November 1st, 2013. Did that change everything?

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Were the Canucks playing that night?
Sedin extension

And to answer, probably had an effect on trying to continue to compete. The real issue was the whole 13-14 season then the 14-15 rebound, gave Aqua too much hope. Sedins being around probably also pushed him, but I'm sure they would have embraced a rebuild and hoped to be competing for a Cup in the last seasons of their careers again. They may have stuck around playing for a bit longer too

Reactions: Jack Burton

lawrence

May 19, 2012
not signing Ehrhoff changed a lot, since the Sedins were due for a few more 85 point seasons if we kept him around.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
not signing Ehrhoff changed a lot, since the Sedins were due for a few more 85 point seasons if we kept him around.

I agree that a player of Ehrhoffs type was desperately needed on that team.
However the contract Buffalo gave him, 4m x 1... I would want nothing to do with that contract and do not blame our management at all for walking away from.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
However the contract Buffalo gave him, 4m x 1... I would want nothing to do with that contract and do not blame our management at all for walking away from.

Not sure what he happened as I recall he was traded to the islanders, and they offered him 5.75 at 7 years or something, and hoffer didn’t want to play for a dead beat team at the time and settles with 4x10 with the buffalo sabres, although not as good as the Canucks still a decent team far superior then the isles.

4x10 is dumb too but I do think he deserves more then any other dman on our team.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Personal pet peeve: when people are purposely obtuse in order to put other people at a disadvantage. How hard would it have been to simply say "The day the Sedins were extended in 2013"? Don't play games. Say what you mean, and mean what you say.
It’s jack we’re talking about. Did you expect anything better?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Not sure what he happened as I recall he was traded to the islanders, and they offered him 5.75 at 7 years or something, and hoffer didn’t want to play for a dead beat team at the time and settles with 4x10 with the buffalo sabres, although not as good as the Canucks still a decent team far superior then the isles.

4x10 is dumb too but I do think he deserves more then any other dman on our team.

The contract Buffalo gave him came far after negotiations had broken down with us and we’d traded his rights away, and was not what he was asking for here.

Published reports indicated he wanted a totally reasonable 5 years/$26 million here, but the team had a ‘Bieksa cap’ of $4.6 million they wouldn’t move off of. So we let him go over about $500k.

But then kept Ballard at $4.5 million at a point where we could have moved him still, because Ballard had a great exit interview after that season that convinced Gillis he could turn it around.

Essentially choosing Ballard over Ehrhoff at that point for a $500-$700k difference was Gillis’ biggest personnel blunder as GM.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Mom says we only have enough money to see one of Ghostbusters or Gremlins.

Well, I mean if it can be only one....

Ghostbusters for sure.

As for the Ops date? Nope. The first Luongo trade changed everything. The Linden trade changed everything. The Neely trade changed everything. The Sedins were going no where, all you might be able to say is it pushed back a rebuild for a half decade. We were still werent going to tank with out them, and we didn't soar to unbridled success with the signings.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Re: Sedin extension

Remember who the family are.

Old school Italians.

And what do old school Italians respect above else?

Loyalty.

And the Sedins have played the role of the loyal foot soldiers / captains from beginning to end.

Which probably/most likely meant that the Sedins extension was really just a formality and Gillis had nothing to do with it.

So.... it changed nothing.

The 2011 cup run meant that the Sedins were destined to be FAQ's employees until their retirement.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Re: Sedin extension

Remember who the family are.

Old school Italians.

And what do old school Italians respect above else?

Loyalty.

And the Sedins have played the role of the loyal foot soldiers / captains from beginning to end.

Which probably/most likely meant that the Sedins extension was really just a formality and Gillis had nothing to do with it.

So.... it changed nothing.

The 2011 cup run meant that the Sedins were destined to be FAQ's employees until their retirement.

I'm not sure about the bolded. Gillis seems to have loved the Sedins and felt like they represented everything he wanted the Canucks to represent. While there is the Gillis that let Naslund leave, there's also the Gillis that went after Sundin. What the Sedins represented at the time of their last contract can't be any less than what Sundin represented to Gillis at the time.

Back on topic. Sedins' extension changed nothing. Even if the team was going full rebuild you want to have players and leaders like the Sedins.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad