Rumor: NOT AGAIN Carbo met with Habs Management?

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to fire Therrien now. Here's why:

1. Price isn't close to a return, whether he is ready or not shortly, odds are the season is gone by then, barring a miracle. Unless God himself blesses his son Jesus Price by saying you are ready to go, I won't take an ounce of a chance rushing him in the hopes of creating any kind of come back this season. Why would we, we are clearly not a Price away from being contenders.

2. Who do we replace him with? Bergevin? Lefebvre? Boucher? Ok Boucher might be interesting but I'm willing to bet he'll still be here in summer, if not other coaches might become available.

3. This is a great draft year, we'd be stupid not consider what could happen. Lets be honest, Therrien is the best at crushing this team all the way down the standings at this point.

4. By allowing this freakshow to go on, we have an odd chance that even in a losing cause, some players might show some sparkle and attract attention elsewhere therefore raising their value, even if slightly, for a trade. I'm looking at you Plekanec, Markov, Desharnais, Weiss, Gilbert and co.

1/ Shouldn't matter

2/ Doesn't matter. The longer MT stays the less likely MB holds his job. The players have clearly stopped playing for MT. They're still playing his system, but not improvising within it. Losing multiple games by 4-2 is no coincidence. Stay within one goal. Let in an empty netter. When was the last time that wasn't the paradigm.

3/ No guarantee in the lottery and the PO's are where Molson makes the real cash.

4/ They lose value every day and the toxic atmosphere gets worse, no UFA will want to sign here under those conditions.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Well all I said was that surely there are good French speaking coaches available. You seemed to disagree. I'm not going to research all the possible French speaking coaches in the world but I'm guessing one could be found.

I'm sure one could be found but don't you think it would be better to separate the pile of coaches between good coaches and bad coaches instead of english coaches and french coaches. I'm willing to wager that the pile of french speaking coaches will be much smaller.

We are led to believe that the apocalypse would happen if we named an english coach. But then again do the Alouettes have a french coach? Do the Impact? Did the Expos have a french coach? Don't they have local french canadian players on their team too? Doesn't that mean that they need a french coach? How else is the coach supposed to communicate with these players? What makes the Canadiens the exception? Should winning not be the priority above ALL else? Is this a joke?

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
So the impression I am getting is that it is more important to have a French speaking coach so that he can communicate with the media than it is to have a coach who can communicate with the players. How has that worked so far?

Psy9L0.gif

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
can i just say the smug look of satisfaction MT has on his face right after shooting down Gallo with his second guessing comment is so amazing he's like awwwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaaa ***** feel the pain!

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
can i just say the smug look of satisfaction MT has on his face right after shooting down Gallo with his second guessing comment is so amazing he's like awwwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaaa ***** feel the pain!

I've made the same facial expression after delivering a heavily-sarcastic comment, intended to cause the party to become frustrated.

Seeing Therrien do it... I know understand my wife's anger towards me every time I did it to her. :laugh:

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Frankly, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been closed. It's already been stated that Carbo talked to someone in Habs management during a trade show with like 100 other people present. Nothing here to really discuss imho.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
What a thread!

So much needless anxiety. :shakehead

Carbo was a great Hab... and a key player of both the 1986 cup and the 1993 cup (+ Dallas in 1999).

"Ca sens La Coupe", was his dressing room quote in 93, I believe.

Yes he has been a mainstay AC, but he is also not some NHL hockey novice.

Around here he is associated with "a team full of Kostopoulos'" and team bowling. :)

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
People need to stop worrying about the French coach issue right now.

At the time, MT was best coach available. No...they weren't going to fire him for Babcock...no one does that.

Now...it's probably Boucher.

Coincidence? Absolutely but I really don't think this is the argument we should be having now because it would yield Boucher in the end anyway.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
People need to stop worrying about the French coach issue right now.

At the time, MT was best coach available.
An RDS guy who'd been out of the game for three years after having the eventual Stanley Cup winners out of the playoffs and 30th in shots?

Yeah... no.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
An RDS guy who'd been out of the game for three years after having the eventual Stanley Cup winners out of the playoffs and 30th in shots?

Yeah... no.

Regardless of what you feel about MT the next best coach now is Boucher right? So having the French debate now is extremely pointless.

Not to mention being out of the game when you're a vet coach is very common. When MT lost his first job he went back to the AHL. When Boucher lost his first job he went to Switzerland. Trust me, when Boucher gets another NHL gig and eventually gets fired(they all do, nothing against Guy) he won't go back to the AHL or Switzerland. He'll just sit back and wait for an offer like MT did. Same applies to any young coach.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Regardless of what you feel about MT the next best coach now is Boucher right? So having the French debate now is extremely pointless.
I don't know if Boucher's the right fit for this team. I can tell you I think he'd be a million times better than what we have but that's not really saying anything.

If MB thinks Boucher's the guy I guess I'd be okay with it. If he's not though then I'd prefer we just hire an interim coach and look again in the Summer. The idea that we can hire from a pool of two French NHL coaches seems ludicrous to me to be honest. But if Boucher's good then I'm cool with it. I don't know enough about him to have a strong opinion on him one way or the other.

Not to mention being out of the game when you're a vet coach is very common. When MT lost his first job he went back to the AHL. When Boucher lost his first job he went to Switzerland. Trust me, when Boucher gets another NHL gig and eventually gets fired(they all do, nothing against Guy) he won't go back to the AHL or Switzerland. He'll just sit back and wait for an offer like MT did. Same applies to any young coach.
Great. But sitting in a studio doesn't reflect any kind of demand for the guy. He's not the hot property you're trying to portray. I can't remember who was available at the time but I hated this decision and time has proven me right. He's an awful coach and I can't wait until we get rid of this guy - hopefully this time forever. If we were going to pick a guy who'd been sitting on his ass I'd have preferred Jacques Demers about a million times more than Therrien.

Boucher... I don't know. I wouldn't hate the pick but I don't think I'd love it either. Good that he's worked with some of these guys but bad that some of the guys have ripped on him. He doesn't come across as a players' coach and that's what I think we need right now. We've had four years of Mr Hardass and it's time to ease up a little.

Last edited:

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
"Take Scott and send him to the AHL, and make sure you get into lottery territory, and I'll take care of the rest. wink wink."
-Bettman, to Bergevin
But Scott went to Allstar game so the original secret negotiation is off:shakehead

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I don't know if Boucher's the right fit for this team. I can tell you I think he'd be a million times better than what we have but that's not really saying anything.

If MB thinks Boucher's the guy I guess I'd be okay with it. If he's not though then I'd prefer we just hire an interim coach and look again in the Summer. The idea that we can hire from a pool of two French NHL coaches seems ludicrous to me to be honest. But if Boucher's good then I'm cool with it. I don't know enough about him to have a strong opinion on him one way or the other.

I'll make it clear, I'm not on the pro-French bandwagon. I wasn't happy when we hired MT and I hated it for a long time. I just think given who is available it's going to be a French coach regardless so I'll save my breath this time.

Great. But sitting in a studio doesn't reflect any kind of demand for the guy. He's not the hot property you're trying to portray. I can't remember who was available at the time but I hated this decision and time has proven me right. He's an awful coach and I can't wait until we get rid of this guy - hopefully this time forever. If we were going to pick a guy who'd been sitting on his ass I'd have preferred Jacques Demers about a million times more than Therrien.

Boucher... I don't know. I wouldn't hate the pick but I don't think I'd love it either. Good that he's worked with some of these guys but bad that some of the guys have ripped on him. He doesn't come across as a players' coach and that's what I think we need right now. We've had four years of Mr Hardass and it's time to ease up a little.

When did I say he was a hot property? All I said is he didn't go work in Switzerland or the AHL or whatever because he didn't think he needed to.

No to Jacques Demers, please.

As for Boucher, he's already been in organization so he has an inside track IMO. I'm just wondering who you'd like...that isn't already hired obviously. I didn't know that people ripped on Boucher actually, I thought he was generally liked or didn't have enough time to be disliked.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I'd kill for a Kirk Muller, Guy Carbonneau and Larry Robinson coaching team right now. Bring back the glory and save us from this era of losers!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If Carbonneau once said "I have no idea what to do anymore...." Can't believe what he'd be saying now...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad