OT - NO POLITICS NOT home for the Holidays.................

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
How do you reconcile valuing money over lives like this? There is a very obvious solution to this problem where everyone is made whole, but that won't happen just because...

the crazy thing is if they would have spent the money up front we could probably be like Australia right now and everything would be flourishing but they took quite literally the worst possible approach

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
2 more people at work have Covid in my department. Unfortunately I associate with both. Walk to our cars with one and the other I talk to every shift.

Looking to get tested again. Not for me but my parents in their 70s

wonder what the protocol is at work. If I can leave with pay and get tested
At my work if you have had contact with someone who tested positive you have to stay home and quarantine for 14 days

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
CLEVELAND -- Workers at an Ohio restaurant are feeling incredibly grateful for a customer who left a $3,000 tip after ordering a single beer.
"I ran after him and he said no mistake we will see you when you reopen," Nighttown owner Brendan Ring wrote on Facebook.

Ring says his Cleveland restaurant was about to voluntarily close Sunday because of the COVID-19 pandemic when the generous customer came in.
His tab totaled $7.02 for a Stella beer, according to the credit card receipt Ring shared on Facebook.

"As he walked out I looked down at the tip and realized he left a whopping $3,000 tip on a single beer purchase," posted Ring.

The man wished him well and told him to share the tip with the four employees who were working brunch service.

127212860_10222563430247193_3168779483410009612_n.jpg
what a tremendous gesture, feels like this is more than the gov`t will support this soon to be unemployed server with

Reactions: Ladyfan

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Exactly. While it's a heartwarming story that a patron did this for the people there, it shouldn't take generosity or kindness from fellow residents to help small businesses survive this struggle.
agreed, tis why I am exceptionally grateful at the reaction from the gov`t here. Now, for all transparency, thankfully Mrs. Odaat has a very nice job that pays well but after the first lockdown here, we went from two to one income and the gov`t helped me out and did so within a few days after applying for Emergency Assistance ,called CERB here

We are heading right into lockout #2 and even before that happens, the restaurant I work at has few hours for me and I was, once again, permitted to apply for economic assistance to help supplement my income from what it would be under normal circumstances to what it is now as our restaurant and the hours available aren`t close to where they were. Our weekends are solid but Tuesday through Thursday is wonky at best

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
agreed, tis why I am exceptionally grateful at the reaction from the gov`t here. Now, for all transparency, thankfully Mrs. Odaat has a very nice job that pays well but after the first lockdown here, we went from two to one income and the gov`t helped me out and did so within a few days after applying for Emergency Assistance ,called CERB here

We are heading right into lockout #2 and even before that happens, the restaurant I work at has few hours for me and I was, once again, permitted to apply for economic assistance to help supplement my income from what it would be under normal circumstances to what it is now as our restaurant and the hours available aren`t close to where they were. Our weekends are solid but Tuesday through Thursday is wonky at best

My old lady works at a restaurant here and she said the middle of November is the worst part of the year for her restaurant statistically in the past 5 years, but then things pick up in December, but without Christmas parties, or small ones the pick up might not be what it was.

Good luck out there, pubs and restaurants are suffering, have had a few close up island.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Hang in there
Oh No. You are in my thoughts and I hope you all will be OK.
oh man.....thinking of you.
Hope you all get through this smoothly and quickly. Hang in there and let us know if you need anything!

:( I hope everybody feels better shortly. Best of luck with everything, pulling for ya

Thanks.
I'm sure we'll be fine but it pisses me off. Vancouver has been one of few bright spots but suddenly had a surge this past week. My daughter is the major reason why we have taken this virus as seriously as we have this year, always on me, my wife and her sister to mask-up, distance, take precautions, not see people, etc. which she instilled in us ... so for her to get it and be symptomatic is just another example among millions of how insidious this virus is.

Reactions: Ladyfan

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Damnit. My 14 year-old daughter whom has always taken it incredibly seriously and takes all the right precautions just tested positive today. She started feeling dizzy yesterday morning, complained that she couldn't go to her soccer game (she never misses) and now looks like a pale rendition of herself.
My wife will get her results tomorrow but with how she's been feeling today - she'll be positive also. Can already hear her breathing from too far away.

My 11 year-old and I are fine at the moment but odds are we'll get it also - we live in a small house were self-isolation isn't a possibility and will be quarantining. Neither me nor the little one have been tested yet.

Fingers crossed. Considering we live in one of the places that has dealt with it well and that we've taken it seriously - ugh.

Fingers crossed for you. Stay safe, rest up, and quarantine. Take care.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Maybe I’m just a pothead. But talking to the GM, a manager and a coworker I am confused about what I can do.

If I am understanding right. I can leave today with pay. I can get tested. While I wait for the results I have to use PTO. If I come back positive I get my pto back and get 2 weeks off leave. If I am negative they take my PTO. Which is bullshit if u ask me. Thought I was “essential”. That lasted long lmao

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Was told to talk to payroll. Was told since I am an essential worker my CDC rules are different. Since I already passed pre work screening if u left I would have to use my PTO, vacation or leave unpaid. Look like I’m staying plus I’m close to a raise as well. I’ll get a test on my way home or something cuz I heard Walgreens does em.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Maybe I’m just a pothead. But talking to the GM, a manager and a coworker I am confused about what I can do.

If I am understanding right. I can leave today with pay. I can get tested. While I wait for the results I have to use PTO. If I come back positive I get my pto back and get 2 weeks off leave. If I am negative they take my PTO. Which is bullshit if u ask me. Thought I was “essential”. That lasted long lmao
i still dont k ow how it is st my work. all i know is im down to only 45 hours of paid leave i can use with all the days off i have had to takedue to the schools being vlosed since March. ive used the 3 weeks covid time all my sick dsys. my 4 personsl days. now im down to 45 hours va ation u til jan 1.
tgats why i wont get tested because if i pop a positive test im afraid they will force me to take dsys off without pay.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Damnit. My 14 year-old daughter whom has always taken it incredibly seriously and takes all the right precautions just tested positive today. She started feeling dizzy yesterday morning, complained that she couldn't go to her soccer game (she never misses) and now looks like a pale rendition of herself.
My wife will get her results tomorrow but with how she's been feeling today - she'll be positive also. Can already hear her breathing from too far away.

My 11 year-old and I are fine at the moment but odds are we'll get it also - we live in a small house were self-isolation isn't a possibility and will be quarantining. Neither me nor the little one have been tested yet.

Fingers crossed. Considering we live in one of the places that has dealt with it well and that we've taken it seriously - ugh.

Damn, I'm sorry.... I hope it all turns out well.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

Sorry to hear, hope everyone recovers easily and has just mild cases.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
i still dont k ow how it is st my work. all i know is im down to only 45 hours of paid leave i can use with all the days off i have had to takedue to the schools being vlosed since March. ive used the 3 weeks covid time all my sick dsys. my 4 personsl days. now im down to 45 hours va ation u til jan 1.
tgats why i wont get tested because if i pop a positive test im afraid they will force me to take dsys off without pay.

I'll sell you some of my time. I haven't taken a day off since last year.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Thanks.
I'm sure we'll be fine but it pisses me off. Vancouver has been one of few bright spots but suddenly had a surge this past week. My daughter is the major reason why we have taken this virus as seriously as we have this year, always on me, my wife and her sister to mask-up, distance, take precautions, not see people, etc. which she instilled in us ... so for her to get it and be symptomatic is just another example among millions of how insidious this virus is.
Hoping for a quick recovery. Take care, b!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
For those in Central Mass.....they are reconfiguring the DCU center this week into a field hospital.
Drilling thru the outer walls for exterior liquid oxygen tanks being installed on the sidewalks and piped into the building. UMass Memorial not quite at capacity yet but trending to that point.
Goal is to have DCU fully operational by Dec 8th.
Flying in military nurses.

Field hospital at DCU Center in Worcester looking to hire doctors, nurses

Gonna be a helluva winter.

I was in there yesterday. Losing vision in my left eye due to cataract. But they wont operate until at least May or June depending on covid rates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan and CDJ

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
For those in Central Mass.....they are reconfiguring the DCU center this week into a field hospital.
Drilling thru the outer walls for exterior liquid oxygen tanks being installed on the sidewalks and piped into the building. UMass Memorial not quite at capacity yet but trending to that point.
Goal is to have DCU fully operational by Dec 8th.
Flying in military nurses.

Field hospital at DCU Center in Worcester looking to hire doctors, nurses

Gonna be a helluva winter.

I was in there yesterday. Losing vision in my left eye due to cataract. But they wont operate until at least May or June depending on covid rates.

Yep, it's going to be a while before they start doing things like that. We go to Mass General for my daughter's neurological care, and the team we have for her coverage were shifted to virtual and told by the hospital to not expect to come back until middle of next year at the earliest. They said to them even if they wanted to come in, there's no space for them to use, so don't bother. It's great because it saves us an hour drive without traffic each way. On the days they had us in for the early appointment, we'd have to be leaving the house by 5:30 AM just to get there in time.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
My 95 year old great aunt had cataract surgery about a month and a half ago. I think she only had waited like 4 months but maybe they bumped her up because she insisted to the doctor she was going to continue to keep driving around whether they did it or not.

All this waiting for surgeries, it's like living in Canada.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
My 95 year old great aunt had cataract surgery about a month and a half ago. I think she only had waited like 4 months but maybe they bumped her up because she insisted to the doctor she was going to continue to keep driving around whether they did it or not.

myy great grandfather lived until he was, I wanna say, 104 years old and drove until the day he died. I swear he drove himself to his own funeral. Guy must have been involved in 50 hit and runs his last few years and didn’t even know it.

Reactions: roflstomper

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

You clearly don't have to deal with a complex medical condition and treatment down here then, because you end up waiting quite a bit, but you still get a bill afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad