Not sure where to post, but what are the general consensus for the best team,

Kennel

Aug 17, 2012
Travelling is part of being in a big league.

Yes, and people prefer travelling to places that don't require visas and have good, cheap connections.

A quick search tells me that flying from Helsinki to Nizhny Novgorod (one of the closest destinations) and back costs around 400€ and 80€ for a visa.

Flying to anywhere in Central Europe (about the same distance) costs usually less than 250€, sometimes notably less. Oslo costs less than 100€.

It's quite easy to see why Western fans would like to see more Western teams.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Yep, just because St.Petersburg isn't any realistic.

There is only one team we can talk about seriously and it's Vityaz. The others is just what I was talking about. Ppl wanting less russian teams in the league and acting like there is a long line of teams in Europe not only willing but also able to be in the KHL at least at the level of the worst teams.

That's the point. I now why ppl think that way and I know they are prejudiced and wrong.

No people want less poor and/or small-town Russian teams,that includes teams like Novokuznetsk,Yugra,Niznekamsk etc.
You cant turn a profit in a city like Niznekamsk,you just cant its a polluted grey city with a income nowhere near comprable to any Western european cities.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
No people want less poor and/or small-town Russian teams,that includes teams like Novokuznetsk,Yugra,Niznekamsk etc.
You cant turn a profit in a city like Niznekamsk,you just cant its a polluted grey city with a income nowhere near comprable to any Western european cities.
Well, it's not like Magnitogorsk is all that vibrant either, but Metallurg is also one of the better organizations in the league and their ownership is stable and adequate. Some other cities don't have as many excuses for having them at this level of pro hockey, indeed.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yes, and people prefer travelling to places that don't require visas and have good, cheap connections.

A quick search tells me that flying from Helsinki to Nizhny Novgorod (one of the closest destinations) and back costs around 400€ and 80€ for a visa.

Flying to anywhere in Central Europe (about the same distance) costs usually less than 250€, sometimes notably less. Oslo costs less than 100€.

It's quite easy to see why Western fans would like to see more Western teams.

That's obvious, but that's what comes with a bigger league. Look at the NHL. There is no such culture of travelling at all and they don't have any visa or cost issues. Ppl mostly go to home games. There was a thread on the NHL board about "arena invasion" by visiting fans and I realised how normal this is to us and obviously not that much in the NHL.

Probably nothing wrong with going to home games as all teams come to visit anyway.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

I don't think we can discuss anything after this.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
That's odd, I barely hear something about Atlant! I thought it was a club no one cared about, even though they have a decent average attendance!

If you read any blog about KHL PR and business side of the league, you'll see Atlant used as an example a lot.

They want every detail of their appearance, from web site to logo, to be top notch.

Team intros:
2012-13:

2013-14:

Their attendance is a result of hard work. They came into a non-hockey place in an already-cluttered "Big Moscow" and edged out a niche for themselves. And by "niche", I mean highest average attendance among five Moscow/Moscow region teams.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Yugra will surprise some this year, a plehothra of young talented players, still the old core (skorokhodo is gone, but replaced by Filatov - if he shows up it's a wash more or less) If Savinainen stays, on a line with Rajala (sp) and mb Filatov - that's a decent 1st line. Nikita Gusev is due for a break out year (PPG in Nadezhda cup with a bigger role).

Many curse severstal - this team gave us Chudinov, Aleksandrov, Shipachyov, Tikhonov (broke out there), Ketov (broke out there), Buchnevich and Vovchenko are coming up in the ranks...really???

Vityaz' is really a spare part for the league. Spartak looks to be a goner, even though there's a lot of history there, but no money...

Novokuznetsk has been a bed for young players to develop, giving the world Orlov and Bobrovskiy - letting others break out...Also Kitsyn, who never panned out though...

Now as for the western teams - they should really take it in there hands and market away trips for their fans taking care of the visa and plane arrangements to make things easier. It will be a growing pain type process, but if you have joined this league, please work on it.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Got my list down to Ak Bars Kan, Severstal, Avtomoblist, and Barys.

if you want to be pulling for a team that will always be significant Ak Bars would be a correct choice.

If you want a team that is perennially bad and great success is to make play-offs once in a while - Severstal' is your team

Avto - is an interesting choice, the team will be interesting while Weisfield is the gm. They will bring good foreign players, take risks on young-lings keep things intriguing.

If you want a team that can compete and challenge for the title some day, heavily influenced by NA players and other foreigners - Barys is your team. But don't be surprised if they fall off the cliff as well.

choose wisely :laugh:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Yugra will surprise some this year, a plehothra of young talented players, still the old core (skorokhodo is gone, but replaced by Filatov - if he shows up it's a wash more or less) If Savinainen stays, on a line with Rajala (sp) and mb Filatov - that's a decent 1st line. Nikita Gusev is due for a break out year (PPG in Nadezhda cup with a bigger role).

Totally agree, they are the ultimate dark horse. They have so many top notch prospects that if only a quarter of them pan out it should be considered a success. They have taken a flyer on many young guys, we'll see if it pays off. Certainly lighter on the wallet than chasing over priced has beens.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
They'd need their own Sergei Fedorov in charge to fall that low.

Sure, it's impossible to fall THAT low but I think after few more dry years they will get a certain reputation which is no fun to have. You, as a SKA fan, know it firsthand.

Frankly, Leafs were a pretty bad analogy but I couldn't think of a better one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad