Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Nashville sign Dan Hamhuis (2 years-$1,25 million AAV)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not to derail this thread, but I'm curious if it was the other way around. WSH wanted Hamuis but he wasn't interested and then they signed Orpik.
Back in 2016 when Vancouver finally asked him to waive his ntc he didn’t want to go to the east coast even though it was reported that there were teams Interested. Only wanted to go to Dallas or Chicago.

So, no surprise he opted for Nashville bs an eastern team.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Another deft move by Poille. It's only two years, and 1.25 is nothing. The worst that comes from this is Hamhuis really struggles, which looks bad for him.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Defense only wont win you cups, this is still a game where you need to score goals to win games and Nashville doesn't have enough goal scorers. What good will more defense do for them?

The 3rd pairing has been somewhat problematic for the Preds in the last 2 seasons. They haven't necessarily been bad, but they were mostly below average, and they can't step up and play top 4 minutes if needed. Now with Hamhuis, the Preds get a Dman that will stabilize the 3rd pairing, and if someone is hurt or struggling in the top 4, he can probably be paired with Subban or Ellis and not drag them down.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Defense only wont win you cups, this is still a game where you need to score goals to win games and Nashville doesn't have enough goal scorers. What good will more defense do for them?

Might as well not even bother improving the defense for $1.5m. What a waste.

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Price is nice and low but kinda odd to sign a 35 year old for two years.

Gotta have some perspective. It shocked me that he played about 20 minutes per game last season. If he was able to do that at 35 then putting up a serviceable 12-15 minutes in Nashville should make him feel like he’s 25.

Reactions: Cashville

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
Price is nice and low but kinda odd to sign a 35 year old for two years.

Why is it odd? Preds are in a weird spot because Ellis isn't signed after next season and depending on his ask the team may not be able to keep him. Fabbro may be ready for the NHL or he might not be.

He is a good stopgap who can play bottom pair minutes this year. If Ellis walks and Fabbro somehow doesn't pan out at least they have a capable guy there to fill in.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Here is the problem with the stopgap theory. Hamhuis is a LHD Ellis RHD. Let's say for giggles Poile trade Ellis. The pairings become this:

Josi-Subban
Ekholm-Weber
Hamhuis-Irwin

Not a fan. Not at all. At this point of their careers Ekholm is a better LHD than Hamhuis. There are some who will say Ekholm can play RHD. He has done that...as a stopgap. But I think we are paranoid about Ellis not signing because it is July, we are bored shitless and my minds are constantly running without hockey. (Dear God someone start a rollerblade league for pros!)

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think because this is a 2 year deal that the Ellis contract negotiation isn’t going well. If it was one year I’d just say it’s a replacement for Emelin but 2 years makes me think this is a stop gap for Fabbro to finish his senior year if we lose Ellis. Just my opinion. Hope I’m wrong
I think it's more likely that:

a). Solid, reliable vet that is a significant upgrade to our bottom pair
b). Gives Poile the flexibility to explore trades of one of our top 4 D out in front of the expansion draft (I still think it's plausible Josi's renewal is deferred to after the expansion draft to enable all 4 to be kept) while not having to worry about Weber, Irwin or Bitetto having to fill in.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Here is the problem with the stopgap theory. Hamhuis is a LHD Ellis RHD. Let's say for giggles Poile trade Ellis. The pairings become this:

Josi-Subban
Ekholm-Weber
Hamhuis-Irwin

Not a fan. Not at all. At this point of their careers Ekholm is a better LHD than Hamhuis. There are some who will say Ekholm can play RHD. He has done that...as a stopgap. But I think we are paranoid about Ellis not signing because it is July, we are bored ****less and my minds are constantly running without hockey. (Dear God someone start a rollerblade league for pros!)

Yeah, in my opinion, there is no way they would trade Ellis without getting another RHD back (through an Ellis trade or through a separate trade). Not as good as Ellis obviously, but a decent #4-5 RHD.

This year would have been a perfect year to bring in Fabbro though.

Ekholm-Subban
Josi-Ellis
Hamhuis-Fabbro

Wow, that would be scary.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Yeah, in my opinion, there is no way they would trade Ellis without getting another RHD back (through an Ellis trade or through a separate trade). Not as good as Ellis obviously, but a decent #4-5 RHD.

This year would have been a perfect year to bring in Fabbro though.

Ekholm-Subban
Josi-Ellis
Hamhuis-Fabbro

Wow, that would be scary.

You say this would be the perfect year, Fabbro doesn't have to finish all 4 years at BU, he can finish this season, sign with the Preds, and then he can complete classes on-line or during the summer. For Christ sakes, SUBBAN took classes at Harvard this summer!

Reactions: RickP

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
He wants to be remembered a pred instead of a Canuck. I mean who wouldn’t

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad