Rumor: NOT AGAIN Carbo met with Habs Management?

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
If Carbonneau once said "I have no idea what to do anymore...." Can't believe what he'd be saying now...

Everyone had shorter fuses back then. Gainey. Carbonneau... I can't recall anyone else in Habs history that could stomach this massive amount of non-stop losing, save maybe for Pinotte, and he never had to deal with playing .200 for a 2 month+ period. So I'm not even sure...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'll make it clear, I'm not on the pro-French bandwagon. I wasn't happy when we hired MT and I hated it for a long time. I just think given who is available it's going to be a French coach regardless so I'll save my breath this time.
That's fine. But don't tell me that Therrien was the best we could do last time around. That's what I took issue with.

- 5 point negative difference in possession numbers everywhere he's gone.
- Has eventual cup winning Pens out of playoff and bottom third everywhere including 30th in shots when he's fired. That team wins cup without him and goes top ten everywhere after he leaves.
- Is unable to get his teams to the playoffs without stellar goaltending
- Bottom third across the board with chip and chase nonsense over the past few years
- Consistent usage of inferior players over better ones. Yes, this happens with other coaches but not to this degree and not on the first line.
- Poor developer of talent

When did I say he was a hot property? All I said is he didn't go work in Switzerland or the AHL or whatever because he didn't think he needed to.
You said he was the best coach availble. And to that I say... no way. He wasn't in demand for a reason. He sucks.

That doesn't mean that any coach who leaves and comes back sucks but it does in his case. It's incredible how some of the most incompetent people in the world manage to fail upwards and MT is a classic example of this. I have no idea how he has any kind of career related to hockey that doesn't involve being some kind of angry mascot.
No to Jacques Demers, please.
Over Therrien? I'll take Demers every day and twice on Sunday. He's a million times better. I'll take half the posters on this board over Therrien.
As for Boucher, he's already been in organization so he has an inside track IMO. I'm just wondering who you'd like...that isn't already hired obviously. I didn't know that people ripped on Boucher actually, I thought he was generally liked or didn't have enough time to be disliked.
I'm neutral towards Boucher. I don't know enough about him.

The "trapping" style that he employed concerns me but many here said he had no choice with that lineup. I just would prefer a 'players' coach right now because after four years of MT the guys could use a break, not another hardass. And based on what little I know of Boucher he's more of a hardass so that gives me some concern. I'm sure he'd be a million times better than Therrien and I don't want anything to do with Roy so... if we have to select from this tiny pool then I guess he's the best of a horrible lot.

Hitchcock would be far more interesting in my opinion. He might be too cerebral though. Apparently the Blues players aren't big fans of his. He seems to be a very good systems guy though so who knows? I've always liked his results.

Last edited:

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
That's fine. But don't tell me that Therrien was the best we could do last time around. That's what I took issue with.

- Has eventual cup winning Pens out of playoff and bottom third everywhere including 30th in shots when he's fired. That team wins cup without him and goes top ten everywhere after he leaves.
- Bottom third across the board with chip and chase nonsense over the past few years
- Consistent usage of inferior players over better ones. Yes, this happens with other coaches but not to this degree and not on the first line.

You said he was the best coach availble. And to that I say... no way. He wasn't in demand for a reason. He sucks.

That doesn't mean that any coach who leaves and comes back sucks but it does in his case. It's incredible how some of the most incompetent people in the world manage to fail upwards and MT is a classic example of this. I have no idea how he has any kind of career related to hockey that doesn't involve being some kind of angry mascot.

Over Therrien? I'll take Demers every day and twice on Sunday. He's a million times better. I'll take half the posters on this board over Therrien.

The "trapping" style that he employed concerns me but many here said he had no choice with that lineup. I just would prefer a 'players' coach right now because after four years of MT the guys could use a break, not another hardass. And based on what little I know of Boucher he's more of a hardass so that gives me some concern. I'm sure he'd be a million times better than Therrien and I don't want anything to do with Roy so... if we have to select from this tiny pool then I guess he's the best of a horrible lot.

Hitchcock would be far more interesting in my opinion. He might be too cerebral though. Apparently the Blues players aren't big fans of his. He seems to be a very good systems guy though so who knows? I've always liked his results.

Didnt he have Vinny, st louis and Stamkos ?? He would really have to trap with the habs lineup.

Lozela

Nov 11, 2010
Time to bring in Le Chiffre and wait till the end of the year to have Pascal Vincent coaching the AHL team

Habruti!

Mar 5, 2002
Gatineau
Visit site
People need to stop worrying about the French coach issue right now.

At the time, MT was best coach available. No...they weren't going to fire him for Babcock...no one does that.

Now...it's probably Boucher.

Coincidence? Absolutely but I really don't think this is the argument we should be having now because it would yield Boucher in the end anyway.

Boucher would be interesting, I would not mind them taking a peak at Benoit Groulx, he is imo the best French speaking coach not currently hired in the NHL (along with Boucher). I mean if they want to really get the first pick we could change Therrien for Lefebvre... for the rest of the season.

Habruti!

Mar 5, 2002
Gatineau
Visit site
Regardless of what you feel about MT the next best coach now is Boucher right? So having the French debate now is extremely pointless.

Not to mention being out of the game when you're a vet coach is very common. When MT lost his first job he went back to the AHL. When Boucher lost his first job he went to Switzerland. Trust me, when Boucher gets another NHL gig and eventually gets fired(they all do, nothing against Guy) he won't go back to the AHL or Switzerland. He'll just sit back and wait for an offer like MT did. Same applies to any young coach.

As mentioned, not entirely sure Boucher is the best french coach available. I is probably on top of the list. IMO I would like to see Carbo come back as an assistant.

My choice would be Benoit Groulx with Carbo and Daighault as assistant.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I remember several positives with Carbo as coach. I do remember however that he was a horrible communicator to the point that it became a real issue. He did play young players though.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I would fully support it. I'm telling put Carbo in for the remaining of the season. At least it would be new ideas. At least we wouldn't have DD on the first line.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I would fully support it. I'm telling put Carbo in for the remaining of the season. At least it would be new ideas. At least we wouldn't have DD on the first line.

What if the players respond well to him and we potentially lose the ability to draft in the top 5? That would be a complete disaster. I say keep Therrien behind that bench and lets go 2-28 to end the year, rispek da plan!!!!

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
What if the players respond well to him and we potentially lose the ability to draft in the top 5? That would be a complete disaster. I say keep Therrien behind that bench and lets go 2-28 to end the year, rispek da plan!!!!

Exactly. At this point Therrien is the best shot we have at landing a top pick. Keep doing what you're doing Michel! :yo:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

I don't think MT is as bad as you say. I really don't. Look at his numbers when he was promoted from the AHL for example. 3 straight QMJHL finals(1 championship), always made playoffs in AHL, made finals in NHL, etc... So yah, I don't think 'a janitor could do better' as you put it yesterday. I really don't think he's that bad. I also think possession metrics based on shots are overrated, I always have and I still do. We now have a much better shot metric but are worse, so what?

As for Hitchcock, he's like Martin for me. Boucher didn't trap all the time and one thing he's good at is PP which can be the difference between winning and losing for us.

Didnt he have Vinny, st louis and Stamkos ?? He would really have to trap with the habs lineup.

He never needed to trap. The year prior they signed big name free agents on D like Ohlund and they even acquired a lot of NHL D at deadline.

He trapped because he wanted to employ that strategy, he wasn't forced to as people say.

Boucher would be interesting, I would not mind them taking a peak at Benoit Groulx, he is imo the best French speaking coach not currently hired in the NHL (along with Boucher). I mean if they want to really get the first pick we could change Therrien for Lefebvre... for the rest of the season.

As mentioned, not entirely sure Boucher is the best french coach available. I is probably on top of the list. IMO I would like to see Carbo come back as an assistant.

My choice would be Benoit Groulx with Carbo and Daighault as assistant.

Apparently Groulx is a hard ass. Not sure people would like him.

Boucher may not be best coach available but he knows a lot of our players so it helps I think. He has inside track and his PP work is very good.

The funny part is Carbo is the reason habs signed DD in first place. He owns the team that DD played for in junior and pushed habs to acquire him.

In addition, the "boys club" jokes would be worse.

Carbo was assistant to MT in his first stint as habs head coach.
Carbo, DD and MB are all alumni of the Chicoutimi sagueneens.
Carbo was on RDS.
Carbo would be a recycled head coach.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
As others have said keep Michel for the rest of the season as he is working wonders when it comes to tanking. If we win the lottery he should put it on his resumé when he is on the unemployment line.

If management is insistent on a French coach Boucher is the only good choice.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
As others have said keep Michel for the rest of the season as he is working wonders when it comes to tanking. If we win the lottery he should put it on his resumé when he is on the unemployment line.

Serious question, if not a French coach, who is a good choice?

Again, I'm not pro French coach but I can't even think of a good English coach who is available right now.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Serious question, if not a French coach, who is a good choice?

Again, I'm not pro French coach but I can't even think of a good English coach who is available right now.

No you are right. There aren't many options at all regardless of language.

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire

What if we hire Carbo as interim for the rest of the season, but we still sell at the deadline while calling up the kids for playing experience thus hurting our odds of making the playoffs. Besides with the way the lottery is set up this year we don't really need to end dead last to have a chance at the top 3 picks. say we stay where we are at 7th from last after selling the vets and playing the kids, I'd see that as a decent draft position with solid odds we get a top 3 pick.

We could also wait until the deadline to sell and hire an interim coach to increase our odds of ending lower in the standings. Either way, I think letting the kids develop while also testing out a coach would be a better use of our time instead of purely focusing on ending dead last where we could still end up with the 4th overall instead of a top 3.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

What about Bridget Bardot? She's French. Sooner or later this inane inbreeding has to stop or we'll have to wait another 25 years for a Stanley Cup.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Heard an interview with Pascal Vincent this week. He's been assistant coach with the Jets since 2011. Sounds like a smart, level-headed guy. Apparently well appreciated by the players. Of course, when you're assistant coach, you're more of a confidant for players, you don't have decision-making ability about critical player issues, like playing time. Vincent, now 44, mentioned that he feels he is ready for a coaching position, whether with the Jets or elsewhere.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Heard an interview with Pascal Vincent this week. He's been assistant coach with the Jets since 2011. Sounds like a smart, level-headed guy. Apparently well appreciated by the players. Of course, when you're assistant coach, you're more of a confidant for players, you don't have decision-making ability about critical player issues, like playing time. Vincent, now 44, mentioned that he feels he is ready for a coaching position, whether with the Jets or elsewhere.

Is he friends with Bergie? no1 requirement.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Pascal Vincent is a good option but still not sure that a market like Montreal is a good place to start for his NHL Head-coach career. But he's been in the NHL for 5 years now and he's been in the Montreal lower market with the Montreal Juniors so it might compensate a little.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

He doesn't even have AHL head coach experience. Something tells me he'll need to start there.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't think MT is as bad as you say. I really don't. Look at his numbers when he was promoted from the AHL for example. 3 straight QMJHL finals(1 championship), always made playoffs in AHL, made finals in NHL, etc... So yah, I don't think 'a janitor could do better' as you put it yesterday.
Can't comment on his performance in that league. Terry Ryan can though. Not sure if you've heard his opinion but it carries some weight for me. Maybe it's bias confirmation but Therrien sounds like an absolute clown from his AHL days, never mind the recent toenail and farting stories that have come out.

I'll take the janitor.
I really don't think he's that bad. I also think possession metrics based on shots are overrated, I always have and I still do. We now have a much better shot metric but are worse, so what?
Whether possession metrics are underrated or not we've looked terrible the past two years. And he did in fact have the Pens dead last in shots for and bottom third in shots against and out of the playoffs. He also has never managed to get his team in the playoffs without stellar netminding. The only season that's an exception was 2013 and even then Price was amazing for 4/5ths of the season.
As for Hitchcock, he's like Martin for me. Boucher didn't trap all the time and one thing he's good at is PP which can be the difference between winning and losing for us.
I'm not sure about Hitch. He seems to have change tactics a little bit and isn't as much of a trapper. Definitely gets results wherever he goes. He'd be a massive improvement for sure.

Maybe Boucher's the right guy... I would not oppose his hiring.
No rookie coaches. Next year has to be our year to go for a cup. We can't waste it training somebody on the job.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Can't comment on his performance in that league. Terry Ryan can though. Not sure if you've heard his opinion but it carries some weight for me. Maybe it's bias confirmation but Therrien sounds like an absolute clown from his AHL days, never mind the recent toenail and farting stories that have come out.

I'll take the janitor.

Whether possession metrics are underrated or not we've looked terrible the past two years. And he did in fact have the Pens dead last in shots for and bottom third in shots against and out of the playoffs. He also has never managed to get his team in the playoffs without stellar netminding. The only season that's an exception was 2013 and even then Price was amazing for 4/5ths of the season.

I'm not sure about Hitch. He seems to have change tactics a little bit and isn't as much of a trapper. Definitely gets results wherever he goes. He'd be a massive improvement for sure.

Maybe Boucher's the right guy... I would not oppose his hiring.

Bold? Fleury gave stellar netminding? Eh. Generally speaking, you need a starter to play like one. People give Boucher and other hopefuls all the credit in the world because he didn't get good goaltending and should be given benefit of the doubt. Same with a lot of guys really.

Hitch is a well respected coach and he absolutely would be an improvement but he's still not a great coach IMO. He's a tier above MT and as is a guy like Martin. Nothing wrong with him though. Just not my style.

I wouldn't oppose Boucher either. My only issue is the notion that he's a savior or any coach is. A lot of people want MT gone and say we'd do better but few are willing to straight up say that with a healthy price said coach can make us win a cup or bring us to the finals. If a new coach brings us to 2nd or 3rd round like MT or god forbid less then what makes him better? Because he plays X player people like more or less?

I already know when Eller is still a 3rd liner with a new coach we'll hear how "It's too late, MT ruined him" or if Galchenyuk isn't a superstar...same story. Man...he's mismanaged some players but the excuses will be golden.

This is what I said about MT in 2013:

Coaches like Therrien don't have a long shelf life. They go into teams, create structure and discipline and once the young players buy in and mature...he becomes average.

That's when better coaches come in.

At this point, he's still working on phase 1 so he's got some time.

I thought he had a little more time in him(I was wrong) but unless they make an epic comeback and make playoffs he's finished IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->