Not Another Matt Murray Thread!

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
A lot of Penguins fans are casuals imo. One aspect where I like Steelers fans over them. Steelers fans for the most part gets it's organization over players. Imagine if we cried about Bell and AB like Penguins do Fleury. No doubt in my mind it's why Letang hasn't been moved.

Yes. And no. A lot of older Pens fans (late 20s to late 30s) I think are hard core into the game, especially the ones who came up post-Lemieux/Jagr and during the Gen X years, simply because if you bothered to watch the game or follow the team, you were hardcore into the game, because the team itself wasn't winning ANYTHING. :laugh: Then again, some of those people formed unnecessarily tight emotional attachments to the players (and not just MAF, I'm talking people like Armstrong or Mango Salsa or Taters Malone) because they were around during the dark years and were comparative rays of sunshine during the darkest years of the franchise. I think that's where the MAF syndrome has its roots, and it's made worse by Madden and sports radio and the disappearance of better alternatives in the national and local media markets.

I think a bigger "problem" over the Crosby era has been the typical yinzer sports crowd which only cares about championships-- be they Super Bowls or Stanley Cups and gets incredibly mad that we aren't winning them year after year. Kinda like the Rust Belt equivalent of Yankees fans, I guess. :laugh: It used to be those kind of fans got shunted to the Stillers because they were so dominant, but with the Stillers in decline and the Pens still contending, I think a bunch of them got diverted to the Pens by default.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I kinda wish it were true.

That way we can have a "When will the Pens retire #30" thread in 19 years. And have like ONE lone poster coming in and saying Murray actually loved the team and Mario and shiet.

At least this one poster would be able to say that Murray actually helped the team win a couple f***ing SCs....unlike certain other players....

Now that's a bit harsh, Brassard's already got enough shame heaped on his name.

Reactions: EightyOne

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I think a bigger "problem" over the Crosby era has been the typical yinzer sports crowd which only cares about championships-- be they Super Bowls or Stanley Cups and gets incredibly mad that we aren't winning them year after year. Kinda like the Rust Belt equivalent of Yankees fans, I guess. :laugh: It used to be those kind of fans got shunted to the Stillers because they were so dominant, but with the Stillers in decline and the Pens still contending, I think a bunch of them got diverted to the Pens by default.

Center is the most important position imo. It's like having two HoF QB's. We've had two of the top five centers for a decade +. When we look back at it we will say we should've had way more Championships. Ultimately the reason they don't is because of Fleury and lack of defense ie Letang.

Penguins have been a lot more consistent hence why the bandwagon fans stick around. I guess we will see what happens after Crosby/Malkin. Steelers haven't won anything in over a decade and fans are still crazy so I can't really say they're bandwagon.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't think Stillers Nation fans are bandwagoners at all. But just going on postgame talk and listening to my family talk about them, I don't think they're as invested in the Xs and Os of the game as we're saying. So, I think it's a bit weird to expect fans of the Pens, the city's second sons, to adhere to the same standards. :dunno:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Now that's a bit harsh, Brassard's already got enough shame heaped on his name.

No harsher than giving Rust a hard time...

I think a bigger "problem" over the Crosby era has been the typical yinzer sports crowd which only cares about championships-- be they Super Bowls or Stanley Cups and gets incredibly mad that we aren't winning them year after year. Kinda like the Rust Belt equivalent of Yankees fans, I guess. :laugh:

He doesn't approve coming from... Pontiac/Troy, Michigan. Wing fan....:popcorn:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Fans are trash, and not just the anti-Murray ones. :laugh:

Like it's clear that both sides are spoiling for a fight on this just to have some weird-ass moral high ground that's absurd on its face, but go off king(s).

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
If fans are still allowed to be pissed off at Jagr, who is arguably 2nd best Penguin player ever, then unless your last name is Crosby or Malkin, you are fair game for hate. Its funny how same people that defend MM and think fans are stupid for hating him turn around and say much worse about Jagr.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Oh good, now we have to hear about Jagr too. Can we talk about Malkin while we're at it and totally make this thread even more worthless? How about fighting?

Reactions: EightyOne

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
odMNxyF.png

This whole thing is getting crazy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad