Proposal: Nsh - Bos

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Craig Smith for Ryan Spooner

Maybe some small adds in between if needed but this as a base.

I'll start by saying I love Spooner, always have. I love his style and skating ability and creativity. He's having a great second half of the season this year but is due for a raise that I don't think Boston is willing to give him. I believe he's still a rfa after this year? Sorry if I'm wrong. Boston is also set for centers and have him playing second/third line wing and PP.

Smith I don't know a ton about but he's a bigger body right handed winger that puts up similar numbers. I think he would be a good fit with Krejic and could slot DeBrusk on the other side to have a right/left combo (which I'm a sucker for!) Smith carries a higher cap hit and is 2 years older but I think Spooner may be getting a similar pay day come this summer.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Nope, Smith has become vital to the Preds scoring and the Preds are overstocked with center as is. We are just fine with Smith and he's inn the realm of untradeable.

Reactions: Tex76

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Nope, Smith has become vital to the Preds scoring and the Preds are overstocked with center as is. We are just fine with Smith and he's inn the realm of untradeable.

I guess with MF coming out of retirement it helps fill a hole. I was under the impression preds were still looking for a center.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I guess with MF coming out of retirement it helps fill a hole. I was under the impression preds were still looking for a center.

Nope. Even without Fisher, we still have Johansen, Turris, Bonino, and Sissons down the middle, and that's with Jarnkork playing wing (Smith is a natural center, too, but he has played wing for basically his entire NHL career).

The thing with Smith is that we know for a fact he has chemistry with Turris and Fiala. Spooner may have that same kind of chemistry if placed on second line wing, but we don't know for sure. Further, we would still be well-served to find another top six/nine winger, so even if Spooner came in and met or exceeded Smith's production we would have the same need (I think that need is relatively minor, for what it's worth).

Last edited:
Reactions: Skelen

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I suspect Fisher will play a lot of wing. The center depth is insane. I also expect some of the centers in Milwaukee (AHL) are on the market.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
At this point I am going to go out on a limb and say Spooner has found where he works best and that is playing RW.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Smith 28 years old 16G 13A $4.25 for 2 more years
Spooner 26 Years old 8G 13A $2.825 RFA next year.

Honest? Are you adding a 1st + for Spooner?

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015

Spooner missed some games due to injury this season. 21 points in 30 games.

If there is an add to spooner then its a small pick

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006

This is a little dishonest considering Smith has played 19 more games. I see no reason for the Preds to do this trade either but Spooner has a better ppg this year.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Can’t speak to Craig smiths game besides limited viewing but spooner has taken a big step forward this year. He’s finally looking comfortable on the wing (which is where he belongs, horrid on face offs and defensive coverage). He’s been playing his off side and has been much more confident and impactful/noticeable game in and game out. He’s always been an effective half wall player on power plays and has done that without issue this season while also being more willing to take a shot when it’s there to be had. He’s always been a great skater. The consistency shift to shift has been the biggest step he’s taken this year. Just a little info on spooner for predators fans as I read a bunch about how they don’t need centers at the start of this thread...he’s officially not a center playing wing as of this year, He’s a wing.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
Craig Smith for Ryan Spooner

Maybe some small adds in between if needed but this as a base.

I'll start by saying I love Spooner, always have. I love his style and skating ability and creativity. He's having a great second half of the season this year but is due for a raise that I don't think Boston is willing to give him. I believe he's still a rfa after this year? Sorry if I'm wrong. Boston is also set for centers and have him playing second/third line wing and PP.

Smith I don't know a ton about but he's a bigger body right handed winger that puts up similar numbers. I think he would be a good fit with Krejic and could slot DeBrusk on the other side to have a right/left combo (which I'm a sucker for!) Smith carries a higher cap hit and is 2 years older but I think Spooner may be getting a similar pay day come this summer.
I understand you love Spooner so much, but GMs do not care what players the fans love so much.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
I understand you love Spooner so much, but GMs do not care what players the fans love so much.

Right because bringing in a big name doesn't help with jersey sales. (Not saying Spoons is a big name)

Regardless, my opening for Spooner was based on me being a Bruins fan and not trying to make Spooner out to be "the bad guy" and the he needs to go. Spooner took a lot of crap trying to make a name for himself in this league thanks to Claude hating him.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
Even without Fisher coming back, Spooner would likely slot in behind Johansen, Turris, and probably Bonino. Smith brings a lot more to the Preds than Spooner does.

camdon

Oct 24, 2008
I'm sure Craig Smiths is a great player. But the Bruins need speed and this isn't an upgrade we'd take right now. Solid no from the Bruins!!

camdon

Oct 24, 2008
I'd go Spooner and a 3nd for Smith and a 1st. Value centers more then wingers!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Seems like this has already been acknowledged as a faulty premise. Or at least, one that is several months outdated.

When the Preds needed a center, they got Turris. Problem solved.

Now, if the Preds have an opening in the lineup, it's for a scoring winger. So... trading a scoring winger away would be... well, let's just politely say it's not an option.

Last summer, when the Preds were questioning the center options and Smith was coming off a rougher season, ok, that might have been a good time to float this idea. But it's past the expiry date now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad