Confirmed Trade: [NSH/OTT] Michael Carcone for Zach Magwood

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Older but established AHLer (Carcone) for a younger, overperforming ECHLer (Magwood). Well, certainly that's a trade. Likely amounts to nothing for both, but I guess you want as many little penny stocks as you can get if you're Ottawa, no matter how insignificant as it may seem at first glance. Also, Milwaukee's one of those AHL franchises, like Chicago and Charlotte, that like to run competitive clubs every year, so they like to acquire experienced roster depth like this from time to time.

Reactions: Morrison

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
if you want an explanation...well it saves OTT money

F*** me, that is so unbelievably Melnyk. Thank the lord that my home team doesn't have to deal with an owner like that anymore. I feel your pain, Sens fans, because under Karmanos we had the exact same nonsense taking place for 10 whole years.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Quick question:

Would you consider this an offseason trade (Maybe the last one of the offseason?)? Or with camps mere weeks away, would this be considered a trade for 2020-21 and the first of the upcoming season?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
if you want an explanation...well it saves OTT money

Probably has more to do with Belleville being quite full of left wingers and centermen, the positions Carcone mostly plays.

Formenton - Norris/Brown (whoever doesn't make the team, probably only room for 1)
Peca - Chlapik
Sokolov - Shaw
Haley - Beaudin
Kelly - Kastelic

Will certainly be shifting a few of these players to the right side, as it's less full with Abramov, Davidsson and Magwood as the RWers, but there was unquestionably a log jam and trading an established AHLer like Carcone for a depth guy like Magwood makes sense if it opens up more opportunity for younger guys like Sokolov, Kelly and Kastelic.

Saving 100K is nice too. Not like that's a small amount of money for an AHL team's budget.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Quick question:

Would you consider this an offseason trade (Maybe the last one of the offseason?)? Or with camps mere weeks away, would this be considered a trade for 2020-21 and the first of the upcoming season?

The 2020-21 league year started on Oct 9th. (Instead of the normal July 1st).

Training camp starts on Dec 31st. (Instead of the usual approx Sept 15th).

So the answer should be the same as if a player was traded on say August 15th or Sept 1st of a normal year.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I'm getting pretty sick of this 6th Sens guy. This is obviously not about the money. The Sens are log jammed on their AHL team, and are making room for the kids by moving an older perennial AHLer for a younger ECHLer.
Yep, I also think that signing bonuses don’t cover AHL salary. The bonus is independent

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
I'm getting pretty sick of this 6th Sens guy. This is obviously not about the money. The Sens are log jammed on their AHL team, and are making room for the kids by moving an older perennial AHLer for a younger ECHLer.

Yup , he's the most negative sens "fan" out there. Complains about literally everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad