Notable games you've attended live?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The massacre in Montreal last year where the Habs absolutely destroyed the Avs 10-1. Think it was 5-0 in the first 5 minutes.

The worst part, I'm an Avs fan. I travelled across the country with some friends and family (all Habs fans) to watch one hockey game and that was it.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Nothing really spectacular for me but I went to a preseason game where Krys Barch got into 3 fights with another islanders player, can't remember who though

ShotDownInFlames

May 16, 2015
ALBERTA
When Theo Fleury broke Al Mccinnis record for most points as a flame. Scored on Guy Hebert and skated over to the flames bench and jumped in and hugged everybody.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
- 1996 World Cup of Hockey, Game 3 of Final
- 1999 Memorial Cup Final
- 2003 Eastern Conf. Championship, Game 7 (Jeff Friesen goal)
- the game where Lindros rearranged Andreas Dackell's face (Sens fans remember this one)
- Gretzky's last NHL game in Canada

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I guess the most "notable" game I have ever attended live was the streak game last year. New Years Eve, Wild and CBJ both on 12+ game winning streaks. The crowd was PUMPED. Unfortunately the Wild game out on the wrong end of it, but it was still fun.

For NHL, at least. College hockey, I've been to quite a few more notable games.

saxonmiller

May 26, 2017
Winnipeg
Haven't been to a whole lot of NHL games as the Jets only returned a few years ago. My girlfriend's family has season tickets in the 2nd row so I have been able to snag a few.

Notable games include:
- First hat-trick by a Jet in the MTS Centre (Bryan Little)
- Legendary fight between Trouba and Sam Bennett

I also saw the Moose battle the Hershey Bears for the Calder Cup back in 2009. The building was packed to the brim and was loud as ever. Great atmosphere even before the Jets returned.

As for rinks, I've only been to MTS and Barclay's Center. Saw the Isles and Bruins when I was in NYC for school a year or so back.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
A couple that come to mind:
-Brodeur jersey retirement
-Prudential Center opening night
-Cam Janssen's first career goal
-Feb 5 2010: Devils down 3-1 with 3 mins to go. They score 3 goals to beat the Leafs 4-3; Also Kovalchuk's debut as a Devil
-2012 ECSF Game 4: Devils went up 3-1 over the Flyers
-2009 ECQF Game 5: Brodeur 44 save shutout

Arenas:
-Prudential Center
-Continental Airlines Arena
-Wells Fargo Center
-Madison Square Garden
-Verizon Center
-American Airlines Arena

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
My dad was at Lemieux's five goals scored five different ways game
I've gone to both the Penguins OT series winning games the last two years.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Game 2, 2009 WCF vs the Hawks, Samuelsson OT Winner.

Was in town for a Funeral, was offered a couple tickets to the game, and had to hit the road the following morning. Fun times!

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I was in Maple Leaf Gardens for Dougie's wrap around Game 1 double OT goal
Vs St Louis. I'll never forget leaving the game and a line of mounted police standing directly in front of the arena. We turned right and went right down into the subway. People were dancing on street cars and the streets were bedlam.

Was at the last game ever at Maple Leaf Gardens.

The winter classic at the big house

It's funny because the three biggest games I've been at have been Leafs games. I'm a Habs fan and never even been to Montreal.

Arenas....

Maple Leaf Gardens
ACC
Marine Midland arena
Madhouse on Madison
Scotiabank centre
joe Louis
Amalie arena

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not many but

Ducks throwback classic vs Ottawa where they set the single game club record for SOG (I think it was like 57 shots)

Selanne's number retirement in Anaheim. Emotional moment and a hell of a game against Winnipeg. Vatanen sealed the win away in the shootout.

Ducks vs Kings Stadium Series game. I had a dreadful sight line from my seat (my cousin had bought the tickets after after I already bought my own with a better view so I had to sell mine to sit with him and his friends) but it was still an amazing experience and the Ducks being the 3-0 shutout spoilers in LA's stadium was all the sweeter.

First NHL "game" played at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Stars vs Kings

The Kings hosted the Stars at the T-Mobile for a preseason game making it the first pro level game played in the arena (I think UNLV hockey got to christen the arena with the first hockey via a team scrimmage). It was evident both teams didn't field the best players possible and the ice was pretty bad but it was great energetic action. And while I dislike both teams I was glad to see the Kings lose. Just to give a pseudo plug for the T-Mobile Arena, it is a fantastic facility with great sight lines and a wide concourse. If you're on the fence about ever going to Vegas to catch a game, it's worth going at least once.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I was at the game this year when the leafs clinched their playoff birth against Pittsburgh. It was easily the most exciting game i have been to. Leafs tie it late then take the lead a couple minutes later. Brown Scores his 20th and Matthews his 40th.

Also when Phil scored the first goal of the game the boo's were insanely loud, and the jumbo tron goes to Phil's face and he cant help but laugh.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Went to the first two Oilers playoff games this season. First time in over 10 years, tough tickets to find and cost two arms and two legs ... but so so worth it.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
- First win in Consol Energy Center. (October 15, 2010 vs. NYI)

- First Playoff game & Win in CEC. ( April 13, 2011 vs. TBL)

- First World Cup of Hockey exhibition in Pittsburgh.
-(CAN vs. Team NA & Team Czhech vs. Russia)

-Bryan Rust first Goal & Brian Dumoulin first goal. (TBL)
-Bryan Rust first HT (Ottawa)

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Crosby 1000th point.

5 arenas (7 counting old Pens and Bruins barns)

Pittsburgh
Boston
MSG
Lightning
Toronto

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Not too many notable games, but a few notable plays.

Sid's debut & Mario's final game are about as far as it goes for notable games (which will happen when 90% of the games you go to come during the dark ages and then move across the country when the team actually gets good). Notable plays...numerous Mario highlight reels (particularly fond of the time he scored on a faceoff), Geno's first goal, many of Sid's early milestones/highlights. Nothing too ridiculous though, I've still never been to an NHL playoff game in person, and short of a Pens-Kings/Ducks final I can't imagine that changes anytime soon.

As for arenas...6 in 5 cities.
Pittsburgh x2
Calgary
Edmonton
Anaheim
Los Angeles

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
McDavid's debut
McDavid's first 5 point night (could have been first hattrick but Eberle stole the ENG)

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Callahan, Boyle, and Stralman's first game back at MSG as Lightning

Brady Skjei's first NHL goal

Oh and Nazem Kadri's first career hat trick, at Nassau Coliseum against the Islanders.

Last edited:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I was at Matthews NHL debut. One of the best nights of my life. I have one of the warmup pucks in a display case.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Like most of the regulars on the Preds board, i've been to nearly every "first" for the Predators and most all of the "Big" games. Though I didn't attend any of the playoff run this past season for several reasons.

I've been to these NHL Arenas:
Bridgestone Arena in Nashville for the Predators
Amalie Arena in Tampa for the Lightning
Verizon Center in D.C. for the Capitals
The Spectrum in Philadelphia for the Flyers and the Philadelphia Bulldogs of RHI

And for minor league:
Municipal Auditorium in Nashville for the Nashville Knights
DeSoto Civic Center in Memphis (Southhaven Mississippi actually) for the Memphis Riverkings
Penasacola Bay Center in Pensacola, Florida for the Penascola Ice Pilots

And this fall I'll be kicking off a North American arena tour with my sister in which we'll be visiting at least 2 arenas in the U.S. and Canada each season. We'll be blogging the experience and i'll definitely share it with HF as we go.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Brodeur's 552 game
The night the lights went out at the Prudential Center
Kovalchuk's first game as a Devil with the epic comeback
The game where Kovalchuk scored his first goal as a Devil and everyone was so relieved that they treated it like a hat-trick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad