Post-Game Talk: Not Cup Champs from Detroit @ Cup Champs in DC 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Good look dude.

They also have all the jerseys with the SC patches back in stock and some are even on sale

I finally got my white DSP jersey and it was like 40 bucks off

The thing that I would really like to get is a DSP poster with one of his epic goal celebrations. I don't think one exists, though:(

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I know +/- is a mostly stupid stat for a forward but on Nov. 21st Ovie was a -1, in the ten games since then he is +13 and sits at +12 for the season.

Way to pick up the defense line one.
Why is plus/ minus a stupid stat for a forward?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Why is plus/ minus a stupid stat for a forward?

Because a forward could be changing (or just jumping on the ice) and get tagged with a minus, he could be standing at the point on his coverage and the team gets scored on, pulled for an extra man on a delayed penalty, etc.

It is not great for dmen either all the time but I think it holds a little weight for them.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Because a forward could be changing (or just jumping on the ice) and get tagged with a minus, he could be standing at the point on his coverage and the team gets scored on, pulled for an extra man on a delayed penalty, etc.

It is not great for dmen either all the time but I think it holds a little weight for them.
It happens to everyone once in awhile not just forwards. I know in a game earlier this year Carlson assist on a goal but was already on the bench when the goal was scored so Niskanen got the plus.
Plus/ minus stat has its faults but it is better than corsi.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Solid all-round game. I'm not going to get too excited over the game though. It was against a mediocre Wings team that played lastnight.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It happens to everyone once in awhile not just forwards. I know in a game earlier this year Carlson assist on a goal but was already on the bench when the goal was scored so Niskanen got the plus.
Hmmm, no.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Of course. My point was Ovechkin from went from +/- dud to +/- stud in just ten games.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I really don’t remember the last time everything seemed to go in for Ovechkin. If anything, it’s usually the opposite; he racks up his goals for sure, but also hits a million posts along the way, and you wind up thinking of all goals he could’ve had. Kind of reminds me of the year Crosby won the Rocket. As great a player as 87 is, he also seemed to get the bounces that year, right from the start of the season. This year, at least so far, same seems to be happening for Ovie.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Of course. My point was Ovechkin from went from +/- dud to +/- stud in just ten games.
Putting him on a line with Backstrom will do that. He is still the most underrated player in the league. How has he never been at least a Selke finalist yet? Best he finished in Selke votes was 7th.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

Jun 15, 2007
Hmmmm yes. Corsi is by far the worst stat in hockey. Coaches and players will tell you that.
In fact they laugh when corsi is brought up.
This is just nonsense.
Every team has an analytics guy now. Toronto and Arizona made their analytics guys their GMs.

Corsi is a great stat with the proper context. Certainly better than plus minus.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Putting him on a line with Backstrom will do that. He is still the most underrated player in the league. How has he never been at least a Selke finalist yet? Best he finished in Selke votes was 7th.

With Bergeron hurt and Kopitar struggling he’s got a chance!... aw who am I kidding.

Also little PK time hurts.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Hmmmm yes. Corsi is by far the worst stat in hockey. Coaches and players will tell you that.
In fact they laugh when corsi is brought up.
And before Corsi came along Plus/Minus was the worst stat in hockey. Corsi is, in essence, about getting the same information as individual plus/minus with higher event frequency. If you use either of those statistics blindly you're going to make yourself look like a chump who doesn't know the sport, but it's not as simple as "Corsi=shot spam". As with plus/minus, it will almost always be most relevant when comparing players on one team, in one system, rather than using it as the basis for league-wide Norris voting.

And now, while we're trading in facts, I'd like to see these coaches in interviews laughing at the use of stats and corsi. Remember, saying it's not the end-all is not the same as openly laughing at the notion that the stat has value.

Interested in seeing those quotes where players tell you that, because without them it almost sounds like somebody talking out of their ass and hoping that a little appealing to authority will make him look smarter than the average bear.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
unless you're prime Detroit or prime Chicago all corsi indicates is that your team strategy is to spam savable shots instead of making them count like the Caps did last spring.

Except their Corsi went up as they started playing better. They just sucked before January but the advanced stats showed they were on their way to being a good team around February.

It's needed in context but to just toss it aside is ridiculous .

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I really don’t remember the last time everything seemed to go in for Ovechkin. If anything, it’s usually the opposite; he racks up his goals for sure, but also hits a million posts along the way, and you wind up thinking of all goals he could’ve had. Kind of reminds me of the year Crosby won the Rocket. As great a player as 87 is, he also seemed to get the bounces that year, right from the start of the season. This year, at least so far, same seems to be happening for Ovie.

I think Ovie's PDO is around 106 or something like that. (Was 105.5 before tonight's game and I'm sure it went up) So, things are certainly going his way, this year.

Last time he had a PDO this high was 2009-10.

I think things even out and Ovie was due for things to bounce his way. :)

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I think Ovie's PDO is around 106 or something like that. (Was 105.5 before tonight's game and I'm sure it went up) So, things are certainly going his way, this year.

Last time he had a PDO this high was 2009-10.

I think things even out and Ovie was due for things to bounce his way. :)
I don’t understand who high PDO is thought to be flukish and not a sign people are playing well.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Ovie is playing very well. Still, I am not sure he can finish the season at 20%+ shooting percentage, though. :P

If he does, he'll score 60+.
He’s on pace for 68, and a shooting % of 20% is an indication it’s unlikely he’ll have 68, but his 14% on ice shooting % is stronger evidence of his level of play than his individual shooting % because it increases the sample size and Ovy makes life easier for everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad