Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Nashville sign Dan Hamhuis (2 years-$1,25 million AAV)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He wants to be remembered a pred instead of a Canuck. I mean who wouldn’t
imo it's more of a diss of Dallas than Vancouver. If it were just about being remembered as a Canuck vs Pred, I'd think he'd prefer to be remembered as a player who came within 1 game of winning a cup, which happened as a Canuck. His decision now is probably based on his desire to win a cup today, which of course puts Vancouver out of it so there's no snub there, but leaving Dallas is another matter. I know Dallas has some young upcoming D men, so maybe they are the ones walking away from Hamhuis, but it could also be Hamhuis walking away from Dallas.

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
imo it's more of a diss of Dallas than Vancouver. If it were just about being remembered as a Canuck vs Pred, I'd think he'd prefer to be remembered as a player who came within 1 game of winning a cup, which happened as a Canuck. His decision now is probably based on his desire to win a cup today, which of course puts Vancouver out of it so there's no snub there, but leaving Dallas is another matter. I know Dallas has some young upcoming D men, so maybe they are the ones walking away from Hamhuis, but it could also be Hamhuis walking away from Dallas.

Dallas walked away. Hamuis quoted earlier this season they were keeping options open for a trade.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Can someone help me understand what Hammer is capable of at this point in his career? Haven't kept tabs on him since he left Nashville. At the very least this seems to be an upgrade on Emelin.

Last year, defensive minded Hitch used Hammer and Patyrn in the shut down role, which they did quite well statistically and by the eye test for about 2/3 of the season. At the end, during the big losing streak, they ran out of steam, but so did the whole team. I think some of Hammer's decline at the end was age and over use.

Keep him to under 20 a game, give him every 10th game off, and he should be a solid D for NSH.

And he did comment that DAL wanted to save all their salary for a big acquisition, although I am not sure they would have minded keeping him at $1.25M. The second year probably scared them off. The Dallas problem is that they have run off a lot of good young D prospects who have done okay to well for others over the years. Nill has made some comments (and hired a coach) that says we finally have to let our "yutes" play and contribute. I mean, Nisky, Jo Benn, Dillon, Nemeth, Jamie O and so far, Honka, were all NHL D, at some level, that they just wouldn't let play, or dumped with slump too quickly.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think because this is a 2 year deal that the Ellis contract negotiation isn’t going well. If it was one year I’d just say it’s a replacement for Emelin but 2 years makes me think this is a stop gap for Fabbro to finish his senior year if we lose Ellis. Just my opinion. Hope I’m wrong

I think this was moreso about money (and thus term) for Hamhuis then it was about Nashville looking for some sort of insurance against Ellis.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He’s smart to take a 2 year . Thought he was going to get 1 if lucky on his reputation but he’s declining

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Can still play top 4 minutes if need be. Really good insurance if one of Josi or Ekholm go down. Hamhuis can fill in the top 4 without skipping a beat.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Nashville is alongside of buffalo one of my favourite teams, lots of talent on all positions, a genius gm and good coach. Hopefully they win the cup next year!
Now that Washington has gotten the monkey off their back it would be nice to see Nashville win the cup next year. Poile has been one of the better GMs in the league and has built a very good team in Nashville mainly through years of drafting. It would be nice to see Rinne win a cup.

Reactions: PredsV82 and RickP

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
Danhuis was always one of the better defensivemens in Nashville Predators, so this is certainly one very cheap and effective signing. Stanley Cup for Nashville is easily imagined.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't think this signing as anything to do with Ellis and his contract. I think this is something Poile was looking to do anyways as he did with Emelin last year. He's the guy that steps up if someone gets injured, rather than getting stuck with Irwin or Weber playing in the top 4. I'd say it's pretty likely Bitteto will be on waivers to the AHL after camp, unless he decides to dump one of Weber or Irwin.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's not what he used to be. But for this contract and term. Makes you wonder how did one of the deepest teams on D in the NHL get him and others could not. Good signing Preds.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Totally missed this, but it's a pretty awesome deal for Nashville. No real downside to it at that price. Getting a low maintenance steady veteran defenceman who can still play a bit of Top-4 if needed...for basically lower-end bottom-pairing money.

Obviously Hamhuis valued the familiarity over money there...i can't imagine he wouldn't have fetched more money somewhere else. But he's always been kind of big on stability and taking care of his family situation. Kinda surprised not to see a NTC of some sort listed for the deal though, considering that. Although you have to imagine Nashville are going to be in the playoff hunt the next 2 years and not really looking to sell off great value depth, so he's gonna be safe enough anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->