Not your typical goaltending thread

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
We all know about the struggles the position has dealt with in the past, and certainly this year hasn't changed that perception, but a couple quotes that have come out recently really makes me question whether this could really just be a "fluke" bad year for the duo we have.

Darling talked about his struggles a few days ago, but the one quote that stood out to me was this one:

How has your relationship with a veteran like Cam Ward helped you this season?

“Oh, it’s helped me a lot. He’s a world class guy and a world class goalie. He’s talked me off the ledge a few times. He’s been through the ups and downs, he’s been doing this a long time with this team. He’s seen the dark days, he’s seen the good days. He helps me keep an even keel and keeps motivating me to keep working hard. Everything’s going to turn around. I know I’m a good goalie. I have confidence in myself. Sometimes it rains, but the sun is going to come out eventually.”

Scott Darling on his on-ice struggles, leaving Chicago, new ownership (PHT Q&A

And in the recap for tonight's game, Ward's shutout was discussed:

"I've always had confidence in him ever since I came here a few years ago. He's a world-class goaltender," Pesce said. "He really plays the puck well, which is huge for the D-men especially. He's fun to be around. He's a great veteran."

"I'm having fun with it," Ward said. "Mike Bales has been real good for me. Scott Darling has been great for me. We're supporting one another and trying to help this team win."

Recap: Ward, Hurricanes Blank Habs

Now it might just be talk, but I love hearing stuff like this. Ward's "having fun with it," he trusts the goaltending coach and both the defense and his goaltending partner are putting their trust in him as a "world-class goaltender."

Those quotes don't come from a team that seems worried about their goaltending. Even Darling, as rough of a season as he's had, seems confident that he can turn it around.

Maybe I'm just drinking the Kool-Aid though.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
"
What’s the biggest change so far?
“The big changes are on their way. Right now, just getting more food, healthier food,just little stuff like that. We’re not worried about ordering new equipment. (Thomas Dundon) is doing it right and we’re really excited to have him.”

Wow, I didn't know that the food and hockey equipments costs so much in US that you need a new rich owner for NHL team to provide enough good food and get all stuff you need for playing. :sarcasm:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
It's nice to know everybody likes everybody. It's obviously better than a toxic environment. But at the end of the day, it's all talk. I'm glad they're all saying the right things, and seemingly helping each other out during a tough time, but none of that gets us any points. Darling has to find a way to make saves. If he does, he'll be fine. If he doesn't, he'll be out of a job.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Frankly, I think Darling has about 3 or 4 more starts to show he can get back in the groove. Otherwise, I think the team should be looking to get Ward a backup for the rest of the season if we are still in the hunt at the deadline. Tripp is a great guy, but I don't want him in net and the same goes for Darling if he can't do the job he's getting paid to do. Sucks, but it is team first, guy I like second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad