Now that Crosby is available, why doesn't Canada pick him up??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
HabLover said:
I guess they don't have any spots left, but guys like Bergeron, Vanek, Ovechkin, etc. are there and are only 2 to 3 yrs older than him. It would be no different than at the World Juniors against those guys.

You're missing one HUGE difference. The Worlds are against the top professional players while the WJC is against the top under 20 players. That is completely different. I think it would be a huge mistake playing Crosby against pro level talent at this point. Plus, how do you justify taking a 16 year old kid just finished his 1st season of junior to the Worlds over guys that are playing in the professional ranks. Sorry, but this one makes no sense to me and shouldn't even be considered, which is most likely exactly the case.

KariyaIsGod*

Yeah, you have to remember that Ovechkin is older than Crosby. He is a man, legally in some countries. As for Vanek, he's just native of a country with a talent deficiency so it makes sense to take him. By the time Crosby is 18, if the scheduling fits, they'll take him but at this point, he's too young and he's victim of a country that has too much talent.

Although, I personally feel he could do some real damage on the scoreboard if he was taken.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Kritty said:
You're missing one HUGE difference. The Worlds are against the top professional players while the WJC is against the top under 20 players. That is completely different. I think it would be a huge mistake playing Crosby against pro level talent at this point. Plus, how do you justify taking a 16 year old kid just finished his 1st season of junior to the Worlds over guys that are playing in the professional ranks. Sorry, but this one makes no sense to me and shouldn't even be considered, which is most likely exactly the case.

While the players are,on average. bigger and stronger, the "allowed" amount of "goonery" would be below that of the Q and well below the NHL. So, for Crosby, I don't think it would be a mistake to play. For Canada, he is not proven at that level and since there is no tryout camp it would be unfair to put him ahead of proven NHLer's. If we were a longshot and not a medal contender/defending champions that might be different If he was say 17, 10-15 pounds heavier and more obviously ready to play at that level then it would be reasonable invite him to play.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
The thing is I actually think Crosby could play at the Worlds and not look out of place. It isn't like many of these teams are that physical, I think his skill would hold up. Give him a speedster like Friesen and I think they may actually do something.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
JasonMacIsaac said:
The thing is I actually think Crosby could play at the Worlds and not look out of place. It isn't like many of these teams are that physical, I think his skill would hold up. Give him a speedster like Friesen and I think they may actually do something.

A year from now I think he would look more than just "in place", though hopefully he will be making a Memorial Cup run with Rimouski and not playing in Europe.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
JasonMacIsaac said:
I agree. There's no danger of running into the Philadelphia Flyers or anything like that, so why not? He's playing in a league right now that has around 4 20 year olds (hmmm... 4 20, eh?) each, and he led every single one of them in scoring by a long shot. Give him more ice against less physical opponents, and I bet you he and Ovechkin give us the show of a lifetime. It would be a good ramp up for him also, as the hockey is very fast, and he'd get the experience of reading the faster play and using his skill while physical play is less of a threat. There are no doubt minimum age limits forbidding him, or something of the like, but there should be no doubt that he could play and not look out of place in this kind of tournament. Maybe he couldn't jump into an NHL playoff game, but he could jump into the WCs, IMO.

Mr.Brownov*

Fredrik said:
Saying that Crosby should be on the World Championship team is saying that Crosby is good enough to play in the NHL. Is he?
No.Give him a couple of years.The kid made an impact in the Q.Not the pro ranks.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Fredrik said:
Saying that Crosby should be on the World Championship team is saying that Crosby is good enough to play in the NHL. Is he?
That is a ridiculous question. Of course he is good enough to play in the NHL.
Try to imagine a gm being allowed to have Crosby on his team next year and
the gm saying no thanks.I don't think so.

Fredrik

Apr 22, 2002
Stockholm, Sweden
Visit site
pei fan said:
That is a ridiculous question. Of course he is good enough to play in the NHL.
Try to imagine a gm being allowed to have Crosby on his team next year and
the gm saying no thanks.I don't think so.

What about this season? He's not Gretzky and it's not realistic to believe Crosby could play in the NHL this season. All Canada's forwards play in the NHL.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Fredrik said:
What about this season? He's not Gretzky and it's not realistic to believe Crosby could play in the NHL this season. All Canada's forwards play in the NHL.

At Sid's age Gretzky was just starting his only year of Major Junior. Remember Wayne's big impact at the WJC's? Sid will be that age come July. Nobody said Gretzky could play in the NHL then. Many said he might never be big/strong enough to make an impact in the NHL. Sid is tougher physically than Wayne was at that time (Junior) but probably not ready for an NHL season. When Wayne started in the NHL at about 2 years older than Sid is now (almost exactly) half the players (?) still wore helmets and headshots and highsticks were substantially less. Gretzky also got a lot of respect (read Semenko/McSorely if you must but stars were allowed to be stars).

That being said a few WC games would probably be fine, he would not look out of place but neither would a lot of other uninvited NHL players.

Looks like they could use some offence though. :blush:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Auld Cents 20 said:
Didnt Spezza play in the World Championships after his jr season with Brampton was finished...or was he just playing with the Canadian Olympic team?
Either way, it's a good point. I believe you're right, and even if it was the Olympics rather than WCs, isn't that still directly comparable (international ice, competition, etc)? If Canada had more than enough players to start the tourney, that'd be one thing. As more teams get eliminated, there will be even more NHL talent to choose from. I think it would've been great of Hockey Canada to bring him over at the beginning to maybe play against Austria or some other round robin opponent to see how he does, and keep him there for the experience. It's a small price to pay to develop the future leader of Team Canada IMO.

The Big P

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
True, he wouldn't look that out of place, but will he give Canada a better shot at winning the championship than an NHLer?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
How's he going to play when 210+lb defensemen start targetting him for extra hits to put him off his game. I'd be more worried about a Ruutu hit on him sending him to Disneyland than a lack of ability. The Ruutu's wouldn't back off hitting anyone, Crosby would be an extra tempting target. Are his team mates going to feel obliged to fight anyone that nails just because he a kid and they feel he needs protecting?

Really its not that important a tournament and there is little to gain taking him this year.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
HabLover said:
I guess they don't have any spots left, but guys like Bergeron, Vanek, Ovechkin, etc. are there and are only 2 to 3 yrs older than him. It would be no different than at the World Juniors against those guys.

Just out of curiousity in terms of what has to be one of the lamest attempts at further hype, just which player do you think should be sent home after going to Europe to make room for the phenom?

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I say, don't bring him there. He will play too much hockey for a 16yo player. Heck, one heck of a great junior season, WJC, and amazing playoff performance. He's 16 years old, let the guy take a rest now lol!

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
The Big P said:
True, he wouldn't look that out of place, but will he give Canada a better shot at winning the championship than an NHLer?

I would not have thought so prior to they're 4 games with 3 goals or less.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
me2 said:
How's he going to play when 210+lb defensemen start targetting him for extra hits to put him off his game. I'd be more worried about a Ruutu hit on him sending him to Disneyland than a lack of ability. The Ruutu's wouldn't back off hitting anyone, Crosby would be an extra tempting target. Are his team mates going to feel obliged to fight anyone that nails just because he a kid and they feel he needs protecting?

Really its not that important a tournament and there is little to gain taking him this year.

I agree, except, as an average or closer to marginal player at that level he wouldn't really be targetted.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Kritty said:

blah, blah, blah, same crap as always!!!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Vincent_TheGreat said:
blah, blah, blah, same crap as always!!!

So it's "crap" to favour seasoned NHL talent over developing junior players for an international competition where the goal is to field your best possible team? You were sure singing a different tune in that Ovechkin vs. Bergeron thread. Also, there is the fact that Gretzky is using the WCs as an audition of sorts for the open slots on the World Cup team for Canada. Of course, I'm sure at least some posters here think Crosby should be on that team as well...

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Epsilon said:
So it's "crap" to favour seasoned NHL talent over developing junior players for an international competition where the goal is to field your best possible team? You were sure singing a different tune in that Ovechkin vs. Bergeron thread. Also, there is the fact that Gretzky is using the WCs as an audition of sorts for the open slots on the World Cup team for Canada. Of course, I'm sure at least some posters here think Crosby should be on that team as well...

Nope, 2006 Oympics would be fine with me! :D

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
Nope, 2006 Oympics would be fine with me! :D

Depending on how things go....I actually (I can't believe I am about to say this) think that this is not beyond the realm of possibility.

But talking about the WC on the basis of one season as a 16 year old in Junior hockey is so silly it is really insulting to the guys who are there.

Vinceee

Go Foreurs Go!
Apr 27, 2004
Amos, QC
I didnt think about that, and i think Crosby could play and wouldnt suck at all... but i think Crosby should go step by step and do not jump any, we shouldnt go to fast for him...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->