Now that Washington won a Stanley Cup how do you view them trading Filip Forsberg?

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
If the Caps could go back in time and not do the trade do you think they would? Obviously they lost value but maybe they dont get Oshie if they kept Forsberg and a number of things could have changed. Do u risk and potentially not win a cup or jus keep the trade and keep the cup?

Reactions: Toene

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
this trade doesn't go away just because the caps won a stanley cup. if the oilers win a stanley cup, the hall for larsson trade won't go away whatsoever

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I think a lot of people are in agreement that when Washington traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat it was one of the worst trades of all time. However now that they just won a Stanley Cup will this trade no longer need to be brought up or should it still get mentioned when it comes to all time bad NHL trades?

Sorry man. That trade was just horrible looking back at it. Maybe with Forsberg that cup would have come earlier... who knows. Maybe this would have been a second cup for the Caps.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Capitals problem was never a scoring winger. They had that for many years with Semin. The reason they didn't get by Pittsburgh in the playoffs, and other teams such as Montreal and NY, was lack of center depth. Forsberg wouldn't have provided that, but Kuznetsov did.

It's still a bad trade though.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
As bad as it was, it didn't seem to damage Washington. Although, the Capitals could've used Forsberg. But I think Nashville values him more than Washington ever could.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Forsberg a one-dimensional shooter? Have you even seen the guy play? Forsberg is a very good two-way player and forces alot of turnovers for the opponents. Semin for example was a one-dimensional shooter. Forsberg is not. He also has some pretty sick dekes and puck skills.

If Washington would've kept Forsberg, they probably would've won sooner and be an even better team.

If Semin is one-dimensional then so is Forsberg, because you just described Semin's game comprehensively.

I guess maybe he needed better dekes and puck skills.

Reactions: Hivemind

Walt Comiskey

Feb 26, 2009
Erat came to the Caps at a horrible time. The time between Boudreau and Trotz was a wasteland filled with bad decisions. They weren't high on Forsberg for some reason.

Reactions: Hivemind

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
If Semin is one-dimensional then so is Forsberg, because you just described Semin's game comprehensively.

I guess maybe he needed better dekes and puck skills.
Ok. Here's a scout report on Filip Forsberg from thehockeynews: "Has plenty of offensive acumen, a good release and quick shot. Also displays plenty of two-way ability, speed, sound defensive instincts and the ability to make a major impact on both special teams."

Did you notice how they mentioned he defensively is described as having "plenty" of defensive skills, despite his offensive instincts? Pair that with the eye test. He's very good at creating turnovers all over the ice and that's part of a defensive ability. I don't know how many times I've seen Nashville score a goal because of sound, defensive play from Forsberg to force a counterattack.

I mean sure, he's not that strong, but he is a very good skater, has an intelligent understanding of the game and is very good with his stick. Calling Forsberg one-dimensional is ridiculous, then I don't know what a two-way player is anymore. Is that what you call a defensive forward with not so much offensive skill nowadays?

Sound defensive instincts + speed + skills + a good shot = One-dimensional. Equation does not equate. And before you mention "he didn't play that much on the PK", notice his ice time and how it's a coaching decision to play a star forward in PK situations or not. Some coaches do, some coaches don't, especially if you have other options that are as good defensively, but nowhere near as good offensively.

Last edited:

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
It was a shit trade but who knows how things would've played out. Maybe they win a SC sooner. Maybe they never do because of various factors(like GMGM not leaving or acquiring different players with Forsberg there). Life is short. Shouldn't dwell too much on the past especially when things work out in the end.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
If Forsberg doesn't get traded, the Caps don't go out and get Oshie.

If the Caps don't get multi-tool, gritty, 2-way Stanley Cup hero TJ Oshie, the Caps are stuck with a one-dimensional shooter like Forsberg (a type of player they already have a lot of)....and the Caps don't win the Cup.

BUTTERFLY EFFECT- I saw the Ashton Kutcher movie!

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Worse trade of the cap era still, I think.

Probably stings a bit less now for Caps fans, though.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Still a terrible, god Awful, selfish trade. That said, it was the nail in McPhee's coffin (and in Adam Oates', by extension) which set in motion the hiring of HC Barry Trotz and GM Brian McLellan, the latter of whom drafted, signed or acquired Brooks Orpik, Matt Niskanen, T.J. Oshie, Lars Eller, Michal Kempny, Devante Smith-Pelly, Alex Chiasson, and Jakub Vrana. Those coaches also helped get the careers of Alex Ovechkin, Dmitry Orlov, and Braden Holtby back on track.

If McPhee doesn't make that trade, who knows? Maybe there's an alternate universe where he doesn't get fired that offseason, Forsberg is in Washington, Trotz is coaching some where else, Niskanen and Orpik don't come over with Todd Rierdan that first summer, and the whole complexion of the team is drastically different.

In this universe, however, the trade sucked eggs. Terrible use of assets. Just brutal.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Weird thread. Still a terrible trade. This might be their 2nd Cup had they not traded him. Who knows?

Either way though, they got their Cup and that's all that matters!

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
this is like if the Bruins said they won the Thornton trade because they won a cup lel
even though non of the pieces contributed to that Cup win

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
Ok. Here's a scout report on Filip Forsberg from thehockeynews: "Has plenty of offensive acumen, a good release and quick shot. Also displays plenty of two-way ability, speed, sound defensive instincts and the ability to make a major impact on both special teams."

Did you notice how they mentioned he defensively is described as having "plenty" of defensive skills, despite his offensive instincts? Pair that with the eye test. He's very good at creating turnovers all over the ice and that's part of a defensive ability. I don't know how many times I've seen Nashville score a goal because of sound, defensive play from Forsberg to force a counterattack.

I mean sure, he's not that strong, but he is a very good skater, has an intelligent understanding of the game and is very good with his stick. Calling Forsberg one-dimensional is ridiculous, then I don't know what a two-way player is anymore. Is that what you call a defensive forward with not so much offensive skill nowadays?

Sound defensive instincts + speed + skills + a good shot = One-dimensional. Equation does not equate. And before you mention "he didn't play that much on the PK", notice his ice time and how it's a coaching decision to play a star forward in PK situations or not. Some coaches do, some coaches don't, especially if you have other options that are as good defensively, but nowhere near as good offensively.

I don't think anyone is questioning Forsberg's skill set, that is all accurate, however, it also describes Semin from that time frame to a T. He was one of the Caps better defensive forwards back then, had loads of speed, and arguably one of the best releases in the league.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
this is like if the Bruins said they won the Thornton trade because they won a cup lel
Funny thing is I have seen some Bruins fans mention if they never traded Thornton they wouldn't have had the cap space to originally sign Chara as a UFA and maybe Bergeron doesn't become the player he is today, which means maybe they don't win in 2011.

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010
If the Caps could go back in time and not do the trade do you think they would? Obviously they lost value but maybe they dont get Oshie if they kept Forsberg and a number of things could have changed. Do u risk and potentially not win a cup or jus keep the trade and keep the cup?

This is the proper way to phrase the question. I have thought that before about the Habs. Would I go back in history and change the Chelios trade, knowing that the 93' cup run might never have happened? I know Denis Savard did nothing and, on paper, Chelios would have made them better, but the whole butterfly effect thing would have made everything different. What are the chances that the Canadiens win 2 cups with Chelios if they don't trade him? I'd say pretty slim. So, even if I could go back in history, I make the trade again.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
although i agree with you, there is a part you're missing and that is that bruins changed they dynamic of their team with that trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad