Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
What are your predictions?

European pool:

Finland vs. Germany

Gotta take Finland here. Germany doesn't have much chance.

Sweden vs. Czech Republic

I think the Czechs are doing like the Canadians did at Salt Lake. Start off slow and peak at the right moment. My prediction: 3-2 Czechs win.

North American pool:

Canada vs. Slovakia

Gotta give it to Canada. The score will be closer than their first encounter, but still a victory for Canada.

Russia vs USA

Russians are playing good hockey, and USA seems to be in a bit of turmoil. I'm probably gonna get this one wrong, but I say Russia wins.

lux_interior

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
European pool:

Finland vs. Germany
Finland

Sweden vs. Czech Republic
Sweden

North American pool:

Canada vs. Slovakia
Canada

Russia vs USA
USA in my upset special.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dan Galvin said:
Pulling for the Germans but Finland will win
Czechs I believe will surprise the Swedes.
Canada will have an easy time with Slovakia
And the United States owes the Russians one for last Thurs. game!!

Ditto.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Slovakia 7-1 Canada
USA 5-0 Russia
Czech Republic 13-2 Sweden
Germany 1-0 Finland (6 OT)

Vic Rattlehead*

wilka91 said:
Slovakia 7-1 Canada
USA 5-0 Russia
Czech Republic 13-2 Sweden
Germany 1-0 Finland (6 OT)
sarcasm at it's worst.

rulin

Jan 30, 2004
European pool:

Germany vs. Finland

Czech Republic vs. Sweden - I honestly don't know ... I'll go with a slightly homer pick and say Sweden.

North American pool:

Slovakia vs. Canada

USA vs. Russia

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Canada has a heck of a team. They're my favorite right now.

The only reason I can't put my money on Canada is that since 1996 no team has gone 6-0 in a best-on-best tournament.

Remember :

1996 : Canada wins 5 straight games and gets beaten twice by the US.
1998 : Russia wins 5 straight and gets beaten by the Czechs! Canada wins 4 straight and gets beaten twice (CZE/FIN).
2002 : USA wins 5 straight before getting beaten by Canada in the final. Sweden loses in the quarterfinal against Belarus after a perfect 3-0 in the round robin and a big 5-2 win over Canada!

Odds are against Canada. 5:1

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Zednik20 said:
Finland
Sweden
USA
Canada

Anyone know exactly what the semi-final format is?

[E1 vs E4] winner will face [NA2 vs NA3] winner

[E2 vs E3] winner will face [NA1 vs NA4] winner

Playoff tree :

Canada
Slovakia
]
Sweden
Czech Republic
]
Finland
Germany
]
Russia
USA

:banana:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
My pre-tourney prediction stands: A Canada vs. Finland final.

(By the way, under 2 % of over 75,000 who voted on the pre-tourney poll of who would win the World Cup picked Finland at nhl.com)

So I don't think the other two quarters matter, but, for the heck of it: U.S. and Czechs.

Jazz

wilka91 said:

The only reason I can't put my money on Canada is that since 1996 no team has gone 6-0 in a best-on-best tournament.

Remember :

1998 : Russia wins 5 straight and gets beaten by the Czechs! Canada wins 4 straight and gets beaten twice (CZE/FIN).
2002 : USA wins 5 straight before getting beaten by Canada in the final. Sweden loses in the quarterfinal against Belarus after a perfect 3-0 in the round robin and a big 5-2 win over Canada!

• 1996, Canada did not win 5 in a row, they lost a round-robin game 5-3 to the US in Philadelphia (I remember that game as Joe Sakic's worst ever game in a Canadian jersey - 2 costly turnover leading directly to USA goals).
  • 2002 USA had had a tie vs Russia in the round-robin, but at least they were unbeaten

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I think maybe Germany will win on a shot from centre and put one of the better goalies in the game into an endless shame spiral, until his NHL career ends up in the plumbing, unappreciated by many but still loved by some, traded for a college d-man, and eventually finishing his hockey back Suomessa, where they've somehow gotten over the tragic loss.

If you think about it, it's all pretty likely.

lux_interior

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Seachd said:
I think maybe Germany will win on a shot from centre and put one of the better goalies in the game into an endless shame spiral, until his NHL career ends up in the plumbing, unappreciated by many but still loved by some, traded for a college d-man, and eventually finishing his hockey back Suomessa, where they've somehow gotten over the tragic loss.

That could never happen in a million years. ;)

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
wilka91 said:

Remember :

Oh my gosh, am I imaginating this? wilka91 writing something positive about Team Canada? Have chickens started to grow teeth? Hehe

I really like this Team Canada and it is doing great until now. I'm still very much afraid of other teams though, even the Slovaks. You never know what can happen in sudden death games. A bad bunce can change everything.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
North American Division:

Canada v.s Slovakia - I'll say 4-0 Canada. They are clearly the better team but they may not completely dominate the Slovaks because they might be a little nervous or a little lethargic. I anticipate Canada will win comfortably.

Russia v.s US - I think the US will come out with more passion than they did in Thursdays game. Still, the Russians seem to be the better team. 4-2 Russia.
I'll be curious to see if Brett Hull is in the lineup after his little temper tantrum today.

European Division:

Finland v.s Germany - Finns should handle the Germans easily. Finland wins 5-0.

Sweden v.s Czech - Even though they did not play up to their potential I'm picking the Czechs to upset Sweden 3-2. The difference will be the goaltending. I don't trust Tellquvist nor Salo.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Seachd said:

:lol: That brought a tear to my eye. I don't know if it is from the laughter or the pity.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
I think Germany gets the best opponent for them. They have a chance to play a tight game with Finland because its not top end skill that Finland gets you with- its the relentless forecheck combined with a fine "bothwell weave" they can turn to. Where Germany could not match the prodigious overall skills of the Czechs and Swedes they CAN capitalize on the Finns seemingly lowered intensity level against them. Finland seem to have more jump against the better teams. That said if the German's do not change their PP configuration to an umbrella to get Ehrhoff the one timer from the middle, followed by a crashing of the net, they are doomed. The PP is all left shots and it is awful. They have a shot against the Finns tomorrow.

I am not big on sure things, i do not like to be cocky regarding Canada's chances. That said i can see no scenario short of the Plague that will stop them from defeating Slovakia. They are the furthest thing from a team at this entire tournament and have been a massive disappointment. I cannot overstate how bad they have been.

I like the other two quarters to be tight and i am no prognosicator. Two fine matchups. Hope for quality hockey.

Last edited:

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
I think Germany gets the best opponent for them. They have a chance to play a tight game with Finland because its not top end skill that Finland gets you with- its the relentless forecheck combined with a fine "bothwell weave" they can turn to. Where Germany could not match the prodigious overall skills of the Czechs and Swedes they CAN capitalize on the Finns seemingly lowered intensity level against them. Finland seem to have more jump against the better teams. That said if the German's do not change their PP configuration to an umbrella to get Ehrhoff the one timer from the middle, followed by a crashing of the net, they are doomed. The PP is all left shots and it is awful. They have a shot against the Finns tomorrow.

I am not big on sure things, i do not like to be cocky regarding Canada's chances. That said i can see no scenario short of the Plague that will stop them from defeating Slovakia. They are the furthest thing from a team at this entire tournament and have been a massive disappointment. I cannot overstate how bad they have been.

I like the other two quarters to be tight and i am no prognosicator. Two fine matchups. Hope for quality hockey.
meant to edit that not quote it. :dunno:

SChan*

czechs will win over sweden. 2-1 :cry:

It's too bad because Sweden and Canada are the best offensive teams in this tournament. Sweden leads with 13 goals scored.

Unfortnatly our goalies aren't good enough to beat the czech twice. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->