Nostalgic Memorable Leafs Games

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
i think my favourite playoff series was vs. the Islanders. This was when Yashin, Peca and Osgood were playing for that team. I believe we had home adv, and went up 2-0 in the series and went to Long Island and the series was tied 2-2. we played our home game (game 5) and led the series 3-2. Islanders tied up the series 3-3 in game 6 and we won the series in game 7. basically the teams one each of their home game. thank god we had home ice adv. :laugh:

also, the ottawa series were fun to watch as well. but the most heart breaking playoff series that i watched was when the leafs went up against the carolina hurricanes and lost in 6 games to them in the ECFs. Cujo was amazing in that series and ****in Artus Irbe (a no-name goalie) played like a god for carolina. we were losing that game (game 6) 1-0, Sundin tied it up in the final minute to make it 1-1 but lost the game in OT by a goal by Jeff O'Neil. -_-

worst summer ever. seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCtVN6OrpA0

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was 6 years old watching this series...one of my earliest Maple Leaf memories. Nice find and thanks for posting it. Took me right back to sitting in front of the big wooden tv in the living room in my first house...begging my parents to let me stay up for the whole game. :)

Cheers mate, my dad and I watched this game together. We still talk about how Ian Turnbull, a pretty peaceful guy but strong as an ox, jumped off the bench to even out the players on the ice. 2 guys were beating on Hutchinson and he stormed off the bench to right that wrong. Loved it as a Leafs fan.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
i think my favourite playoff series was vs. the Islanders. This was when Yashin, Peca and Osgood were playing for that team. I believe we had home adv, and went up 2-0 in the series and went to Long Island and the series was tied 2-2. we played our home game (game 5) and led the series 3-2. Islanders tied up the series 3-3 in game 6 and we won the series in game 7. basically the teams one each of their home game. thank god we had home ice adv. :laugh:

also, the ottawa series were fun to watch as well. but the most heart breaking playoff series that i watched was when the leafs went up against the carolina hurricanes and lost in 6 games to them in the ECFs. Cujo was amazing in that series and ****in Artus Irbe (a no-name goalie) played like a god for carolina. we were losing that game (game 6) 1-0, Sundin tied it up in the final minute to make it 1-1 but lost the game in OT by a goal by Jeff O'Neil. -_-

That's a funny way to spell Martin Gelinas.

Bruinguy

Here we are again!
Nov 18, 2003
Stuck in LeafNation
I know I'm on the Leafs board but I'd been to a number of games, especially at MLG. The hands down, most nostalgic game I attended in my opinion was watching rookie coach Steve Kasper of the Bruins dress and then bench both Cam Neely and Kevin Stevens. The Stevens part didn't bother me a lot but Neely of course did. Game was a 4-4 tie and I remember Boston fans screaming to put Neely on the ice. Utter embarrassment for a guy who gave everything to that team for almost 10 years at that point.
Happy memory, no... but I've never forgotten that game.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Before putting up a tough fight despite losing 4-0 to MTL (in round 3), the Leafs first beat NYI in a thrilling series in the quarter finals with Lanny MacDonald scoring the winner in OT of game 7. This was a HUGE upset and was definitely the high point for Leaf fans until Fletcher, Burns and Gilmour came along 15 years later. NYI was already a super strong team and two years later started their 4 year cup run. Torontos biggest star (apologies to Sittler) Borje Salming got injured in game 4 I think it was of that series and the Leafs seemed to be doomed but others stepped up including Ian Turnbull who played the best hockey of his life in those playoffs (before fading to obscurity almost immediately afterwards) and Randy Carlyle who didn't put up a lot of points but played really well after Salming went down despite having only 100 games or so of NHL experience.

I would say that the "additions" Jim Gregory made in fact marked the beginning of a seemingly endless era of dumb trades the Leafs made. The 2 big trades that were supposed to "get them over the hump" brought in Dave Hutchinson and Dave Burrows. Hutchinson sucked big time and Burrows was just average and when you consider what the Leafs gave up for these guys the trades were unquestionably awful, the most notable player being Randy Carlyle who went on to win the Norris trophy a couple of years later. This set the tone for the future, the Leafs would go on to impatiently trade away tons of young players who ended up having solid careers elsewhere and the team went steadily downhill until the death of their seemingly Pejorative Slured owner Harold Ballard may god have mercy on his soul.

Solid trades myass.

Here's Lanny's goal (just notice someone already posted it, oh well, it's worthy of repeating :) ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rptpVloPyYk

Here it is, I remember that Mcdonald goal like it was yesterday. That was a tough series against The Isles. Lanny actually had a fractured wrist I recall and his usual hard wrister caught Chico off balance. Great series, one of the toughest and certainly one of my favorite Leafs moments.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
I vividly remember the 6-5 game vs Buffalo in 2004. I remember listening to the 3rd period on the radio in the car, and just arriving home as Mogilny tied it up!

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
I must have been 12-13 but I remember when Tucker plastered Kapanen(?) into the boards and I went absolutely ape ****. And then when Roenick finished us in OT. Will never, ever forget that game.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
This has been an unbelievable turn of events!

The Leafs march on and the Red Wings have been eliminated.

I've got that committed to memory, Passion Returns is a must-watch for every Leaf fan.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Today's contribution is the best game I have ever witnessed as a Leafs fan.

Magical year, we were big underdogs going into Detroit after getting blown out of the rink in game 6 in Toronto. Detroit were a powerhouse this year. Odds were firmly stacked against us. But we had Dougie and one hell of a coach in Burns.

Game 7, Detroit Joe Louis arena, very hostile environment. Most intense game I have ever watched. My hands were numb after this game. If you were not born when this series was on, I truly hope we see another one like it.

What a game, and what a call by Cole and Neale.

Saw thread title..immediately thought of this game.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
Quick YouTube search revealed nothing but I was at the Doug Gilmour 6 assist game against Minnesota in 1993. It was just a special night. Being a kid (9 years old). My Dad taking me to the game on a Saturday night at Maple Leaf Gardens. And then Dougie had that night.

As far as best Leafs games ever - the one in Buffalo that has been posted is pretty tough to beat. The crowd at the bottom of the screen on the tying goal, at a road game...that is why I am proud to be a Leafs fan.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Without a doubt, I would have to say Game 5 in the first round against Detroit in 1993. The Leafs were down 4-1 in the 2nd period and stormed all the way back to win it in OT on a goal by Mike Foligno, changing the momentum in that memorable series that we went on to win a spectacular manner thanks to Nik Borschevsky's winner in OT in game 7...

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I beleive that the Isles went on to win 4 cups in a row after that season. Players like Potvin, Bossy, Trottier, Smith. Great team to beat.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I beleive that the Isles went on to win 4 cups in a row after that season. Players like Potvin, Bossy, Trottier, Smith. Great team to beat.

Almost. The next season they were huge favorites in the semi-finals aganst NY but lost. I'm not 100% sure if my memory is accurate but I think it may have been John Van-Biesbrouck playing like a god in net for NY. That was the year where the other semi had MTL winning against Don Cherry's Bruins after BOS was leading by a goal with 2 minutes to go in game 7 and they got called for too many men on the ice, MTL tied with a Lafleur goal and went on to win in OT. That was probably my all-time memorable game in the NHL, just unbelievable drama and boy was I ever rooting hard for the Bruins (or perhaps I should say against MTL).

Then the next season, NYI finally broke through and won 4 cups in a row. In addition to the ones you mentioned I also remember Tonelli, Gillies, Nystrom, Ken Morrow, Butch Goring. What a sick awesome team that was!

Interesting trivial tidbit - in 80-81 when they won their first cup, they played the Leafs again, this time in the first round. They were overwhelming favorites and this time made no mistakes. The series was a best of 5 and they outscored Toronto 20-4, yes they won 3 straight LOL.

seekritdude

May 3, 2009
www.facebook.com

irbe.. a no name goalie? Not sure if joking or not. But irbe>cujo. Irbe played with some of the worst teams in the history of the game come on. *rolls eyes*

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
irbe.. a no name goalie? Not sure if joking or not. But irbe>cujo. Irbe played with some of the worst teams in the history of the game come on. *rolls eyes*

Okay I might have exaggerated a bit by calling him a no-name goalie, but come on, how is irbe better than cujo? In the canes-leafs series, sure irbe was better than cujo but overall, cujo had the better career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad