GDT: Note @ Oranges

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
was I the only one that didn't like Bortuzzo? Other than the borderline cheap shot he wasn't any more physical than Cole and his positioning and defensive play was on par with Butler. Not that I had high expectations in the first place...
He will be far more physical than Ian Cole.

On another note, one of Oshie's quotes today finally made it seem like the Blues have figured out that the regular season isn't all that important. It was a breath of fresh air to read. I believe the Blues have just learned to not waste all their energy on games like these, which is fine with me.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Sobi's motor never quit. lots of times it wasn't enough but sometimes, it made a difference. I'm not crying or waxing nostalgic but you can be as hyperbolic as you'd like. it's all opinion after all.

Sobi's motor never quit, but he rarely scored too.

Team lost plenty of games this forum dubbed "should have won" with Sobi in the line up is my entire point.

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
Sobi's motor never quit, but he rarely scored too.

Team lost plenty of games this forum dubbed "should have won" with Sobi in the line up is my entire point.

absolutely but Sobi's role wasn't scoring. when he did, it was a bonus. I agree that the team lost plenty of games they should have won. I don't like the phrase "should have won". any team can beat anyone else every night.

Tonight this team played for 20 minutes after a nice few days off. At the start of the season, I stated that Hitch was the problem and I am sticking to that.

Also, Army should really look into upgrading Backes. How does he do that, I have no clue. Backes just doesn't have what it takes when the chips are down to power this team to a victory and the teams captain needs to be able to do that, imo.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
Missed the game because of migraine :(
So we kinda played for the first two periods and then just stopped?

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Missed the game because of migraine :(
So we kinda played for the first two periods and then just stopped?

they played an OK road game for periods 1 and 2, then decided to pack it in for period 3.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
was I the only one that didn't like Bortuzzo? Other than the borderline cheap shot he wasn't any more physical than Cole and his positioning and defensive play was on par with Butler. Not that I had high expectations in the first place...

He did step into his players unlike any other Blues player does, which Hitch prefers them to back into the crease with the goalie. While it does take a player out of the play, it also takes him out of the play as well. Seemed like it sparked Lindbohm to do the same as he stepped up his physical game too.

I think I'm more disappointed in the total disappearance of Petro in the 3rd period. He totally screwed up the the one goal and didn't even put a stick on Simmonds in the crease. He basically got run over all period and went into Bill Houlder mode again. I made a point several times last year about Oshie not covering his point man. He's been much better this year, but a Del Zotto doesn't need that kind of time and space. He will hurt you.

...and no Simmonds would destroy Backes. Backes needs to keep his gloves on and just run people. He's better served in that capacity.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
David Backes interview with Andy Strickland Pt 1.

David Backes interview with Andy Strickland Pt 2.

I didn't know that Backes improved his skating in Finland. I thought it was time when he was in States. These Andy Strickland interviews are pure gold. I wish he would do those more often. Only 2 players have sit down with Andy.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Bortuzzo was okay aside from the hack at Schenn after the whistle. That **** can't happen when you're down one with seven minutes to go.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Bortuzzo was okay aside from the hack at Schenn after the whistle. That **** can't happen when you're down one with seven minutes to go.

If you can get away with it, then it's more than fine, just like the Keith slashes in the playoffs. As long as he can skate and make decent decisions with the puck, then I'm fine with him.

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
I wouldn't be surprised if all these teams are being... (coached is probably too strong a word)... suggested... to take it a bit easier to avoid getting injured before the playoffs. Especially St. Louis after we were so banged up going into the playoffs last year. That being said, Nashville might be taking it a bit too literally.

Not sure if the Blues are sandbagging or what, but since the Conference lead is within reach, it seems to me they should be trying hard to get it. Wouldn't it be better to watch a 2nd and 3rd place Nashville and Chicago hammer on each other in the first round, guaranteeing we would never have to face one of them?

Our offense was non-existent in the 3rd against the Flyers, other than a couple desperation chances late. I'm just not sure how coasting through a 3rd period with a 1-0 lead helps the team do better in the playoffs.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if all these teams are being... (coached is probably too strong a word)... suggested... to take it a bit easier to avoid getting injured before the playoffs. Especially St. Louis after we were so banged up going into the playoffs last year. That being said, Nashville might be taking it a bit too literally.

Not sure if the Blues are sandbagging or what, but since the Conference lead is within reach, it seems to me they should be trying hard to get it. Wouldn't it be better to watch a 2nd and 3rd place Nashville and Chicago hammer on each other in the first round, guaranteeing we would never have to face one of them?

Our offense was non-existent in the 3rd against the Flyers, other than a couple desperation chances late. I'm just not sure how coasting through a 3rd period with a 1-0 lead helps the team do better in the playoffs.

I think it might be more of the outlook of the players; not being worried about losing these games, not being overly concerned where we finish in the standings. That's not to say they are knowingly switching off or not trying to win, but of there is less pressure on the result these things naturally happen. Is that the situation? Who knows.

Should we be focused on finishing as high in the standings as possible? There will be different opinions, but that pressure hasn't helped us in recent years. I'd rather the team were more relaxed and didn't really care about home ice or who they will face.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
If you can get away with it, then it's more than fine, just like the Keith slashes in the playoffs. As long as he can skate and make decent decisions with the puck, then I'm fine with him.

But you don't get away with it often. It's different than the shoving and slashes in front of the net after the whistle. They're a bit more lenient there, so by all means mix it up a bit to keep guys away from your goalie. This was just a slash near the blue line for no reason. They might let it slide in the playoffs, but I wouldn't take the chance down one with seven minutes left. There are better times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad