The Star: Nowhere to go but up for low-rent goalie Ben Scrivens

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...re-to-go-but-for-low-rent-goalie-ben-scrivens

When Curtis Joseph had the job, he sometimes got a room at a fancy downtown hotel just to take an afternoon nap in peace. When Ed Belfour had the job, he lived for a time in a Forest Hill mansion with seven bathrooms, a steam room and a sauna.

Now that Ben Scrivens has the job — and we’re referring, of course, to his tenuous appointment as Maple Leafs starting goaltender — you probably assumed he’d be grabbing his pre-game snooze in one of this rich city’s more luxurious spaces.

You’d be wrong. Scrivens currently resides with his wife in a basement apartment in a quiet west-end neighbourhood. His daily grind sees him emerge from his subterranean abode and commute to the rink in a 1998 Chevy pickup truck he bought used on the Internet site Kijiji.

He says neighbours haven’t yet recognized him as one of the city’s most-talked-about residents, perhaps because he often heads off to work in a lumberjack jacket and a black toque.

“I try to keep a low profile,†the 26-year-old Scrivens was saying on Monday. “Everyone thinks I’m going welding or something.â€

“I’m cost-conscious,†is how he puts it. He is also 14 games into his NHL career, which means he should be. His NHL salary is listed at $600,000, but the lockout-shortened season means he’ll only make a little more than half of that if he stays in the league. If he finds himself back in the AHL, he’ll earn a pro-rated take on $105,000 per annum.

So don’t expect a move to the penthouse, let alone a new car.

“I’d rather spend my money going on a vacation seeing the world and travelling and doing experiential things than havingyou guys say, ‘Oh, nice car,’†Scrivens said.

KingBuzzo

A custom title.
Nov 3, 2010
Toronto
That was great. If both him and Reimer can just give us the chance to win every night, we have two really humble guys back there.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nothing wrong with this, good character if anything. He needs a new truck, someone at MLSE just go get the guy a f150 or something!

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I will be renting out my basement apartment soon on the west end of the city and I think that Ben Scrivens would make for an ideal tenant. I will reduce the rent if he plays for my hockey team too.

leafspring*

Nothing wrong with this, good character if anything. He needs a new truck, someone at MLSE just go get the guy a f150 or something!

He drives a chevy pal lol. He'd rather a demotion than drive a ford. 85% of all fords are still on the road though. The rest made it home.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I like how he's portrayed as this young every man living in a basement apartment, but even if he's taking home $300,000 this season, $300,000 is pretty fantastic money for a 27 year old from January to April.

Just saying...

leafspring*

:bb:

He's keepin the low profile because he's been siphoning gas.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I like how he's portrayed as this young every man living in a basement apartment, but even if he's taking home $300,000 this season, $300,000 is pretty fantastic money for a 27 year old from January to April.

Just saying...
No doubt, but the point of the article was to show that he's humble and down to earth, and not concerned with being flashy and spending all his money.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Atta boy Scrivens!

I don't think anyone should care about the car you drive or the house you live in, so long as it is what you want and you do job on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad