Post-Game Talk: Now thats a complete effort. Leafs win 4-0

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I like the idea of signing stastny in the off season. He's similar age to bozak and fits perfectly as a 3rd line centre... quite frankly would be an upgrade. If they can sign him 4 years/5 per that'd be ideal. We don't need to make a big signing like Tavares

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
VGK is made from depth players and cast-offs.
Well you can say castoffs but how many players in total could a team protect?

The worst player on vgk would be what the 12 best player on another team. In hindsight that is pretty good,where your 23rd man would be 12th anywhere else.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
The way I see it is that we can offer Tavares something no other team can - the chance to be a big part of bringing the Stanley cup to his home town, the capital of the hockey world to fans who have been waiting for so long that if it happened, he would be almost a national hero. And we're poised to do so too, with him in the fold the chances of winning a cup are probably as good as they would be anywhere else. I think that could be a childhood dream come true for him and if it is, I think he will come here because you just can't put a price on that. Maybe a little less money but if it's 70M plus a fulfilling a childhood dream and becoming a national hero vs say 80M or 85M, the dream should win easily.

Or he might not want the attention and then he won't come here at any price. That's the way I see it anyway, we won't be involved in any "competition" because we're simply unique and he either wants to be here or he doesn't.
We are the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Yankees and Golden State of Hockey. People want the opportunity to go to a winning team with great management and great core. The question will be do we want Tavares over someone like Doughty? There is only so much cap space for all this talent. Personally, I'd love for it to be Tavares because our defence will be strong in a year or two with a young d-core of Reilly, Dermott, Liljegren, and Gardiner. The depth at centre would be historical.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We are the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Yankees and Golden State of Hockey. People want the opportunity to go to a winning team with great management and great core. The question will be do we want Tavares over someone like Doughty? There is only so much cap space for all this talent. Personally, I'd love for it to be Tavares because our defence will be strong in a year or two with a young d-core of Reilly, Dermott, Liljegren, and Gardiner. The depth at centre would be historical.

There's no guarantee either one of them wants to play here. If and when the day comes that a superstar UFA from Toronto wants to play here and is willing to sign for a reasonable price, I'm sure we will sign him as opposed to waiting/hoping for someone we want more. Classic case of one in the hand vs two in the bush IMO.

I like our D too. Most people seem to think that we'd be much better off with Doughty as opposed to Tavares but I'm not sure it matters that much, either one would be fantastic.

Well that was a fun game to go to.

Yes, I imagine it was. :)

Reactions: Menzinger

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Well, if Tavares does leave there will be 30 other teams vying for his services. Against such a field, even the favorite faces long odds.

Yeah, as I see it we have a #1 and a #2-3 center already, and then there's Nylander. Beyond that, we have a bunch of maybes for use as a #4. We really lack depth for top nine center roles, so I think it would make sense to target a #4C who is actually more of a #3C on most teams.
and theres a lot of places he won't play, and a lot of places that cannot afford him either for compliance issues or internal caps............and he wants to get his name on the cup

i'd say that pretty much makes the Leafs front runners

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I actually think Polak has looked way better the past 20 games anyways, I'd guess having no off-season training and a training camp was pretty hard for an older player.
I'd be surprised if

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Polak

isn't the defense to start the playoffs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Was still trying to figure out that goalie interference call though.
Thankfully it didn't effect the outcome of the game and it was the right call if you want to look at the standard of goalie interference. However at the time I said to myself that was changed to a no goal, where as this goal against the Leafs was allowed to stand.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
our players who matter are probably the youngest group in the league

Probably. Maybe. Don’t know.

Washington has 7 rookies. Boston 9 this year. 48% of active players are under 25 in the league.

Trend is for younger.

Bozak, JVR make up 2 members of the most potent power play in the league. Marleau?

We’ve got some gaps.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Probably. Maybe. Don’t know.

Washington has 7 rookies. Boston 9 this year.

Trend is for younger.

Bozak, JVR make up 2 members of the most potent power play in the league. Marleau?

We’ve got some gaps.
Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Dermott/Rielly is a pretty young core. Bozak/Marleau/Moore/Hainsey aren't going to be important players for long

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad