North Division smear still lives

Status
Not open for further replies.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
They are having a tough time finishing a team with 1 center and no power play so the smear ain’t that far off…

And yeah most teams are made of of Canadians, it’s just fun ribbing north division fans.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Vegas is the team with the most Canadian players. Canadian teams can only beat teams from Canada or with the most Canadians on roster.
42% of the players in the league are from Canada so odds are any team is going to have more players from Canada than anywhere else.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
if a canadian franchise can't win, the canadians start taking credit for player nationality. happens every year when their pride gets hit.

95% of Canadians don’t give a single F if a Canadian franchise not from their city wins.

Think of it this way, do you cheer for the Hawks or Wings if St Louis is out?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I never understood this. Yeah... the Cup has not been won by a Canadian team since 93, but there's very little correlation between local/homegrown talent and where the players end up.

The Stanley Cup is an NHL award - which is irrespective of local talent, so I don't particularly care where it's won unless it's my team where I'll be extra happy.

And to make matters even more meaningless for the nationality stuff, each player has a day with the Cup and bring it in their own communities... so even if the Cup is won in Tampa, if I they have Quebec players on the roster, they'll bring them back around and I'll get to see the Cup/ take part in the festivities with them.

We should totally split the olympic teams by province/regions to get more tight tournaments though ;)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Isn't Tampa the team that's the least Canadian (or close to it)? Would make for a stupid yet amusing narrative in the SCF if it came to it.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I never understood this. Yeah... the Cup has not been won by a Canadian team since 93, but there's very little correlation between local/homegrown talent and where the players end up.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the players involved on Stanley Cup winners and where they come from.

It is in part statistical oddity (pick any random 6.5 teams that are grouped by something similar and say they will each go the next 27+ years without a Stanley Cup between them and you'd say that's highly unlikely), in part something worth having a chuckle about given how hockey rabid Canadian fans support Canadian franchises that keep mismanaging themselves into the salary cap era such that even when they do sprout up a lot talented rosters they've managed to squander it. Keep in mind this is in backdrop of some in the media or wherever deeming Canadian cities as inherently more worthy of NHL Franchises and claiming that franchises in "non-traditional" markets shouldn't exist or should be relocated.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh the North wasnt strong,who cares....Which division you came out of really doesnt matter at all ,the teams that are there deserve to be there

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Said differently, either a Canadian team will win or a bunch of Canadian players will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad