Now I have seen every thing in hockey! Mario sticking up for a team mate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Now I have seen everything in hockey! Mario Lemieux sticking up for a team mate... and this with his fists too!!! (actually they were more like b!tch slappings but...no one accused him of being a fighter.) It even made Gretzky crack a smile!!!

Clearly, Lemieux's bout with the 'c' really changed his character drastically! This sort of unselfishness from someone whose never played a shift of physical hockey in his life prior to the 'c' is just simply incredible! It's like he was a boy prior to, and a grown man afterwards!

From a long time Lemieux detractor, I have to give him his kudos for sticking up for Brodeur and taking on Konowalchuk!

Last edited:

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
back in the mid-eighties, Lemieux got in a few scraps and did quite well, except one where i think his jaw got busted. He also had a fight during the playoffs against the caps in 96, and finally again in 02-03 with brad ference. If you look around, you can find a video from TSN that cronicles a few of his fights.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
roast said:
back in the mid-eighties, Lemieux got in a few scraps and did quite well, except one where i think his jaw got busted. He also had a fight during the playoffs against the caps in 96, and finally again in 02-03 with brad ference. If you look around, you can find a video from TSN that cronicles a few of his fights.

But every thing he did prior to the 'c' was purely for selfish reasons...this time, he was sticking up for a team mate! THIS, is what is so amazing to me!

BCCHL inactive

burnlikestars said:
I dont think he was sticking up for the guy, it was all for show. He didnt even go after the right man. It was amusing though.

He did get the right guy. Konowalchuk was the man all over Brodeur...Konowalchuk was the man Lemieux went after.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Next time, I'd like to see him go after a guy when something actually happened that deserved it (granted he only saw Brodeur and Konowalchuck in the net..not Martin tugging Steve behind him)....Oh, and for those that are into the whole "honorable fighting" thing.....hitting a guy from behind isn't going to rack up the brownie points ;). Either way, I do like seeing Mario get to play once again. Hopefully he will play a full season, when it starts next year.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I personally don't think it showed too much other than he tried energizing things, which is what a good captain should do. I think his all-round play in the game said more, I saw him bump a few guys on the wall. Perhaps he is trying to play that more complete game that many skilled veterans turn to in their twilight.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
George Harrison said:
I was more impressed with Roenick's subtlety in rooting for USA and him showing virtually no bias.

He's a third wheel commentator, I don't think he needed to be objective. He's a Team USA member, after all.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
George Harrison said:
I like Roenick being there. It took my mind off how much I hate Gary Thorne and how horrid he is.
Gary Thorne was pretty bad tonight. I loved J.R. being in the booth with the guys as well. I liked his honesty in the way the Americans were playing in the first, by saying they looked like college players. Thank god they didn't look like that after the first.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
David said:
But every thing he did prior to the 'c' was purely for selfish reasons...this time, he was sticking up for a team mate! THIS, is what is so amazing to me!

Uh... everyone keeps saying how great of a leader/captain Mario is and how much he's an inspiration for the young players... why does it surprise you so much that he's sticking up for a teammate? Mario is a proud athlete, a winner, a fighter (as in, fighting through adversity)... it shouldn't be a surprise that he did what he did.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
David said:
Now I have seen everything in hockey! Mario Lemieux sticking up for a team mate... and this with his fists too!!! (actually they were more like b!tch slappings but...no one accused him of being a fighter.) It even made Gretzky crack a smile!!!

Clearly, Lemieux's bout with the 'c' really changed his character drastically! This sort of unselfishness from someone whose never played a shift of physical hockey in his life prior to the 'c' is just simply incredible! It's like he was a boy prior to, and a grown man afterwards!

From a long time Lemieux detractor, I have to give him his kudos for sticking up for Brodeur and taking on Konowalchuk!

:shakehead never played a physical shift? you haven't watched enough hockey son.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
roast said:
back in the mid-eighties, Lemieux got in a few scraps and did quite well, except one where i think his jaw got busted.

I dont remember him ever doing "quite well"...and the jaw busting was from Bobby Gould.....who one-punched him....66 had to be helped off in a complete daze.....Mario started it....Gould was a smaller player.....and knocked him out...literally

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Mothra said:
I dont remember him ever doing "quite well"...and the jaw busting was from Bobby Gould.....who one-punched him....66 had to be helped off in a complete daze.....Mario started it....Gould was a smaller player.....and knocked him out...literally

In his other scraps, Mario did well. The Gould fight is his only loss (and a pretty bad one at that).

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Mothra said:
Ever notice how Caps fans never mention the other Bobby?

Bobby Carpenter?

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
David said:

been watching hockey for about a year I take it? Ask that supposed tough guy Brad Ference about Mario.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Van said:
He did get the right guy. Konowalchuk was the man all over Brodeur...Konowalchuk was the man Lemieux went after.

Actually he got the wrong guy. He should have gotten the Canadian defender who pushed Kono into Brodeur instead. Or get Brodeur who pulled Kono back in his lap when he tried to leave. Seemed that Konowalchuk was the only one trying to avoid goalie interference in that play, yet he was the one who got the penalty and fists...

High flyin' Habs*

David said:

This proves that Mario is a good captain.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
roast said:
He also had a fight during the playoffs against the caps in 96,

He got a game misconduct I think in that game. The Penguins won that game in the 4th OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->