OT - NO POLITICS NOT home for the Holidays.................

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Why 'Jeopardy!' contestants tend to do so poorly with sports categories Why 'Jeopardy!' contestants tend to do so poorly with sports categories

In a recent piece for the Toronto Star, Alex Wong explored why Jeopardy! contestants, who seemingly know at least a little bit about everything, were so bad at sports topics. Sure, there’s the stereotype that “nerds” don’t know anything about sports. Or is it silly to assume that somebody who happens to know each of the vice presidents throughout history should also know that a football kicked between the goalposts is called a field goal?

Wong talked to Justin Earnshaw, one of the contestants on a February 2018 episode that had a clip go viral when none of them could answer the clues in a football category. Neither of them even buzzed in with an attempt.

“My mom, who was in the audience for the taping, is obsessed with American football,” Earnshaw told Wong. “As soon as I stepped off the stage, she gave me a little bit of hell in the most loving way.”

In related news, good news for us J!-heads in Boston:

His last episode was set to air Christmas Friday, which would be preempted in a lot of markets. Now it will be the week of January 4, although I don't know if they're holding back one week or two. They're showing two weeks of reruns, though they could have planned for one week of reruns.

By then, I have a feeling that "Patriots All Access" will have been cancelled, so we'll get to watch the episode "live" with the rest of the nation, and not have to DVR a 2 AM show.

New shows tape in November with a rotating cast of hosts, starting with Jennings.

Reactions: Fenway

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
At my hair appointment....ahhhhhhh, relaxation.

:vhappy:

ct46BWNPhmCSk.gif

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
CLEVELAND -- Workers at an Ohio restaurant are feeling incredibly grateful for a customer who left a $3,000 tip after ordering a single beer.
"I ran after him and he said no mistake we will see you when you reopen," Nighttown owner Brendan Ring wrote on Facebook.

Ring says his Cleveland restaurant was about to voluntarily close Sunday because of the COVID-19 pandemic when the generous customer came in.
His tab totaled $7.02 for a Stella beer, according to the credit card receipt Ring shared on Facebook.

"As he walked out I looked down at the tip and realized he left a whopping $3,000 tip on a single beer purchase," posted Ring.

The man wished him well and told him to share the tip with the four employees who were working brunch service.

127212860_10222563430247193_3168779483410009612_n.jpg

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
See NBC's 2020 Holiday Programming Lineup

The Croods

• Saturday, Nov. 21, 8-10 p.m.
  • Featuring the voices of Nicolas Cage, Ryan Reynolds and Emma Stone, this family-friendly adventure film about a caveman family was a worldwide box office hit.
A 'Saturday Night Live' Thanksgiving Special
  • Wednesday, Nov. 25, 9-11 p.m.
  • Many of the Thanksgiving-themed sketches over the course of “SNL’s” illustrious 46-season history will delight audiences.
The 94th Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
  • Thursday, Nov. 26, 9 a.m.-noon (repeat at 2 p.m.)
  • The tradition continues with a reimagined celebration that will safely bring the magic of the parade to Herald Square with giant floats and Broadway performers as families watch from the comfort of their homes.
The National Dog Show
  • Thursday, Nov. 26, 12-2 p.m. (repeat Nov. 28 at 8 p.m.)
  • Man’s best friend gets the spotlight as over 175 breeds will compete in the annual canine competition
'How the Grinch Stole Christmas'
  • Friday, Nov. 27, 8-8:30 p.m. (repeat Dec. 25, 8 p.m.)
  • The iconic 1966 cartoon features the voice of Boris Karloff as the Grinch.
'Minions Holiday Special'
  • Friday, Nov. 27, 8:30-9 p.m.
  • Illumination presents four new mini-movie escapades along with special guest appearances from some of Illumination’s beloved characters from their “The Secret Life of Pets” and “Sing” franchises.
88th Annual Christmas in Rockefeller Center
  • Wednesday, Dec. 2, 8-10 p.m.
  • For eight decades the tree-lighting ceremony has been one of the iconic New York City holiday moments with millions watching across the country in the comfort and safety of their homes.
Radio City Christmas Spectacular
  • Wednesday, Dec. 2, 10-11 p.m.
  • The world-famous Rockettes perform in the iconic show that entertains the thousands of theatergoers who visit the famed Rockefeller Center venue each holiday season.
Dr. Seuss’ 'The Grinch Musical!'
  • Wednesday, Dec. 9, 8-10 p.m. (repeat Dec. 21 at 8 p.m.)
  • Matthew Morrison will star as the curmudgeonly creature in a stage production from London’s Troubadour Theatre.
A 'Saturday Night Live' Christmas Special
  • Thursday, Dec. 16, 9-11 p.m. (repeat Dec. 22 at 9 p.m.)
  • Santa brings the laughs as “SNL” goes into the time capsule for two hours of Christmas-themed sketches.
'It’s a Wonderful Life'
  • Thursday, Dec. 24, 8-11 p.m.
  • The holidays wouldn’t be the same without a rewatching of the classic 1946 film, starring Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed.

Reactions: Gee Wally

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Really smart move, that’s the night all the kids are home from college and go out and see their friends from HS. Bars are usually packed

Tbh we are too far gone, people in Provo were trying to invade an ICU to prove it’s a conspiracy. Country’s f***ed. 250,000 people are dead. I remember being outraged when we hit 6 figures. This is PATHETIC leadership. They’ve more or less given up at a federal level and some state’s followed that lead until recently, despite seeing what happened in other parts of the country at the start of this. Now pretty much every state is in danger.

Conspiracy theorists trying to prove fake COVID theories ousted from Utah Valley Hospital | KUTV

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Damnit. My 14 year-old daughter whom has always taken it incredibly seriously and takes all the right precautions just tested positive today. She started feeling dizzy yesterday morning, complained that she couldn't go to her soccer game (she never misses) and now looks like a pale rendition of herself.
My wife will get her results tomorrow but with how she's been feeling today - she'll be positive also. Can already hear her breathing from too far away.

My 11 year-old and I are fine at the moment but odds are we'll get it also - we live in a small house were self-isolation isn't a possibility and will be quarantining. Neither me nor the little one have been tested yet.

Fingers crossed. Considering we live in one of the places that has dealt with it well and that we've taken it seriously - ugh.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Damnit. My 14 year-old daughter whom has always taken it incredibly seriously and takes all the right precautions just tested positive today. She started feeling dizzy yesterday morning, complained that she couldn't go to her soccer game (she never misses) and now looks like a pale rendition of herself.
My wife will get her results tomorrow but with how she's been feeling today - she'll be positive also. Can already hear her breathing from too far away.

My 11 year-old and I are fine at the moment but odds are we'll get it also - we live in a small house were self-isolation isn't a possibility and will be quarantining. Neither me nor the little one have been tested yet.

Fingers crossed. Considering we live in one of the places that has dealt with it well and that we've taken it seriously - ugh.

Hang in there

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Oh No. You are in my thoughts and I hope you all will be OK.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

oh man.....thinking of you.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Praying for a quick and easy recovery for your family...

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Last week this girl at work tested positive. Paper on the table with her name and if u have had contact with her put your name. Shes a garbage person so Im fine. Yesterday my boy who is dating that girls friend(soon to be former friend) told me she was acting if she had a false positive. Was asking to see peoples babies, asking his gf and other people to hang out and even went to play softball last weekend. As I said before. Garbage person.

Reactions: CDJ

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Hope you all get through this smoothly and quickly. Hang in there and let us know if you need anything!

Reactions: b in vancouver

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
CLEVELAND -- Workers at an Ohio restaurant are feeling incredibly grateful for a customer who left a $3,000 tip after ordering a single beer.
"I ran after him and he said no mistake we will see you when you reopen," Nighttown owner Brendan Ring wrote on Facebook.

Ring says his Cleveland restaurant was about to voluntarily close Sunday because of the COVID-19 pandemic when the generous customer came in.
His tab totaled $7.02 for a Stella beer, according to the credit card receipt Ring shared on Facebook.

"As he walked out I looked down at the tip and realized he left a whopping $3,000 tip on a single beer purchase," posted Ring.

The man wished him well and told him to share the tip with the four employees who were working brunch service.

127212860_10222563430247193_3168779483410009612_n.jpg
If only the government stepped up to do the same - tax and spend to keep our people afloat.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
drive all the way to daycare and forget daughters mask. ugh. half hour back to the house to get it. then back. wasted 1 hour. good start to the day.
by december im going to start putting some amaretto in my ice coffees at work.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

:(

I hope everybody feels better shortly. Best of luck with everything, pulling for ya

Reactions: b in vancouver

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
2 more people at work have Covid in my department. Unfortunately I associate with both. Walk to our cars with one and the other I talk to every shift.

Looking to get tested again. Not for me but my parents in their 70s

wonder what the protocol is at work. If I can leave with pay and get tested

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
drive all the way to daycare and forget daughters mask. ugh. half hour back to the house to get it. then back. wasted 1 hour. good start to the day.
by december im going to start putting some amaretto in my ice coffees at work.
I leave a few spares in my glove box just in case. Saved me last night when I couldn't get my cloth mask to stop sliding down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad