but if the Preds want full value I have zero interest in the additional cap for players in their late 20's when the bulk of our core is in their early 20's. I would like to hang onto Gaudette to see what he actually is. His rookie year was interrupted by the Canucks collection of bottom 6 forwards, he was in the press box then in Utica then back up to Vancouver. He played better than our other bottom 6 players but with multi-millions tied up in Sutter and Beagle Gaudette didn't really get a chance to establish himself this season. I can see flashes of Kesler in his game and would really like to see what he can become.
The point of moving Ellis or Subban is that we would still have a complete top 4 with Fabbro moving up, a defenseman as the primary return for either makes zero sense for us.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
The point of moving Ellis or Subban is that we would still have a complete top 4 with Fabbro moving up, a defenseman as the primary return for either makes zero sense for us.

That's fine and I understand that from a Preds point of view, I was talking from a personal fan of the Canucks perspective. We definitely don't need anymore late 20's bottom 6 forwards, in fact I would be all over getting rid of a few. Ellis is an improvement to our defense, but value needs to make sense and we can't "rob Peter to pay Paul".

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
While I don't think he has much value you probably can dump Turris to a team desperate for a center if you need the capspace.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
How are Canucks fans turning this down? Ellis is considerably better than Stecher and Gaudette is unlikely to become a better player than Jarnkrok. I'd do this all day from Vancouver's perspective.

Reactions: Canuck09

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
How are Canucks fans turning this down? Ellis is considerably better than Stecher and Gaudette is unlikely to become a better player than Jarnkrok. I'd do this all day from Vancouver's perspective.

This Canucks fan agrees. I'd do this all day.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I imagine Vancouver is hoping for a guy that fits their timeline a bit better, not that 28 is old by any means.

Does Ellis play the right side? If so, Van thinks very long and hard about this. Tough to give up on a hometown kid in Stecher, and promising C in Gaudette though.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I imagine Vancouver is hoping for a guy that fits their timeline a bit better, not that 28 is old by any means.

Does Ellis play the right side? If so, Van thinks very long and hard about this. Tough to give up on a hometown kid in Stecher, and promising C in Gaudette though.

He does.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
We'll surely get a 1st round pick for Subban. You're severely underrating him even if his value has decreased dramatically.

I wouldn't trade him for a defense prospect who's yet to play a game and a mid 2nd.
Your cash strapped, 9m in cap space is probably worth a lot to Nashville right now, they just went a whole playoff round without a PP goal, how is that possible? A retool is probably likely, with Fabbro signed, Ellis under contract for awhile and Josi up for contract soon? I could see the return being underwhelming on first view. Though if there is a place to turn Juolevi’s career around. It’s probably the defence factory that is Nashville

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
The only re-tool that we NEED is behind the bench. Fabbro is going to make Subban or Ellis expendable, so it makes sense to move one of them for the right deal.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
No thanks. Can’t see us trading those 2.

If Nashville were interested in prospects like Juolevi, Lind, Madden, Dipietro, Palmu, Jasek, then a trade could make sense. The only roster players we can trade that aren’t cap dumps are Goldobin and Motte.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Your cash strapped, 9m in cap space is probably worth a lot to Nashville right now,
We're not cash-strapped. $7M in cap space with the whole team already signed except for Sissons. We only need to shed salary if there is some fantasy scenario that lands us a UFA such as Duchesne. But realistically, we can't pin much hope on that fantasy. Though if we did follow that fantasy to its logical conclusion, signing a UFA center of that magnitude would also have the co-fantasy attached of allowing us to ditch Turris' $6M cap hit instead of underselling any of our better players.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->