North-Eastern division future stars ??

• Thread starter KaptainKourage*
  • Start date

Boston

Captain Chara
Oct 3, 2005
4- Chara/Jurcina (Want to see what Chara will do without Redden, dont see much of Jurcina before)

Chara and Redden never played together...maybe on the PP but that is it.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
But in 5 years it's not like Miller will be past his prime, he will be right in the middle of his prime.

I don't want to sound like a homer but I find it surprising that you have Buffalo 4th overall in the division. They don't have the high end prospects that other teams in the NE have but they have a solid young core that should be around for a while. They've got Connolly, Roy, Pominville, Gaustad, Paille (part time), Vanek, Campbell, Tallinder, Kalinin, and Miller who were all in their starting line-up last year who are all 26 or younger. Overall you did a pretty good job though, good read.

And if they all have standout seasons, you won't be keeping them all. Mind you only Vanek/Miller of that group will probably be star players. Solid nonetheless.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006

Ick? Tallinder was quite possibly the best defenseman in the East during the playoffs. They are entering their prime together on affordable deals.

It is really hard to judge a team 5 years down the road. The top pairing may be Sekera-Paetsch by then :dunno: . 3 years (I don't dare even guess the roster further from that) from now the 6 defensemen I'd guess will be Lydman, Tallinder, Spacek, Sekera, Paetsch, _____. The blank could be Campbell/Kalinin back, a UFA defenseman, or another young guy.

There are only 4 players under contract for 5 years in the NE division: Bergeron, Chara, Kubina, and McCabe. There are so many trades and UFA signings, I don't think you can accurately judge what a team will look like next year, let alone 5 years down the road. In 5 years, a team can win the Cup, fall apart, rebuild, and contend again...

Buffalo Stylee

Apr 4, 2004
Buffalo/Niagara
Emery is as good or better then Miller at the same age, while Toivenan beats them both badly.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Yeah Emery sure proved that in the playoffs against Buffalo last year right? Toivenan hasn't even played half a full season in the NHL yet while Miller played last year and played incredibly. Watch more hockey man.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
And if they all have standout seasons, you won't be keeping them all. Mind you only Vanek/Miller of that group will probably be star players. Solid nonetheless.

Possibly but we don't need standout seasons out of them, all we need is for them all to keep improving. Most of them are signed to multi-year contracts anyways.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Who will be the big names on north eastern division in 5 years on each teams ? Some players will still be here in 5 years like Spezza, Markov, Steen, Briere (well if he dont fall UFA), Bergeron...

For the goalies : Raycroft, Toivonen, Price, Miller & Emery. I would rank them like that :

1- Miller
2- Toivonen
3- Price
4- Raycroft
5- Emery (I really cant see him still be around in 5 years.. hope Sens will grab a good goalie in the next draft or they are in big trouble, Gerber will be done in 2011)

At defence... Markov-Komisarek/Kaberle-Colaiacovo/Redden-Meszjaros/Campbell-Kalinin/Chara-Jurcina. I would rank them like that :

1- Redden/Meszjaros (Redden will still have some good year ahead of him while Meszjaros will reach his peak)
2- Markov/Komisarek (Amazing duo IMO)
3- Kaberle/Colaiacovo (Im not high on Colaiacovo. Not at all.)
4- Chara/Jurcina (Want to see what Chara will do without Redden, dont see much of Jurcina before)
5- Kalinin/Campbell (Ok 1st pairing, nothing more, hope they will sign a good UFA at D soon. )

Forwards... Hard to compare, so many good prospects on each teams. I'll try to rank them :

1- Boston (Special K squad + Bergeron and Boyes. Now that scary. )
2- Ottawa (Alfredsson will be old, Heatley & Spezza will remains an amazing duo though. Kaigorodov may be better than some people think)
3- Buffalo (solid group of young forwards lead by Briere, Afingoenov & Vanek)
4- Montreal*
5- Toronto*
*(Montreal is ahead of Toronto but not by far. I think their NHL ready prospect are similar with Higgins, Plekanec - Steen, Stajan but Habs have much more better prospects in the organization/farm with Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Grabovski. Also, Ryder by far better than Wellwood, Koivu younger than Sundin. )

Overall ranking :
Wow. Now that hard...

1- Boston (I hate them. I hate them. I hate them. I HATE THEM. But they have a very good young core.)
2- Ottawa (They wont be better in 5 years but they will still be an elite team. Still no Cup though. )
3- Montreal (Dont want to sounds like a homer but I am high on much of our prospects and we may ends in top 6 of the conference for years to come)
4- Buffalo (Will fight for playoff spot every years. )
5- Toronto (Surprising, from a Habs fan eh ? )

Discuss.

PS : If mods think this topic should be on NHL General talk... just move it i dont mind...

IMO, I think Toivenen has a better upside than Miller. He should be the the stud goalie of the future in this dvision. He does some things as a goaltender that just isn't fair.

I'm not sure what your defense criteria is. Is this your future #1 d-pairing for each team? If so, that's a very tough thing to gauge because its a very subjective thing to say that these are going to be the #1 pairings. As for your list, its very hard to differentiate after Redden and Meszjaros.

overall, thanks for an interesting read :clap:

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Yeah Emery sure proved that in the playoffs against Buffalo last year right? Toivenan hasn't even played half a full season in the NHL yet while Miller played last year and played incredibly. Watch more hockey man.

That's because Toivenan is four years younger then Miller, while Emery could not have proved that he was better then Miller in the playoffs at the same age, because at Emery's age, Miller was only given 3 games (all losses) in the NHL. Miller is basically in his prime and he played well, but hardly great behind a good defence that took away most of the good chances. Emery still has a lot of work to do o positioning and rebound control before he reaches his prime. He has the potential to be a better goalie in two years then Miller.

bayrider

Jun 4, 2006
Montreal
LOL Whats the big deal with Pogge? He benefited by playing in the best team in his league and on top of that, the guy's gear is bigger than what Patrick Roy wore.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Price not behind Pogge.
But you still have a better goaltender than us with Ras... nvm

Price sure was when it came to the World Juniors, and stats sure back it up.

It's all a matter of oppinion, much like the ratings you've done here. I've given my oppinion, but the only way we'll ever know who truly is better will be when they hit the NHL.

Also, for the record, Rask is better than Pogge, and will have the better career (IMO).

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
That's because Toivenan is four years younger then Miller, while Emery could not have proved that he was better then Miller in the playoffs at the same age, because at Emery's age, Miller was only given 3 games (all losses) in the NHL. Miller is basically in his prime and he played well, but hardly great behind a good defence that took away most of the good chances. Emery still has a lot of work to do o positioning and rebound control before he reaches his prime. He has the potential to be a better goalie in two years then Miller.

While I agree about Toivonen, I strongly disagree with regards to Emery. Miller is not in his prime yet, goalies don't usually hit their prime til close to 30 years old. The same argument you used for making Miller look good (good defense) could also be used for Emery but to even more of an extent. Sure, Emery has the potential to be better in two years than Miller but I wouldn't be surprised if Miller is the better goalie for their entire careers.

Geese_Howard*

HFboards = Fortune Telling 101, I swear, most of the posters think they can tell the future ;)

Killercan7*

The thing is that a team need a true #1 goalie to be the best team of a division. So yes, maybe Ottawa have the best bunch of young talent but they wont do anything if they dont find a better goalie than Emery.

Montreal, Buffalo, Boston have good depth at goalie position and a true number 1 tender. Leafs may too with Pogge.. he is between boom and bust IMO, but they really make a big mistake in trading Rask... But Ottawa ? Kelly Guard ?? Eww

WOW Big mistake tradsin Rask Eh, when the Season hasnt even Started good Job Buddy. u never know Rask, might not pan out. And we traded him to get a startin goaltender this yr, and we knew we had Pogge, in our system.

Buffalo Stylee

Apr 4, 2004
Buffalo/Niagara

Miller is in his prime? After one season? I think not. Face it, Miller is better than Emery. Toivenan is yet to even prove himself with a decent regular season, let alone a great playoff like Miller has.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Lets throw our rookie goaltender under the bus for 1 bad game! Patrick Roy never did the statue of Liberty, Martin Brodeur never put a dump-in into his own net, and no goalie has ever had a bad game, except for 1, Ray Emery. RE-FREAKING-DICULOUS.

Slippery

Jan 22, 2004
:biglaugh: You're kidding, right?

reading comprehension people! Emery and Miller are presently not the same age, nor ever will be. The post stated that at the age Emery was last year (22) he was better than Miller was at that age (22). So no, not a joke, and i think all would be able to admit that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad