Proposal: NSH + CBJ

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Turris is hardly an upgrade over Wennberg not to mention we can buyout Wennberg's contract for next to nothing if he doesn't rebound. Why would we take on more money and term for someone who would still be over his head at 2C?

We really don't have any reason to move him unless he's packaged for a true upgrade.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Not a bad proposal but if we were to trade Turris it wouldn't be for another center but an upgrade on LW or a RHD. If we traded Turris I'd rather just add to it and get a legit 2Lw, 2RHD.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Nah we're good, the downgrade isn't enough for the benefit. Poile actually believes that Turris could bounce back as well.

^ What Scoresberg said is a more in-depth look at this case. Although I don't really believe we need more top 6 help than what we already have, feel like our RD side needs a 2D way more.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Turris is hardly an upgrade over Wennberg not to mention we can buyout Wennberg's contract for next to nothing if he doesn't rebound. Why would we take on more money and term for someone who would still be over his head at 2C?

We really don't have any reason to move him unless he's packaged for a true upgrade.

What do you think a trade like that might look like?

I kinda feel like if Wennberg could be packaged for a "true upgrade", it would've happened already

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This idea again.

Preds don't want to do it 'cause there's more confidence there in a Turris bounceback than a Wennberg one, and Jackets don't want to do it because if there's no bounceback it's overwhelmingly easier to get out of the Wennberg contract than the Turris one.

Reactions: Gh24

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't have a lot of personal viewing experience of Wennberg... he seemed to be trending quite well previously. Did he get Tortorella'd or something? Any clues to explain his dropoff, any optimism that he bounces back? Has he played wing at all?

I'm reasonably optimistic that Turris would bounce back to his past 50-pt-ish form as a #2 center next season. With his injuries last year he never really got untracked so it was a writeoff for him. But he's got all the same tools he ever had and doesn't seem to be physically diminished in any way. Our main issue now is that we will not be able to feed him the kind of minutes/linemates/PP time he usually needed to produce the way he used to. It might be an option for us to use him (or Duchene) on the wing and still keep him in the top-6. But if he's used as a center with 3rd line wingers and little PP time, his numbers won't look that great.

Lacking any specific insight on Wennberg, I'd generally be inclined to take this offer and run. A younger, cheaper player. Definitely bonus points if he has done well on the wing in the past. But even without that, he might find chemistry with some of our Swedish contingent and a bit of a more laid-back atmosphere on our team? :dunno:

I still don't think Poile is going to trade Turris, though. He has a lot of work invested in the trade and contract extension, and I think he wants to play out his hand on Turris and find some vindication if he can.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't have a lot of personal viewing experience of Wennberg... he seemed to be trending quite well previously. Did he get Tortorella'd or something? Any clues to explain his dropoff, any optimism that he bounces back? Has he played wing at all?

I'm reasonably optimistic that Turris would bounce back to his past 50-pt-ish form as a #2 center next season. With his injuries last year he never really got untracked so it was a writeoff for him. But he's got all the same tools he ever had and doesn't seem to be physically diminished in any way. Our main issue now is that we will not be able to feed him the kind of minutes/linemates/PP time he usually needed to produce the way he used to. It might be an option for us to use him (or Duchene) on the wing and still keep him in the top-6. But if he's used as a center with 3rd line wingers and little PP time, his numbers won't look that great.

Lacking any specific insight on Wennberg, I'd generally be inclined to take this offer and run. A younger, cheaper player. Definitely bonus points if he has done well on the wing in the past. But even without that, he might find chemistry with some of our Swedish contingent and a bit of a more laid-back atmosphere on our team? :dunno:

I still don't think Poile is going to trade Turris, though. He has a lot of work invested in the trade and contract extension, and I think he wants to play out his hand on Turris and find some vindication if he can.
The problem with Wennberg seems to be a combination of a lack of confidence mixed in with some concussion/drive issues. He still plays excellent in his own zone and even after he was benched he was put right back on one of the top PKs in the league.

In the offensive zone he just doesn't push play or show any signs of aggressiveness. He could be extremely dangerous if he'd just put shoulder down and drive to the net and make something happen. But he refuses to go through the hard areas to make a play. Which is extremely frustrating, especially after you watch what he did in his 60pt season.

He was starting to heat back up again and then this happened and he wasn't right all season last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: NNCbama

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
This idea again.

Preds don't want to do it 'cause there's more confidence there in a Turris bounceback than a Wennberg one, and Jackets don't want to do it because if there's no bounceback it's overwhelmingly easier to get out of the Wennberg contract than the Turris one.
Fully agreed, I do not see why either team does this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad