OT - NO POLITICS NOT home for the Holidays.................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
More than that, I think it's just a cheap cash grab. Not that he needs the money, but it's a cash cow he can milk year over year.

Paul was the sole writer, producer, and performer on the track, doing every part. I believe he owned his publishing rights by then too, so basically it's an easy novelty song guaranteed to get airplay every December. I just read that he collects approximately $400,000 per year on royalties for that song alone.
I call that a smart move.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The Wham one is pretty bad too. And I'm one who thinks George Michael's solo stuff is really underrated. The guy could sing.

I will defend Last Christmas - good song, and George Michael goes all out singing on it.

I prefer Wham! to George's solo stuff, but that's just me. You only hear like 3 of their songs get airplay in the US, but all their other hits from the UK are good in that early-80s British pop mold.

Reactions: Alicat

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
His rendition of Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me might be better than Elton's. I love that one and Father Figure.

Check out YouTube for his rehearsal of "Somebody to Love" for the Freddie Mercury tribute at Wembley. David Bowie is in the background rocking to the beat. When you impress Ziggy Stardust, you know you nailed it.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Check out YouTube for his rehearsal of "Somebody to Love" for the Freddie Mercury tribute at Wembley. David Bowie is in the background rocking to the beat. When you impress Ziggy Stardust, you know you nailed it.
Thanks! Will def go down the Youtube rabbit hole later on

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
More than that, I think it's just a cheap cash grab. Not that he needs the money, but it's a cash cow he can milk year over year.

Paul was the sole writer, producer, and performer on the track, doing every part. I believe he owned his publishing rights by then too, so basically it's an easy novelty song guaranteed to get airplay every December. I just read that he collects approximately $400,000 per year on royalties for that song alone.

I think Linda sang backup, though as usual, her mic was turned off. :naughty:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
How did KD Lang's version of Hallelujah not get on that list? I know it isn't necessarily a Christmas song but for whatever reason they play it like it is.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Guys: read the criteria.

It's not a ranking of the quality of the songs. It's purely based on the number of times they have been streamed on spotify.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
If one wants to listen to some lesser known, but great Christmas songs by relatively modern singers, check out the Christmas albums by Jewel and Aimee Mann. Both are excellent. Matter of fact, the Aimee Mann original "Calling on Mary" is one of my favorite Christmas songs (in a wry, cynical, Aimee Mann kind of way).

Reactions: LSCII

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
My town keeps posting about not gathering or going anywhere for thanksgiving. They are describing scenarios with diagrams of how 80 percent of gatherings came down with covid. I legit feel like Truman in the Truman Show.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Test time then picking up in n out
93547DE0-CCD0-4905-A6A2-E6A50BA256C5.jpeg

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
If people are looking for traditional Christmas songs sung by modern artists, I highly recommend Carrie Underwood's new album. Incredible.

I heard one of those jams on the radio this morning, I think. It was a bop and a half!

toria13

Sep 18, 2019
In the modern traditional xmas music intersection, my family enjoys the Pentatonix christmas albums. If I didn't know there's no way I'd guess it's acapella but my nana adores their version of mary did you know and I really like coventry carol

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Our second fridge for the basement was delivered yesterday. My husband measured the space for it but didnt measure the door. We needed like another in to get it in (keep it clean, you sickos) so he is currently taking off the door and frame. I hear power tools and I am concerned.

I knew there was an issue - he was at home to receive the delivery yesterday and he didn't text me a picture of it in the house which was a dead giveaway. I was out braving Wilson Farm to pick up our turkey so I don't think he wanted to add to my stress. :laugh:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
In the modern traditional xmas music intersection, my family enjoys the Pentatonix christmas albums. If I didn't know there's no way I'd guess it's acapella but my nana adores their version of mary did you know and I really like coventry carol

We went to see Pentatonix Christmas show live a few years ago. It was amazing.

Remember going to live shows? What a time that was.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
That wasnt bad. Last time they took blood, this time they swabbed my throat. Results the latest in 5 days.

Nurse told me on the phone quarantine for 10 days after test. But my job doesnt pay you to self quarantine. Only if my results are positive.

I mean I feel fine so I will be going to work Sunday

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
No Elton John "Step into Christmas"?

I like Wham, Mariah and Band Aid so I'm good with them on the list along with Buble.

I'll agree with you on the Wham, Mariah, and Band Aid - and I absolutely love Elton John. But "Step Into Christmas" can take a hike as far as I'm concerned.

And let the stoning begin, but I'm not a huge McCartney fan in the Wings era. Beatles, heck yeah. And even if "Wonderful Christmastime" is solo, it's still in that Wings era. Can't stand it.

I love the cheezy 50s songs, like "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree". I'm slightly relieved to see that the list is only "most streamed" - meaning it's overwhelmed by the algorithm, which always seems to return "Bieber".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad