Confirmed Trade: [NSH/OTT] Michael Carcone for Zach Magwood

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Probably has more to do with Belleville being quite full of left wingers and centermen, the positions Carcone mostly plays.
Carcone only played 10 games at LW last year and 0 at C. Magwood played 10 at RW in the AHL and, of the data I have of his ECHL games, 43+ games at RW in the ECHL. So it's moving a RW for another RW and not easing a logjam at any position. Plus it's moving a player who has played well at the AHL level for one that has played well at the ECHL level (And failed to stick as an AHLer) which is notable because Ottawa doesn't even have an ECHL affiliate this season.

I'm getting pretty sick of this 6th Sens guy. This is obviously not about the money. The Sens are log jammed on their AHL team, and are making room for the kids by moving an older perennial AHLer for a younger ECHLer.

It's less than a 2 year age difference. Carcone has played 3 years of AHL/pro hockey to Magwood's 2. I don't think it's really a youth movement deal.

If you look at the two players, they are virtually identical: within two years of the same age, nearly the same height/weight, played the same position. There are two large differences: Carcone, dating back to his junior days, has had significantly better numbers and the salary considerations. Kind of explains the deal, no matter what you think of 6th Sens.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It's less than a 2 year age difference. Carcone has played 3 years of AHL/pro hockey to Magwood's 2. I don't think it's really a youth movement deal.

If you look at the two players, they are virtually identical: within two years of the same age, nearly the same height/weight, played the same position. There are two large differences: Carcone, dating back to his junior days, has had significantly better numbers and the salary considerations. Kind of explains the deal, no matter what you think of 6th Sens.

Acutally, Carcone doesn't fit under the AHL veteran rule, which means he would take up a veteran spot. Magwood does not. So, no, they are not virtually identical.

This explains it far better than saving $50k.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Acutally, Carcone doesn't fit under the AHL veteran rule, which means he would take up a veteran spot. Magwood does not. So, no, they are not virtually identical.

This explains it far better than saving $50k.

I believe they tweaked that rule last year that players have to be age 25+ on July 1st in addition to the games played threshold.

Carcone is 24, so doesn't require a veteran slot.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Gives Nashville a player for the AHL which is great considering the new taxi squads. Magwood has apparently fallen out of favor since he's been spending so much time in the ECHL.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Gives Nashville a player for the AHL which is great considering the new taxi squads. Magwood has apparently fallen out of favor since he's been spending so much time in the ECHL.
It also wouldn't entirely surprise me if Magwood asked for a change of scenery. That he didn't get assigned to Florida and play there already like several of the Predators prospects already have suggests to me that maybe he was already "on the wire" so to speak.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Quick question:

Would you consider this an offseason trade (Maybe the last one of the offseason?)? Or with camps mere weeks away, would this be considered a trade for 2020-21 and the first of the upcoming season?
IMO everything between the Stanley Cup and training camp is offseason

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Seriously, I suspect the two GMs wanted to have a couple of drinks together so they made up this trade so they could write it off.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Preds place Carcone on waivers today. Why not just skip the dishes and put Magwood on waivers??

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Preds place Carcone on waivers today. Why not just skip the dishes and put Magwood on waivers??
It was always a minors thing, either guy would've been put on waivers and sent down, but either OTT preferred Magwood in the minors and NSH didn't mind giving him up for Carcone and/or NSH preferred Carcone, themselves.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Magwood is still exempt from waivers. He's kind of a tweener between the AHL and ECHL though. Whereas Carcone can definitely contribute for Milwaukee and was always going to be headed there, and have to clear waivers to get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad