Not Everything Sucks | The All-Encompassing Sunny Side of the Street Thread

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pens can fill out their bottom six with cheap competent players next year.

Can allow us to address the defense using some cap.

Reactions: DegenX

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Once Schultz is back, and Geno too, there will be time left before the TDL to address further needs. That could come at the brink of the final seconds of Feb. 25th deadline.

15 days away, folks.

Then we'll have a true knowing how this team will fair this year.

Positives are moving forward even in the face of disaster. We could be hampered with a TDL around March 3rd like years past. 21 days away.

Biggest positives are Schultz getting back, and Geno being good enough to trek forward.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
So we’re in agreement that we cheer for Johnson’s further spectacular implosions until TDL?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Once Schultz is back, and Geno too, there will be time left before the TDL to address further needs. That could come at the brink of the final seconds of Feb. 25th deadline.

15 days away, folks.

Then we'll have a true knowing how this team will fair this year.

Positives are moving forward even in the face of disaster. We could be hampered with a TDL around March 3rd like years past. 21 days away.

Biggest positives are Schultz getting back, and Geno being good enough to trek forward.

Is it legal to force retire Johnson?

BillPrep

Jun 2, 2016
Is it legal to force retire Johnson?
I havent been shot at today...

this-is-not-the-contract-you-are-looking-for.jpg

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
How about Brian Dumoulin?

He's already matched his career high in points (18).
He's a +28, so it would be nearly impossible for him to not surpass his career high of +11 (yes, I know, +/- is a bullshit stat, but when it is that high, I think it is telling).
He's been more physical this year (only 3 hits shy of his career high, been sticking up for Murr and some other teammates as well).
Probably will set a career high in ATOI.
His Corsi is around his career 52% average despite getting more D-zone starts.

Guy's been awesome. Hopefully JR's assessment of Petterson becoming like Dumo becomes true.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Well, we still have Crosby, Malkin, and Letang. We should be a playoff team for the next few years just because of that. I am sure many will say the sky is falling if we miss this year, but it doesn't mean we'll stop contending for a spot. As long as our stars are here and healthy, we will keep being a potential playoff team.

We have some solid youth in Guentzel and Murray. Mccann looks promising.

And we still have our first this year if old man JR doesn't deal it away. That first could be a mid round pick, or if we miss could even have a chance of being a top 3 pick.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
We are actually sixth in goals for, only a few goals behind the third. If we can figure that power play thing and get some players back we might string some wins together.

Good point. Some of the underlying signs are there.

I know this is a positive thread, butI dont want to be a purveyor of false hope. That said, this has a feeling to me of a few of the past seasons. Expectations are not met, expensive stars are out/underperforming and it looks like the only solution is a major offseason shakeup. Yet the Pens are still somewhere in the playoff picture. I think back to late 2015, when we all knew Scuds was a black hole and that transition was a huge problem for the team. That single change + getting some speed via trade and callups (and adding Schultz at the TDL) made a massive difference in how the team looked.

Today, we've got another major problem on the back end, and the number tell us all we're better off without him. Meanwhile we have added hungry youth (Bjug, McCann, Teddy, Pearson) and have Geno and arguably our best PMD returning soon. I'm probably fooling myself but things could be shaping up for a good acquisition + the arrival of Schultz to remake our blueline. That, and Geno returning, and some line beyond L1 showing some chemistry, might spark the whole team to life....just at the right time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad