Not sure how you feel about a boycott

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
It looks like trading away Drake is the one who sets our fans off...

Hall, no problem... Eberle OK... 1st rounder for Reinhart, who cares.... But trading away Drake and it is time to boycott...

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
The bad deals are toppling the good ones. Chia has a habit of making nice little moves sometimes. Gravel, chiasson, Maroon, Drake, Kosko, etc, BUT DAMN does he ever make really bad moves as well.

Today was a breaking point for someone who was mostly neutral. Just brutal and desperate moves.

Mind u I havn't supported this team once this season. Decided it was time to deploy "show me your worth it" attitude after years of torture.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I will say the last billboard the fans organized really rattled the Oilers organization and got under their skin something fierce.

Maybe this one with Glen Sather on it?

Reactions: Aerrol

Dakinjor

Nov 13, 2014
It looks like trading away Drake is the one who sets our fans off...

Hall, no problem... Eberle OK... 1st rounder for Reinhart, who cares.... But trading away Drake and it is time to boycott...

I think it was more trading for manning, rather than losing drake.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I wonder what happened to the Lowe Must Go billboard guy. You'd think he'd be up for rallying another one, lol.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I think it was more trading for manning, rather than losing drake.

So, what you are saying is that instead of trying to improve his team, he should focus on acquiring players which are popular with the fans...

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I remember the last time HF tried to organize a rally, to get MacT fired.
Got alot of steam on the web, but in real life? Like only 3 people showed up.

Reactions: lakai17

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I am boycotting. I can go to any game I want through work and eventhough im not paying its a waste of my time. I'll follow the games on TV. I wont buy any merchandise, pay for games, use the concession or anything else.

I dont get the logic behind fans that are giving their money to this incompetent management and greedy money hungry owner.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
What will Seattle do for the league? Give a little more parity to the league? Or the rich get richer?

Messier11

May 9, 2016
After reading everything, I think that two things can help, but one will likely never happen. Firstly, it was naive of me to suggest to boycott a game when STH's have already paid for their seats. The only thing that would make sense on a game by game basis would be to not support concessions, but let's be honest, that won't happen in a large, organized fashion.

What I think would be helpful would be an organized billboard, and possibly full page Edmonton Journal ad that would grab attention. Publishing it in the Journal itself would gain some coverage I am sure. This organization needs to get this message.

One possible idea, which I would ask others to share their own, would be a picture of Bob Nicholson and Chiapet, asking "So, what was the plan?"

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I was involved in a few things back in the Kevin Lowe must go days. I don't think something like that will start happening again, people are more apathetic than upset now. I think sometimes we forget how upset everyone was just before we got McDavid.

I remember the jersey tossers, the guy who drove his tractor onto the Oilers' property with a Kevin Lowe Must Go sign attached, the guy who funded the bill board and that whole campaign was big too. There were a few incidents of people bringing signs at games. Me and a friend (very drunkenly) yelled out "Kevin Lowe has to go" chants during the last minute of a blow out game, we had two signs that said "Fire" and "Lowe" on them and walked right up to the edge of the upper bowl. Lots of people got on board and chanted with us but some told us to shut up because they wanted to watch the game, even though we had just watched St Louis outshoot us 48-17 at home or something like that, during a double digit losing streak, and we were some 4 goals down with twenty seconds left. That emotion (at least for me) is gone. The point of protesting the team is long gone for me, now it's just deciding if I care anymore.
Ive been a fan since the WHA days. Ive watched the dynasty teams. Ive watched that group get dismantled years before it should have and dealt with the heart break that went with it. I watched with frustration as we traded away talent because we couldn’t afford to pay for it before the 2004 lockout. Even through all that I never gave up.

It feels different for me as a fan now. I’ve never been as apathetic about this team as I am now. In the past there was always some kind of hope to look forward to. When we couldn’t afford talent there was the hope of a salary cap to put us on equal footing. When that didn’t work there was the hope that was supposed to be the rewards some thought we’d get from tanking. When that didn’t work there was the hope that Connor McDavid would change everything. That hasn’t worked either. Not sure what to hope for after that.

I think this team is on the verge of losing a lot of fans. I don’t think I’m the only one who feels the way I do. It’s too expensive to support this team without having any hope and I’m not sure the Oilers have any left to sell. Unless Katz can demonstrate he cares as much about the on ice performance of the team as he does about making money, it wouldn’t surprise me to see attendance levels drop to what we had here in the mid nineties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->