November 8, 1978. Bobby Orr announces retirement.

Kitty Hawk

"None of that stinkin' root beer!"
Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
Chicagoland, Illinois, USA
Chicago Tribune, 11/8/1978
upload_2018-11-9_16-59-26.png

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Fav player, heard so much about him not being available for the 72 Summit series as a kid listening to the Old Man and his cronies, became my favourite player as I watched hockey the next season.

Has a Bruin sweater that I would wear to the first practice every year, as we would wear team sweaters after, were not jerseys back then. Got a Chigaco one when Orr left, Mom snagged it at Zellers more then likely, rubber cheap crest sewed on barely, always liked the Hawks colors.

Went to the Bobby Orr museum last spring, and if you are a fan of hockey from that time period, I would recommend going. 3 hr drive for me but I like a nice drive up North especially if Hockey is involved.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Went to the Bobby Orr museum last spring, and if you are a fan of hockey from that time period, I would recommend going. 3 hr drive for me but I like a nice drive up North especially if Hockey is involved.
Nice, I've heard it's good. Someday I'll go... (Parry Sound is directly across the bay from where I was born, but because it's directly across it seems rather far!)

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Bobby's limited stats his last few years are pretty amazing considering he was virtually skating on one leg by then. In 1975/76, when he was still with Boston, he played only 10 games but scored 18 points! I have to assume this was before the final operation and that he was out for the rest of the year after that, though? However the next year with the Hawks he played only 20 games but still had 23 points, and was FIRST on the team in plus/minus with a +6. (the Hawks were pretty terrible at that point) His final year he played only 6 games but still had 4 points and was a +2.

Bobby was still only 27 in his last season with Boston (the 10 games/18 points) and was just at what SHOULD have been his physical peak as a defenseman. There's no question in my mind that had he been 100% physically for an entire career, he had at least several more 100+ point seasons in him, and might have even broke his single total in at least one of them? I don't think he would have slowed down much for another 5 years or so, and after that, he still would have been very productive based on the fact of what he did in Chicago in MUCH worse shape than he ever would have been in near the end of a career from just naturally aging?

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Possibly remains a Bruin if he could have been healthy enough to play full seasons, might have cut into the Canadiens Dynasty with at least one Cup I would think.

What would his career look like if he was free skating for another 10 yrs? I still wonder how the 72 Summit Series would play out if he was able to play. The Soviets would still have been a surprise to us and won games but it wouldn't have gone down to the final seconds of game 8 if he was able to play.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Nice, I've heard it's good. Someday I'll go... (Parry Sound is directly across the bay from where I was born, but because it's directly across it seems rather far!)

Oh? You a Georgian Bay Boy as well Panther?.... Talking Midland, Collingwood, Owen Sound, Penetang?.... "Directly across" would be like Tobermory and ya, Hell of a swim... or you thinkin of tryin to skate over?... I'd advise against trying that on Son... Besides, Bobby left town decades ago.... Wont be there should you actually somehow survive the journey.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Oh? You a Georgian Bay Boy as well Panther?.... Talking Midland, Collingwood, Owen Sound, Penetang?.... "Directly across" would be like Tobermory
Lion's Head, to be specific. Less than 500 people, I think.
Bobby left town decades ago.... Wont be there should you actually somehow survive the journey.
Really? Where does Orr live these days?

Reactions: Killion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad