Now HERE is something interesting about the Preds ...

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yes, that is one reason why fans in Vancouver should be supporting Nashville's fans.

Maybe I missed something here, but when has Balsillie lied about any of his intentions here? So far as I can tell from the media reports he simply hasn't said anything on the record..?

Lunatik*

Yes, that is one reason why fans in Vancouver should be supporting Nashville's fans.
if fans in vancouver had supported the Grizzlies they wouldnt have left... they don;t always support their own teams why would htey support another cities team?

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
More to the point, why should Vancouver fans have any requirement to support Nashville's team?

Nashville has to support Nashville's team. Empty sympathy from other markets does not support a franchise. The key to saving the Preds is the market it is in. The fans apparently are there. Generate some business support, and the market begins to prove itself.

GSC2k2*

If you are going to sprinkle Latin in your posts as a debate point, I suggest you learn to spell the word correctly.

GHOST
I know very well how to spell my sprinklings of latin. You would think a lawyer would know better. All I can say is "oops".

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
if fans in vancouver had supported the Grizzlies they wouldnt have left... they don;t always support their own teams why would htey support another cities team?

:biglaugh:

Would you care to give us your version of why, exactly, Vancouver was unable to support a basketball team?

I'd be interested to hear your take on the various financial and drafting restrictions imposed upon them, the attendance vs. w/l record, and the overall skill of management in drafting, developing, and producing a desirable and exciting product.

If you wouldn't mind posting the win/loss record of the team before they left, just so the rest of the NHL fans who read these boards can see what bandwaggoners we are, I'd sure appreciate it.

Any other excuse to take a dig at a fanbase you hate will be duly noted, and previous posts will be referenced accordingly.

Calgary Flames Attendance Figures
2003/2004 16.579
2002/2003 16.239
2000/2001 16.623
1999/2000 15.322
1998/1999 16.202
1997/1998 16.855
1996/1997 16.302
1995/1996 18.000
1994/1995 18.810
1993/1994 19.325
1992/1993 19.529
1991/1992 19.719
1990/1991 19.986
1989/1990 19.861
1988/1989 19.458

Last edited:

AA87

Feb 21, 2007
Kitchener,ON
Yes but if he was lying then couldn't Jim just come out a say "I never said that"? Instead Jimbo is in hiding and refusing to comment on anything.

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Yes but if he was lying then couldn't Jim just come out a say "I never said that"? Instead Jimbo is in hiding and refusing to comment on anything.

first of all, He doesn't own the the team yet

Secondly, he doesn't Owe anyone anything, if he buys the team, it's his team, once conditions are met, and if feels he needs to move the team he will.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Indeed Timmy. Lunatik would have been wiser to comment on Vancouver's historical lack of support for the Canucks, as opposed to the Grizzlies. The 1980s were particularly bad, and god only knows what would have happened with the Canucks had they not made the playoffs at the beginning of this century, creating a legion of "life long fans since 2000."

You know what they say about those living in glass houses. ;)

Wetcoaster

Why???

Heisley bought the team and thought he could do better than staying in Vancouver. His team, his money.

Wetcoaster

Indeed Timmy. Lunatik would have been wiser to comment on Vancouver's historical lack of support for the Canucks, as opposed to the Grizzlies. The 1980s were particularly bad, and god only knows what would have happened with the Canucks had they not made the playoffs at the beginning of this century, creating a legion of "life long fans since 2000."

You know what they say about those living in glass houses. ;)
Actually given how abysmal the Canucks have been throughout much of their "storied" history, the amazing thing is that attendance was as high as it was.

However unlike another team in Canada (not mentioning any names but a teachers' pension fund is a major shareholder), when the product was so abysmally bad and mangement was even worse, the Vancouver fans voted with their wallets and the team had to get better to bring the fans back.

GSC2k2*

It's true Jim has never told us that he has any intention of moving the team and why would he? Does anyone honestly expect this man to tell the media he's planning on moving a team he doesn't even officially own yet?

As for the not wanting to move part....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Balsillie approached the city late last week through Toronto lawyer Richard Rodier. That led to a flurry of behind-the-scenes discussions, including a telephone call between Mayor Fred Eisenberger and Balsillie.

"He has assured me that he wants to secure a team and he is interested in bringing it to Hamilton," Eisenberger said Wednesday night.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I can think of 1000 reasons why Jim would lie to us, but why on earth would the mayor of Hamilton blow smoke up our ass?
It would not so much be the mayor blowing smoke as it might be other parties. If you listen to Eisenberger and Whitehead's interviews on the FAN590 over the last few days (on their website), they are VERY muted in their attitude to all this. They are taking a "wait and see" approach, as opposed to most everyone on this Board. Eisenberger in his interviews on the FAN definitely stepped back from the characterization in the news report that you have quoted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad