Not sure where to post this (contracts)

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Feel free to rename or move.

these last couple of months is driving me crazy with all the complaining of NHL teams paying to much money signing players these days.

Vancouver fan thinks Garrison is too much money. I think guys were crying about Filpula last year. Callahan's contract is out of line, to pay Toews and kane more than 10 million and be higher than the Great Crosby is just insane (on and on and on).

I'm pretty sure if someone checked a name player 2 years ago or 5 years ago or whenever with what percentage of their signing was in comparison to that years salary cap against today's players percentage. I'm pretty sure things would not be that far out of whack.

Since 2006 I believe the cap went up 30 million. that means salaries should almost double.

I don't know if someone is up to that task but it would be interesting.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I looked up the cap after the lockout was ~38 million - so there's a 31 million difference (probably ~80% increase). HF is stupid as **** though, so they don't really understand that the economy of the NHL has changed.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
You have to remember when you're discussing things here is that the overwhelming majority of a sports team's fans don't sign up to discuss them or their league's mechanics on a message board.

We are the nerdy, emotionally-invested few that pour that extra bit of effort into understanding and discussing our favorite or most-hated teams. Don't be surprised when someone who is this invested takes the "tribe mentality" and tries to devalue outgoing players or opposing teams' contracts to satisfy their own cognitive dissonance about their team.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stamverine makes a good point. HF board members are a small fraction of the total fan base. If you went to a game and told some of those fans what was being said here people would be shaking their heads with some of these things.

As per people complaining about these contracts, they make it sound like it's their money being spent. lol. As long as there is enough cap space to make moves and whatnot , then who cares.

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
Stamverine makes a good point. HF board members are a small fraction of the total fan base. If you went to a game and told some of those fans what was being said here people would be shaking their heads with some of these things.

As per people complaining about these contracts, they make it sound like it's their money being spent. lol. As long as there is enough cap space to make moves and whatnot , then who cares.

It has actually been from watching your escapades with a select few of the Ranger fans on this board that brought the phenomenon to my attention. Recently, a Ranger fan was ridiculing you and (in my opinion) oversimplifying the reason that you decided to change your handle and (presumably) your NHL allegiance. He said something along the lines of, "Nothing could ever take me away from the Rangers..." and went on to ridicule (Or at the very least implied it) your decision(s).

What I've taken away from what you've said (about the Rangers, their prospect development, Callahan in particular) is that, overall, you came to dislike the culture of the New York Rangers as an organization as well as the vocal minority(?) of the Rangers fan base. You made a series of rational judgments that led you here to our doorstep.

What that poster described is a very tribal mindset--a wet dream for politicians, users, and the inept.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It has actually been from watching your escapades with a select few of the Ranger fans on this board that brought the phenomenon to my attention. Recently, a Ranger fan was ridiculing you and (in my opinion) oversimplifying the reason that you decided to change your handle and (presumably) your NHL allegiance. He said something along the lines of, "Nothing could ever take me away from the Rangers..." and went on to ridicule (Or at the very least implied it) your decision(s).

What I've taken away from what you've said (about the Rangers, their prospect development, Callahan in particular) is that, overall, you came to dislike the culture of the New York Rangers as an organization as well as the vocal minority(?) of the Rangers fan base. You made a series of rational judgments that led you here to our doorstep.

What that poster described is a very tribal mindset--a wet dream for politicians, users, and the inept.

Yeah it's been interesting, I made my decision not because of one player, yeah Callahan strongly influenced who I was going to root for moving forward, but my heart was not in the Rangers anymore. I've been growing tired of the Rangers overall, and what happened this year just was enough to send me off the edge.

It's funny, some of these fans wanted him to go to Buffalo to not only rot, but so they think I would change my handle again. I got a kick out of that.

What annoys me the most is how these select fans throw ex players under the bus, think they are not worth it, and have to keep assuring themselves they will be a bust moving forward. You talk to a Ranger fan in the street, they wish Callahan came back and/or re-signed. They saw a heart and soul guy give his all every night, and could care less about all the single details like some fans here do. Which is why he will get cheers at MSG when he returns, so people here on the HF Rangers board can say what they want, but they don't make up the entire Ranger fandom's opinion.

With that said, you guys, the Tampa fans, are one of the main reasons he signed here, but you guys here actually reflect what the Tampa fans at the forum feel as well, with those loud cheers and support in Tampa. So it's funny how the Rangers fans here really don't have the same opinions as the ones in the street, but the Tampa fans here seem to actually do. I find that interesting.

It all works out, My family has a place just south of Tampa, and we go down there often in the winter, so will be able to attend plenty of games and not pay the crazy prices like at MSG.

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
Yeah it's been interesting, I made my decision not because of one player, yeah Callahan strongly influenced who I was going to root for moving forward, but my heart was not in the Rangers anymore. I've been growing tired of the Rangers overall, and what happened this year just was enough to send me off the edge.

It's funny, some of these fans wanted him to go to Buffalo to not only rot, but so they think I would change my handle again. I got a kick out of that.

What annoys me the most is how these select fans throw ex players under the bus, think they are not worth it, and have to keep assuring themselves they will be a bust moving forward. You talk to a Ranger fan in the street, they wish Callahan came back and/or re-signed. They saw a heart and soul guy give his all every night, and could care less about all the single details like some fans here do. Which is why he will get cheers at MSG when he returns, so people here on the HF Rangers board can say what they want, but they don't make up the entire Ranger fandom's opinion.

With that said, you guys, the Tampa fans, are one of the main reasons he signed here, but you guys here actually reflect what the Tampa fans at the forum feel as well, with those loud cheers and support in Tampa. So it's funny how the Rangers fans here really don't have the same opinions as the ones in the street, but the Tampa fans here seem to actually do. I find that interesting.

It all works out, My family has a place just south of Tampa, and we go down there often in the winter, so will be able to attend plenty of games and not pay the crazy prices like at MSG.

I suspect people down here are just more chilled out, generally speaking. I had a New Yorican friend that once told me, "I grew up in New York. I don't want to go back there. You can't just sit on your porch up there. You always have to be doing something. That's what I like here." Something to that effect anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad