Now I have seen every thing in hockey! Mario sticking up for a team mate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
David said:
But every thing he did prior to the 'c' was purely for selfish reasons...this time, he was sticking up for a team mate! THIS, is what is so amazing to me!

I recall him "rescuing" Rob Brown on a couple occassions....

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
psycho_dad said:
Actually he got the wrong guy. He should have gotten the Canadian defender who pushed Kono into Brodeur instead. Or get Brodeur who pulled Kono back in his lap when he tried to leave. Seemed that Konowalchuk was the only one trying to avoid goalie interference in that play, yet he was the one who got the penalty and fists...

Whatever man. As if he was trying to avoid goalie interference. Your bias is comical.

Konowalchuk even said he gave Brodour a shot, so dont act like he's innocent. He was trying to get the goalie off his game and the goalies teammates responded. Nothing new there. Thats hockey.

CapsCrazyX17

Jun 20, 2003
Washington, DC
clefty said:
Ever notice how Caps fans never mention the other Bobby?

Bobby Carpenter?

No, we always remember the "can't miss kid" because by trading him we were able to get Kelly Miller and Mike Ridley, 2 of our most reliable and fan favorite players in the late 80's/early 90's.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I would have loved to see Konowolchuk vs. Lemieux... because it would have been an ugly, ugly beating on Lemieux.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
David said:
Now I have seen everything in hockey! Mario Lemieux sticking up for a team mate... and this with his fists too!!! (actually they were more like b!tch slappings but...no one accused him of being a fighter.) It even made Gretzky crack a smile!!!

Clearly, Lemieux's bout with the 'c' really changed his character drastically! This sort of unselfishness from someone whose never played a shift of physical hockey in his life prior to the 'c' is just simply incredible! It's like he was a boy prior to, and a grown man afterwards!

From a long time Lemieux detractor, I have to give him his kudos for sticking up for Brodeur and taking on Konowalchuk!

You have obviously not watched a lot of Lemieux! In the early 90's he played quite a few whole games of physical play, and this isn't even close to the first time he has used his fists, its just been awhile!

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:
:shakehead never played a physical shift? you haven't watched enough hockey son.

Son?!? It's very likely that I have underwear OLDER than you!!! And let me just say that I have been involved in and been watching since they used to broadcast it in black and white...son!!!

Aki Fan said:
been watching hockey for about a year I take it? Ask that supposed tough guy Brad Ference about Mario.

See above!

smoothskater said:
This proves that Mario is a good captain.

Yes, he seems to be so far in this tournament. That is the whole reason why I posted this...because aside from being the most physically gifted player in history (this does not mean the best) Mario has not been what you would call a "good" captain for most of his career. Always been selfish! Just ask Grapes who used to complain about the same thing prior to his bout with 'c'...words like 'FLOATER' and 'SOFT' come to mind from those early Coaches Corner.

Chainshot said:
I recall him "rescuing" Rob Brown on a couple occassions....

Well I can recall Christina Aguillera (sp?) "rescuing" Jessica Simpson on a couple of occasions...just because you type it doesn't mean that it really happened...

Vincent_TheGreat said:
You have obviously not watched a lot of Lemieux! In the early 90's he played quite a few whole games of physical play, and this isn't even close to the first time he has used his fists, its just been awhile!

Are you talking about Claude? Because as despicable as he was at times, he did play physical...but to say that Mario played physical is a blatant LIE!!! And as stated before, Mario has bit of a temper so he got into a few fisticuffs (meaning maybe 3 more than Wayne) but once again, they were for purely selfish reasons!!!

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
David said:
Just ask Grapes ...

Right, because Don Cherry is a rock-solid reference and has never shown any bias against french canadians...

I don't need to repeat what's already been said and Mario's career speaks for itself but to say he's been selfish throughout is one of the most Pejorative Slured things I've heard on this board IMO, though I understand you're entitled to thinking that and won't bother arguing about it.

If you've come around to seeing what kind of player he is because of his play this tournament then that's great.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
psycho_dad said:
My bias? Pray tell what bias? I am Finnish you know. And definitely my sympathies lie with Canada when compared to USA. I am just talking about an incident I saw, without any bias. You are the biased one since it was your country playing.

Kono gave Brodeur a shot after Brodeur pulled him back into his lap, yeah I saw that. But that does not change the fact that Kono got pushed into Brodeur (he might have gone there even on his own but we will never know that since he got pushed). Kono tried to get up and leave the crease so there would be no penalties or stoppage in game, and Brodeur pulled him back in his lap. It's a bit hard to ***** about Kono being in Brodeurs lap when he was:

A) Pushed into Brodeur by a Canadian
B) Pulled into Brodeurs lap by Brodeur himself

I'd understand punishing a guy for running a goalie, but this time that did not happen. It MIGHT have happened IF the canadian defenseman would not have pushed him, but then again it might not have. :teach:

Well, that post was also directed to the other people saying that Kono got mugged for doing nothing. He gave the goalie a shot, he got a face wash from Lemieux. No biggie. I guess I was a bit off on the bias comment, but mabye you should put your location by your name.

Your Finnish? Your goalie scares me most of all in the World Cup.

Edit: My reply went before your post??

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Cawz said:
Whatever man. As if he was trying to avoid goalie interference. Your bias is comical.

Konowalchuk even said he gave Brodour a shot, so dont act like he's innocent. He was trying to get the goalie off his game and the goalies teammates responded. Nothing new there. Thats hockey.

My bias? Pray tell what bias? I am Finnish you know. And definitely my sympathies lie with Canada when compared to USA. I am just talking about an incident I saw, without any bias. You are the biased one since it was your country playing.

Kono gave Brodeur a shot after Brodeur pulled him back into his lap, yeah I saw that. But that does not change the fact that Kono got pushed into Brodeur (he might have gone there even on his own but we will never know that since he got pushed). Kono tried to get up and leave the crease so there would be no penalties or stoppage in game, and Brodeur pulled him back in his lap. It's a bit hard to ***** about Kono being in Brodeurs lap when he was:

A) Pushed into Brodeur by a Canadian
B) Pulled into Brodeurs lap by Brodeur himself

I'd understand punishing a guy for running a goalie, but this time that did not happen. It MIGHT have happened IF the canadian defenseman would not have pushed him, but then again it might not have. :teach:

Mountain Dude

David said:
Yes, he seems to be so far in this tournament. That is the whole reason why I posted this...because aside from being the most physically gifted player in history (this does not mean the best) Mario has not been what you would call a "good" captain for most of his career. Always been selfish! Just ask Grapes who used to complain about the same thing prior to his bout with 'c'...words like 'FLOATER' and 'SOFT' come to mind from those early Coaches Corner.

Did you even watch the 02' Olympics? Mario has matured a lot in the last few years, there's a reason Gretz made him the captain 2 years running.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Lemieux has been known to get violent with his stick once in awhile when someone does something to his teammates... in his early days he could give one or two solid hits on the pk as well.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Cawz said:

What a joke! What game were YOU watching? The one on CBC showed Marty CLEARLY yank Kono into the net to hit him! Then Chicken Mario, realizing that Kono isn't about to fight anyone, jumps on him FROM BEHIND! OOOOOHHH! How brave! I like to see him pull that on Chelios! Mario STILL wouldn't be awake! :shakehead

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
jiggs 10 said:
What a joke! What game were YOU watching? The one on CBC showed Marty CLEARLY yank Kono into the net to hit him! Then Chicken Mario, realizing that Kono isn't about to fight anyone, jumps on him FROM BEHIND! OOOOOHHH! How brave! I like to see him pull that on Chelios! Mario STILL wouldn't be awake! :shakehead

I was watching the World Cup game. You know, the one where Kono (the guy involved) admitted he gave Brodeur a shot.

So Kono isn’t going to fight anyone, but he’s tough enough to give the goalie a shot? OOOOOHHH! How brave! A player wont get away with that in any league. And all Lemieux did was give him a face wash. Its not like he jumped him from behind and Bertuzzied him. Get over it.

Konowalchuk took a liberty with the tender and the captain stepped in. Plain and simple. Its what I’d expect my player to do if he got “pushed†into the crease, its what I’d expect my captain to do if an opposing player did the same.

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
Brodeur kept dragging him in his jersey, he got pissed off and gave him a shot. Human reaction.

Even if goalies are "sacred" doesn't mean they should get away with everything.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
CapsCrazyX17 said:
No, we always remember the "can't miss kid" because by trading him we were able to get Kelly Miller and Mike Ridley, 2 of our most reliable and fan favorite players in the late 80's/early 90's.
And he had his ass handed to him by Lemieux

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
jiggs 10 said:
You might want to watch the '92 cup again. Mario hit, passed through, and stick handled around Chelios until his pair was taken off "Lemieux duty". Then Chelios attacked Larry Murphy from behind.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Mountain Dude said:
Did you even watch the 02' Olympics? Mario has matured a lot in the last few years, there's a reason Gretz made him the captain 2 years running.

The REAL leader of Salt Lake City was Motown's 'OTHER' Stevie Wonder...hobbling on one knee and inspiring and leading by example!

Gretz had no choice but to pick Mario as the Captain in 2002 because of his place in history...(imagine the out cry from the public if Wayne Gretzky slighted Mario Lemieux as the captain of team Canada! For those of you old enough to remember what went on in the late '80's, you know what I mean) sort of the way that Wayne wore the 'C' and was not a bad leader but everyone knows that the true leader in that Edmonton Oiler dressing room was the Moose.

Having said that base on Lemieux's performance at Salt Lake, and esp with Stevie Y out, Mario was much more deserving this time around.

Last edited:

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
mattihp said:
Lemieux has been known to get violent with his stick once in awhile when someone does something to his teammates... in .

YUP!!!

That's the Mario that everyone remembers...never physical but sometimes when guys got under his skin, his temper would flair up and let his stick do the talking...

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Ismellofhockey said:
Right, because Don Cherry is a rock-solid reference and has never shown any bias against french canadians...

I would be the first one to agree that Don Cherry can be biased and has been racist at times. However, that still doesn't take away from the fact that he knows a FLOATER and a SOFTIE when he sees one...and if you some of you young'uns ACTUALLY watched any hockey in the late '80's and early '90's, how can you argue with this fact? Mario has always been critized for his soft play especially because of his big 6'4" frame...

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
#66 said:
You might want to watch the '92 cup again. Mario hit, passed through, and stick handled around Chelios until his pair was taken off "Lemieux duty". Then Chelios attacked Larry Murphy from behind.

I wouldn't disagree with any of this statement except for the 'Mario hit' part!

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
David said:
Ismellofhockey said:

I would be the first one to agree that Don Cherry can be biased and has been racist at times. However, that still doesn't take away from the fact that he knows a FLOATER and a SOFTIE when he sees one...and if you some of you young'uns ACTUALLY watched any hockey in the late '80's and early '90's, how can you argue with this fact? Mario has always been critized for his soft play especially because of his big 6'4" frame...
how can you doubt what lemieux has done as a hockey player. he was so dominant offensively, does it really matter if he wasn't physical? he's done and won everything imaginable. what more do you expect?

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Dark Metamorphosis said:
how can you doubt what lemieux has done as a hockey player. he was so dominant offensively, does it really matter if he wasn't physical? he's done and won everything imaginable. what more do you expect?
Not to mention Lemieux has fought through a lot of cheap shots through the years and has played through considerable pain. Lemieux might not be very physical, but he's not soft.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
David said:
I wouldn't disagree with any of this statement except for the 'Mario hit' part!
Have you watched the games? Mario in game 1 alone hit Chelios into the end boards a number of times. Two of the hits knocking down Chelios and IMO pretty hard hits. I don't think that anyone would classify Lemieux as a rough and tumble type of player but by no means is he a wimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->