Now I have seen every thing in hockey! Mario sticking up for a team mate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
#66 said:
Have you watched the games? Mario in game 1 alone hit Chelios into the end boards a number of times. Two of the hits knocking down Chelios and IMO pretty hard hits. I don't think that anyone would classify Lemieux as a rough and tumble type of player but by no means is he a wimp.

This is the EXACT point of this thread...until very recently, many certainly DID classify him as a wimp, especially because of his 6'4" frame...and although he is much better physically this WC than he has in his ENTIRE career, I wished that he didn't lie around on the ice after that skate clipped him in the face last night...I guess somethings are not so easy to change

...which reminds me of something from '93 playoffs that I just remembered during the game. '93 was when Kasparitis entered the league and got noticed...and he did it by laying out Lemieux over and over again and agitating him to Mario's boiling point. There was an occasion last night that led me to believe that if Russia meets Canada again, that Kasparitis vs Lemieux 2 might not be out of the question...

Last edited:

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Dark Metamorphosis said:
how can you doubt what lemieux has done as a hockey player. he was so dominant offensively, does it really matter if he wasn't physical? he's done and won everything imaginable. what more do you expect?

I do not doubt at all what he has done as a hockey player. I am just really surprised to see Mario hitting and even sticking up for others simply because he's never done it in his life before.

To put it into perspective, Wayne Gretzky was probably even less physical than Mario (but Wayne was never dirty!) ...and that was fine too...that was not their game. And I recognize that Mario got criticized even more because he was such a big guy...was it unfair to criticise Mario more than Wayne when neither played physical AT ALL...perhaps Mario's constant complaining could be attributed to some of the criticisms that he received but as I always said, Mario is the most physically gifted player (not neccessarily the best) that has ever lived.

I was and still am very surprised at the hockey that Mario is playing through these WC. Less razzle dazzle and more leadership and even occasional hitting!!!...which leads me to my next point. I've been wondering if Mario's lack of success indicates that he's lost it...it was sad and obvious to me that Wayne was not the same Wayne back when he played in the '96 World Cup, now I'm wondering if this World Cup is where we find out if Mario is also not the same Mario no more!!!

...especially because as much as I have LOVED Chris Chelios since his days in Montreal, it was pretty upsetting and painfully obvious to me that he can't play at this level in an effective role anymore. It was SO painful watching him trying so hard as always yet struggling and always a step behind the play...and ultimately be on the ice for the last three goals against the Americans...ain't it a b!tch getting old!!!

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
David said:
This is the EXACT point of this thread...until very recently, many certainly DID classify him as a wimp, especially because of his 6'4" frame...and although he is much better physically this WC than he has in his ENTIRE career, I wished that he didn't lie around on the ice after that skate clipped him in the face last night...I guess somethings are not so easy to change

...which reminds me of something from '93 playoffs that I just remembered during the game. '93 was when Kasparitis entered the league and got noticed...and he did it by laying out Lemieux over and over again and agitating him to Mario's boiling point. There was an occasion last night that led me to believe that if Russia meets Canada again, that Kasparitis vs Lemieux 2 might not be out of the question...
Isn't that the same year that Kasper did the same thing to Messier and Graves every time the Ilses played the Rangers? Another thing to remember is that through out most of the '90s Lemieux was playing at 70-90%. Sometimes even less. So he's not Cam Neely, Tie Domi is 5'-10" does that mean that he should stop fighting and score more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->